Thread: Just 2 questions

Just 2 questions

As I am out of the comic buisness since Dark Horse passed over to Marvel, I am wondering if the following two questions have been answered anywhere.

1) How exactly did Lukes Lightsaber, that he lost on Bespin end up in the possesion of Maz ? Did she retrieve it herself ? Was it part of of tradedeal ?

2) How did Kylo Ren end up with Vaders molden mask ? Did he search for it himself ? Did he need to wipe out a full Ewok-village to get to it ?

I could image that these might be told in comicform sonewhere. Magazines, Annuals ....

As far as I know, there hasn't been a story about either yet but The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary says that Luke's lightsaber was salvaged from Cloud City and that Vader's mask was taken from the funeral pyre on Endor. Presumably, they're being vague to allow stories to be told more freely whenever they get around to them.

Abrams' original approach to TFA makes it very difficult for authors to write around the many setups, questions, and riddles that were hinted at in TFA itself. So, before the ST is finished, I don't expect many stories from the time between RotJ and TFA to really touch those questions. Once the trilogy is finished and we know the resolutions for the open issues, Lucasfilm will have a proper timeline and we can expect secondary material like books and comics to fill in the gaps.

On the other paw, Johnson threw away or sidelined many of these issues. So if EP9 goes with the notion that the riddles and open threads of TFA actually meant nothing, Lucasfilm may decide to let third party authors tackle these stories prematurely.

So far, I haven't heard of any material addressing these two questions. I'm not even sure it's necessary. Some things that were not really lost have changed hands a few times and ended up where they were shown to end up. Is that actually worth a story? I really don't want to end up with some ridiculous expanded universe s*** like Skippy, the Jedi Droid.
    Last edited by Caas_Sandhri; 02-25-2018 at 09:25 AM.

I'd have to say the Maz question would want to be known by any fan, at least I think it'd be a cool story to hear, & the helmet thing seemed it could be easier to explain, and really not require much detail, Ben just went and got it or Luke had it himself in his new temple before the razing. The pyre didn't seem as it was close to the village, I would assume Luke would've performed that service far enough away from Bright Tree village for both safety and privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caas_Sandhri View Post
    Abrams' original approach to TFA makes it very difficult for authors to write around the many setups, questions, and riddles that were hinted at in TFA itself. So, before the ST is finished, I don't expect many stories from the time between RotJ and TFA to really touch those questions. Once the trilogy is finished and we know the resolutions for the open issues, Lucasfilm will have a proper timeline and we can expect secondary material like books and comics to fill in the gaps.

On the other paw, Johnson threw away or sidelined many of these issues. So if EP9 goes with the notion that the riddles and open threads of TFA actually meant nothing, Lucasfilm may decide to let third party authors tackle these stories prematurely.

So far, I haven't heard of any material addressing these two questions. I'm not even sure it's necessary. Some things that were not really lost have changed hands a few times and ended up where they were shown to end up. Is that actually worth a story? I really don't want to end up with some ridiculous expanded universe s*** like Skippy, the Jedi Droid.
    Hey man, don't knock Skippy!

In response to the OP, they haven't answered those questions to the best of my knowledge but there is a comic one-shot explaining how C-3PO got the red arm. It was a pretty decent read in my opinion.

I don't want to offend anyone here who enjoys the Disney ******** but I think there is a much better story in the EU (before Disney took over) explaining who found Luke's saber and what they did with it and then who used it
    But...it is written if the Evil Spirit arms the Tiger with claws, Brahman provided wings for the Dove...Thus spoke the Super Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RDM View Post
    Hey man, don't knock Skippy!

In response to the OP, they haven't answered those questions to the best of my knowledge but there is a comic one-shot explaining how C-3PO got the red arm. It was a pretty decent read in my opinion.
    I agree. The 3PO comic was a decent read.
    "Who's scruffy looking!?!?"

I find it hard to generalize the Star Wars EU. My thoughts are usually "The more SW the better". I love it all, can't get enough.. even bad SW is better than a lot of crap that's thrown out there in general.

As far as the comics.. I usually take each piece independent of itself. There's good and bad in the Dark Horse, good and bad in the Marvel comics.. same with the books, etc.

Some story lines captivate more than others, and even certain "runs" within some of the series that are out there are better than others.

I do agree, I'd love to see the comics and books used more to further explain some events in the movies.. like the ones mentioned.. lukes saber, Vaders mask, etc. Always fascinates me how they seem to have the reigns so tightened that they can't seem to effectively let print media tie into major movie plotlines more often.

...and the few times they do (for example.. explaining 3PO's red arm) they tend to generate some excitement.
    Last edited by bobafett14; 03-12-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    I'd have to say the Maz question would want to be known by any fan, at least I think it'd be a cool story to hear, & the helmet thing seemed it could be easier to explain, and really not require much detail, Ben just went and got it or Luke had it himself in his new temple before the razing. The pyre didn't seem as it was close to the village, I would assume Luke would've performed that service far enough away from Bright Tree village for both safety and privacy.
    I had a similar thought regarding the helmet. Either Luke picked it up the day after the pyre or went back for it later; and kept it at his academy as a teaching aide. "Seeeee? See what happens? Dark side. It will mess you up, man."