Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Collecting On A Budget

I'm going to see what goes on at comic con this year. Ebay prices are crazy. Not sure if there is shill bidding or people are just spending that much. Ridiculous prices and still rising. I'm only looking for filler and beater figures to display with the playsets and vehicles as dioramas. I'm really happy my main collection has been completed. Why are loose incomplete ewoks going for 10 each. These used to be sold in lots for less than 20 for 4 to 5 ewoks. Forget jawas or stormtrooper building. Wow.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    I'm going to see what goes on at comic con this year. Ebay prices are crazy. Not sure if there is shill bidding or people are just spending that much. Ridiculous prices and still rising. I'm only looking for filler and beater figures to display with the playsets and vehicles as dioramas. I'm really happy my main collection has been completed. Why are loose incomplete ewoks going for 10 each. These used to be sold in lots for less than 20 for 4 to 5 ewoks. Forget jawas or stormtrooper building. Wow.
    Yeah, it is to the point where just about all beaters are going for more now. And speaking of Ewoks, it seems there is a recent, perhaps, surge in love for our furry little friends? Talking with a local vintage toy dealer here, he made a comment that he "could not keep Ewoks in stock for some reason!" He was quite surprised. I noticed a surge in price for all of them. A lot of people also group Ewoks in lots and call them 'Last 17', which leads to some confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    I think a lot of us can relate. Iíve been collecting for 20+ years and still donít have a huge budget even though Iíve got a pretty well paying job. I would say step one, nail the job down. Thatís priority number one that will help fuel the collecting budget. Next step is really get a good handle for the going price of everything Star Wars if thatís what youíre collecting. Then keep an eye out for collections when they come up for sale. What I do is value the entire collection, have an understanding of what I can resell most of it for, and keep the cream of the crop. That way your tying up some of your investment but recouping it after the remainder of the figures sell. Good example, a couple weeks back I bought a collection for $200 bucks. I kept the rancor (which Iíve always wanted), a complete Max Rebo band set, and about six other figures. Afterwards I turned around and sold the rest of the collection on eBay for about $380. Made some profit that goes to buying some harder to find pieces and virtually was able to keep some figures for free. Thatís how Iíve built my collection over the years and ultimately havenít spent much on it other than my time (which is worth it from an educational standpoint because I love the hobby that much). Anyways thatís my advice, but job first.
    Even though I collect more statues than figures these days, this is an excellent post and you are correct that we all can relate. I also have a good job, have been collecting over 20 years as well and yet I waited 4 years for example to get a statue I really wanted recently finally at a price I was content paying. I could of bought it anytime but it was like the trench pilot in ANH "almost there..."

I have also waited on certain figures to go down to what I consider reasonable price before buying. Mostly this works out (waiting), other times you can get burnt if the market picks up on what you are trying to get. So far I have done very well on all but two pieces that I had to pay much more than I would of had I got them right away, but overall patience is the key. Especially if you have limited funds.

I also recycle funds a lot by selling off certain items in my sports collection and use the money from those sells to buy more items quite often as well. That keeps my wife happy .
    "He's no good to me dead"

Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    Yeah, it is to the point where just about all beaters are going for more now. And speaking of Ewoks, it seems there is a recent, perhaps, surge in love for our furry little friends? Talking with a local vintage toy dealer here, he made a comment that he "could not keep Ewoks in stock for some reason!" He was quite surprised. I noticed a surge in price for all of them. A lot of people also group Ewoks in lots and call them 'Last 17', which leads to some confusion.
    The price of vintage ewoks (also taking into account weapons and accessories) has been on the rise For example a Romba goes for some decnt $ (usually $70+ in good shape,loose, complete, and seems to always be steadily climbing. A few of the ewoks are harder to find than others, but all seem to do well.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    Funny you mentioned about the confusion.. I remember years ago at one time thinking I had them all because of the similarity between a few of them. Years ago I had to go back and find one I thought I had but was missing from the collection because a few looked very similar.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker

My tip: Don't always resort to ebay for expensive figures such as Yak face,Blue snaggletooth,Ev-9d9,R2 pop,Han carbonite,Luke stormtrooper,droids and ewok figures (1985 series) Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by figurefanatic05 View Post
    My tip: Don't always resort to ebay for expensive figures such as Yak face,Blue snaggletooth,Ev-9d9,R2 pop,Han carbonite,Luke stormtrooper,droids and ewok figures (1985 series) Etc.
    Honestly, I wouldn't buy something that would run those prices on ebay at all.
    Salt-licker guy from Crait deserves a figure.
    He made the ultimate sacrifice, licking that dirt to find out what it was. We should respect and honor him with an action figure.
    ~~Rose Tico focus collector~~

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoFighter View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't buy something that would run those prices on ebay at all.
    Yeah sise fromm prices nowadays are a p.i.t.a

Quote Originally Posted by figurefanatic05 View Post
    OOPS! Its R2 pop up not "R2 pop ".
    Last edited by figurefanatic05; 06-04-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123