Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who else loved Clone Wars but was disappointed with Rebels?

I hoped that a show set in the OT era would be what I liked most. I can now say that REbels never reached anywhere close to the level of enjoyment that TCW series delivered. Perhaps Ezra was to be the new Ahsoka type character, but for whatever reason he just didn't. And even though it was cool to get quick cameos of characters like Leia, Lando, Vader, Hondo & Ahsoka, maybe the biggest issue for me is that TCW centered around heroes we knew and loved already, then adding in new characters for us to get to know and love like Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Savage, etc... Whereas in Rebels, we had to hang out with this whole new group of people and get sprinkles of familiar characters. I stuck with it though and hoped that the Phoenix Squadron would grow on me, but never did deliver like TCW characters did. Rebels was def watered down, in line with what TCW season 1 was like...before it really got good. I liked Kanaan ok, and enjoyed Hera to a degree. Best parts of the show were all the cameos, which says it all I guess.
    Looking to trade?
    My Feedback - My Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ESBbobafett View Post
    Yep here here!!!

He was reason I stayed away from watching Rebels at all initially. I used to be really eager to watch seasons of TCW even though I found Ashoka annoying at first (though she’s better than Ezra). However, with Rebels I only started watching it when all seasons were available on free to air. I wanted to check some Mandalorian action and the episode where Ashoka and Vader fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here, here!

Yep Annoying Ezra.
    Wanted some Mando action
    Yep Darth Vader action
    Death trooper action

Yep definitely free to air material

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

was lotsa Mando action in Rebels I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    was lotsa Mando action in Rebels I'd say
    However TCW had more Mando stuff and much better IMO. Maybe the best of Rebels was when Maul found Obi-wan, and as good as it was, it wasn't as good as the Maul vs Obi-wan material in TCW.
    Looking to trade?
    My Feedback - My Trade Thread

no but I was surprised they got more involvement, as TCW was generous w/ it.

Quote Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
    Ezra and Thrawn got stuck on a whale that can jump into hyperspace and they both vanished once said whale went into hyperspace. Supposedly he might still be alive and a Post ROTJ Sabine is in search of him. I wish that was a joke but it's actually the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    I was put off by the half-hour format. by the time each episode would even start to get interesting, it was already over.
    it was like sitting down to eat a meal at your favorite restaurant.. and getting kicked out of the restaurant after the appetizer, but before the main course.
    I found it very unsatisfying every time I sat down to watch. the "portion size" was too small
    I realized early on, it wasn't worth my time to watch each episode weekly on TV -- it was better to wait for blu-rays and "binge watch" this series instead...
    ...and then, I just never got around to buying the blu-rays. I think I have the first two seasons..? I dunno.. I haven't watched them yet.
    I think a one-hour format would have worked better for me, to capture my interest.

beyond that , there's really not much to say about this series.
    over the years I've seen a few episodes -- the ones they keep replaying on disney XD for ratings -- the Maul stuff with the ahsoka fight and Kanan losing his eyesight
    (it seems this is the only episode they replay 'regularly' on TV because it's the only one I've ever tuned into while randomly surfing channels -- I've seen it about 4 times already, but I've never really seen much ELSE from this series).

overall it gave me the same impression as the rest of the star wars EU -- I wouldn't call it a "disappointment" -- it sort if 'is what it is' I guess -- I could take it or leave it.
    (ie: I've read a few comics but I don't collect them, they are what they are; I've read a few novels but I was never really all that impressed with the storylines, they are what they are..
    it's still "star wars" (and it scores points for being star wars), but for what it's worth, it's not really my cup of tea).

I'm starting to realize that the ST movies also fall into this category. its just like any other EU production over the last 20 years. it sort of 'is what it is'.
    it's all EU now. (and not because 'saying it makes it so' LOL -- it's only because of the real world context provided by all the other EU stuff over the last 20 years) -- only because "it is what it is".
    (you can call it something else, if you don't like the "EU" moniker -- but it IS all the same now -- movies, TV, video games, etc.. ask Pablo, if you don't trust me .. HE"LL tell you, in his own words: it's all the same now).
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I hoped that a show set in the OT era would be what I liked most. I can now say that REbels never reached anywhere close to the level of enjoyment that TCW series delivered. Perhaps Ezra was to be the new Ahsoka type character, but for whatever reason he just didn't. And even though it was cool to get quick cameos of characters like Leia, Lando, Vader, Hondo & Ahsoka, maybe the biggest issue for me is that TCW centered around heroes we knew and loved already, then adding in new characters for us to get to know and love like Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Savage, etc... Whereas in Rebels, we had to hang out with this whole new group of people and get sprinkles of familiar characters. I stuck with it though and hoped that the Phoenix Squadron would grow on me, but never did deliver like TCW characters did. Rebels was def watered down, in line with what TCW season 1 was like...before it really got good. I liked Kanaan ok, and enjoyed Hera to a degree. Best parts of the show were all the cameos, which says it all I guess.
    Yes, yes, yes. Weak lead. Eh core cast. Low stakes played down to that level. Some of TCW's best episodes were those with little on the line, particularly those with lots of Anthony Daniels. I particularly remember "The Wrong Jedi" from Season 1 and "Wayward Droids" from Season 4. Very little was at stake, yet those were phenomenal. Now, let's talk "Fighter Flight" from Rebels Season 1...
    "The truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Ben Kenobi
    If Disney truly wants series to succeed, it will put the shows on basic cable. I will not pay extra on an already high monthly cable bill to watch one show on one network.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123