Thread: Crystals formation on Vintage carded fig

Crystals formation on Vintage carded fig

I have a strange issue and maybe some of you peeps have had this as well. I have a carded vintage fig with the upc cut out so it is kind of exposed from the back and it seems to be forming crystals or what looks like sand on the fig itself. Is there anyway to remove this?

It's actually the plastic Deteriorating. It happens sometimes even if the bubble is sealed. You can remove some or all of it with light and as simple as from a table lamp but if you get to close for to long you will melt/warp the bubble/Figure etc. I have done it several times and it worked perfect. There is a bit of a learning curve to doing it and I think they are video's on youtube. Good Luck!
    Last edited by DarthMickeyMoose; 02-22-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Trying to remove the frosting may not work out as you want it to. I would leave the fig as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by starwrz View Post
    I have a strange issue and maybe some of you peeps have had this as well. I have a carded vintage fig with the upc cut out so it is kind of exposed from the back and it seems to be forming crystals or what looks like sand on the fig itself. Is there anyway to remove this?
    Sorry to hear that

Sadly, the plastic is degrading, its decomposing and falling apart. This is something that is very common in all SW vintage toys and continues to accelerate. I have had this on when I used to own MOC figures.

What I Would do and its been talked about on this forum is put it out in say a sunny location in your home, maybe window sill and let the warmth of the sun get rid of those crystals, I did it a few times that way and it took less than 20 minutes. It should not take too long, others put it under a lamp also.

I hope that helps, sadly all our vintage toys are going to melt away and decompose.

Only caution to the light method.. is how long you let it exposed to light as fading could occur.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett14 View Post
    Only caution to the light method.. is how long you let it exposed to light as fading could occur.
    That's why you cover the card with something. Anything, like a piece of cardboard or paper, only leaving the bubble exposed.