Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thanks Brianstoys, I'm sure this being in circulation won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BosskHasManners View Post
    Even at this point, with how convoluted your take on their "stupidity" is, you can't begin to consider that instead of "stupid greed" it may be something else that you may be missing.

Now that is simple, sound logic.

If you add that you'll keep an eye out for repros in the future so that you don't get stuck, then you're completely good to go.

I'm 46 years old and for about half my life I've collected Star Wars, Megos, MOTU, GI Joe, etc.

I used to get as angry at those that'd complain about repros as the people in this thread who are angry with Brian's Toys and the repro game.

After a while I just stopped caring that people cared so much about something that only helped my collecting and never hurt it to any extent that'd make me consider it a problem.

I'm a loose collector... and I don't mind repro items to spruce up incomplete items.

Although it wasn't a healthy thing to do, I lumped all anti-repro collectors as speculators for who "retaining the collectible's monetary value" was too much a focus of their fun of collecting for their criticisms of repros to be considered legit.

But, yeah, I did that unhealthy "lumping"...and haven't thought much about the subject for over 10 years.

What caught me about this thread... and what gave me the urge to type up this quasi-contentious post was so that I could "throw the gauntlet" (so to speak) in the form of simply posing the question:

Isn't there a middle ground with repros?

It seems the majority posting here are criticizing repros with an extreme stance, thinking that its an unforgivable sin with no compromise. All or nothing. Lumping all violators or naysayers as essentially immoral.

With respect: Is that how it always has been? And always will be?
    I think, as I have always said and to keep things simple- collect in the manner that makes you personally happy. Buying repros is not a life and death matter and no one can tell you that you cant buy repros.

You shouldnt feel bad if you like or buy repros, its simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    I think, as I have always said and to keep things simple- collect in the manner that makes you personally happy. Buying repros is not a life and death matter and no one can tell you that you cant buy repros.

You shouldnt feel bad if you like or buy repros, its simple as that.
    Spoken like a true troll Alex. The only problem is you can’t get repros AFA graded... sometimes life just isn’t fair Alex Go stick that in your acrylic case

Their FB rating dropped from about 4.4 (out of 5) to 3.4 overnight. It has "stabilized" at 3.5.

What goes around comes around. BTs has always been kind of an odd force in the hobby - they have been big for the better part of two decades and used to deal in some pretty cool high-end vintage stuff, but have also enjoyed an unsavory reputation for high prices, questionable grading and, of course, the repro weapons. There used to be sellers that nearly rivaled Brian Semling in the mid 1990's but all are gone now; like many industries of yesterday, he was kind of a last man standing in the advent of the Internet (and the twilight of Toy Shop, collectors magazines and print ads). Unfortunately, he and his company continued to practice some really questionable stuff, including the reproduction weapons sales.

My 1-star rating sticks. Part of the reason repro's continue to poison the well is because collectors have short memories and seem very ready to buy a feigned apology from known scammers/counterfeiters/crap peddlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettafari View Post
    Spoken like a true troll Alex. The only problem is you can’t get repros AFA graded... sometimes life just isn’t fair Alex Go stick that in your acrylic case
    And your comment towards Alex isn't trolling??? Just want to be rude for the sake of being rude??? I don't always agree with what Alex has to say, but his above statement isn't wrong regarding collecting repros. People are free to collect repros if they desire and anyone demonizing those who collect repros is just plain wrong.

I also don't agree with BTs or anyone else peddling repros because there's a market for it, but that's not my call and I'm not joining some crusade as attempt to combat repros. It's a complete waste of time. I've said it time and time again, and will continue to say it, EDUCATION, at this point, is the best way to combat repros. There are way too many repros on the market and in collections that going on some attack against a busines/seller isn't really going to solve the problem. It might be a temporary fix, but it doesn't combat the long term problem.

For the new collectors who truly care about combatting repros, use your energy to visit The Imperial Gunnery forum and/or reach out to the more experienced collectors.
    WTB: Star Wars and ESB foreign 12" in original boxes & Foreign Trading Cards/Stickers
    Cheers, Rob

You’ve got me, I was in fact trolling a troll over his usual dumb ***** philosophy’s.Good point and thanks for your two cents.

If the repros were cast in a color never offered by Kenner I would be more ok with them. Or if they were easily marked, like the Mego ones.
    I am Chewbacca
    I have no home
    My home is where
    My spirit goes.

Quote Originally Posted by BosskHasManners View Post
    Even at this point, with how convoluted your take on their "stupidity" is, you can't begin to consider that instead of "stupid greed" it may be something else that you may be missing.

Now that is simple, sound logic.

If you add that you'll keep an eye out for repros in the future so that you don't get stuck, then you're completely good to go.

I'm 46 years old and for about half my life I've collected Star Wars, Megos, MOTU, GI Joe, etc.

I used to get as angry at those that'd complain about repros as the people in this thread who are angry with Brian's Toys and the repro game.

After a while I just stopped caring that people cared so much about something that only helped my collecting and never hurt it to any extent that'd make me consider it a problem.

I'm a loose collector... and I don't mind repro items to spruce up incomplete items.

Although it wasn't a healthy thing to do, I lumped all anti-repro collectors as speculators for who "retaining the collectible's monetary value" was too much a focus of their fun of collecting for their criticisms of repros to be considered legit.

But, yeah, I did that unhealthy "lumping"...and haven't thought much about the subject for over 10 years.

What caught me about this thread... and what gave me the urge to type up this quasi-contentious post was so that I could "throw the gauntlet" (so to speak) in the form of simply posing the question:

Isn't there a middle ground with repros?

It seems the majority posting here are criticizing repros with an extreme stance, thinking that its an unforgivable sin with no compromise. All or nothing. Lumping all violators or naysayers as essentially immoral.

With respect: Is that how it always has been? And always will be?
    If I was a kid, I probably would have loved a big bag of repros to replace my permanently lost accessories...you sound like a reasonable person sir. Instead my luke farmboy had a leftover lolipop stem colored with a crayola crayon jammed in his lightsaber hole!

I think the problem though is when someone spends essentially 100 dollars or more (above the advertised repro accessory version) for some of the hardest figures to "get right" only to be told by a buyer that they are repro when the time comes to sell. I wouldn't be bothered if I found out a stormtrooper rifle or bespin blaster was repro so much but finding out your R2 pop-up saber is repro or your Luke Blaster is not tru black is devastating when you run into a situation that you need to sell.
    Last edited by aaronthebanker; 03-09-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345