Thread: OT fans threatened by women.. According to JJ Abrams..

OT fans threatened by women.. According to JJ Abrams..

Here's a link to the original article, rather than one taking what he said out of context:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/jj...en-1201929593/

Abrams was referring specifically to people that were upset that the new movies had female-centric stories - not to everyone that disliked the Last Jedi, as the article from the link in the above post makes it seem.

Feel free to be outraged - but at least be outraged by what Abrams was actually saying.

also: look at what he's saying

Star Wars is a big galaxy, and you can sort of find almost anything you want to in Star Wars. If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in Star Wars. You can probably look at the first movie that George (Lucas) did and say that Leia was too outspoken, or she was too tough..."

He's not talking about your dreaded and imaginary "OT Fans" --- he's talking about "OT Haters" like yourself.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

That's not what he said; it was taken out of context. Here's a close-reading of the article that I posted in another thread over the weekend:

Take a second to review what actually happened with that article. If you read the article closely, you'll find that the "they're" you're referencing are the media, not J.J. Abrams. Here's what the headline says:

J.J. Abrams: ‘Star Wars’ Fans Who Didn’t Like ‘Last Jedi’ Are ‘Threatened’ By Women Characters — Exclusive
    That headline suggests Abrams is saying that EVERYONE who didn't like TLJ didn't like it because of "women characters." But Abrams never says that in any of the quotes that are provided in the article. When Abrams says:

"Their problem isn’t ‘Star Wars,’ their problem is being threatened.”
    he is responding to a direct question specifically about fans who generated "pushback" specifically due to the film's focus on "female-centric stories":

Asked by IndieWire about pushback from “Star Wars” fans who decried Rian Johnson’s film for its focus on more female-centric stories (bolstered by the edition of franchise newbies like Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran),
    Abrams is basically answering a question about a minority group of fans who took issue with the film for that particular reason, and then Indie Wire is blowing up his quote and making it sound like Abrams is saying that about every single person who didn't like The Last Jedi.

In this case, Abrams is damned if he does; damned if he doesn't. He's asked to respond to a specific question which only has one reasonable, just, and appropriate answer (I mean, how could anyone realistically take issue over whether or not a movie has a "female-centric" story???); and when he responds, the media twists his words into an attack on all Star Wars fans who didn't like The Last Jedi. See how they did that?

On a side note, it's sad that Abrams has to defend Johnson's mediocre movie because he signed on to direct the follow-up in the result of a complete about-face move by Disney. Too bad he can't just focus on getting the franchise back on track after The Last Jedi, like he was hired to do. It's even funnier that Abrams never had to defend his own movie, The Force Awakens. The results spoke for themselves, and at the time the filmmakers and media managed to completely ignore fringe sexists and racists because the movie was significantly better, more people liked it, and it was earning more money and better critical and fan reviews.

Maybe they should just let it drop then, instead of keep stirring up cinders. It's been 2 months, the outrage some people feel will be over soon. But it doesn't help by constantly addressing something that is over. Who's even still whining about a Woman in Star Wars, if that's what they were even whining about in the first place?

There shouldn't be a need to ask JJ to brow beat a few people who didn't like their Movie.
    Looking for:Jedi Temple Guard X2, R3-H17 Looking for JP Ellie, Grant & Muldoon
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Maybe they should just let it drop then, instead of keep stirring up cinders. It's been 2 months, the outrage some people feel will be over soon. But it doesn't help by constantly addressing something that is over. Who's even still whining about a Woman in Star Wars, if that's what they were even whining about in the first place?

There shouldn't be a need to ask JJ to brow beat a few people who didn't like their Movie.
    Women, who cares. Obscure ideology in it's western form injected by shut in minds in an ideological bubble. That's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post

Because the narrative inspires a sense of outrage in fans against a boogeyman and causes them to continue to be consumers and ignore the fact that it isn't a great movie. It's about creating a perception that buying tickets to a movie or buying merchandise is a "right or wrong" issue because the product isn't selling itself on the merits of its own quality.

Meh. I don't think that's why the bulk of those who like it actually like it. That would be an odd, smaller demographic I think. And even if it does factor in, it's a legitimate response especially if someone, personally, does feel an absence of a vareity of people other than white male protagonists. Then sure, yeah, that might attract them to it. But we're all attracted to what we find resonates with us for multiple reasons and a good story is only one factor in that attraction to a work.

I find the film intriguing on many levels now, I find it resonates with me in a variety of ways and the fact there are minority and women in major roles is probably lower on the list of those factors than are other things that I know float my boat such as the interesting dynamic between Kylo and Rey, the unexpected arc of Luke Skywalker, the unexpected reimagining of the Force, the almost complete obliteration of both the Republic and resistance...things in the film that matter to the characters in the SW universe.

Abrams bringing it up again may have been less a Disney ploy than simply being asked questions in an interview. Do we know the context of why this came up again? Regardless, if Disney is trying to "sell" their product with that angle that's their right. It may work, it may backfire, it may just fizzle, maybe the only people taking notice are this small group of fans, some paranoid-weaned-on-shock-jock infowars types and a handful of zealous college students.

And I'm sorry Masterfett but if you think "it's over" that people out there care that women were in SW, you're dreaming. It keeps coming up here and this place is tame compared to what's going on outside these forum walls.
    "Through us, the cosmos gazes on itself, adores itself, breaks its own heart. Through us, matter stares slack-jawed at its own star-dusted countenance and knows, incredulously, that it knows." - Alan Moore

Quote Originally Posted by sinkie View Post
    Meh. I don't think that's why the bulk of those who like it actually like it. That would be an odd, smaller demographic I think. And even if it does factor in, it's a legitimate response especially if someone, personally, does feel an absence of a vareity of people other than white male protagonists. Then sure, yeah, that might attract them to it. But we're all attracted to what we find resonates with us for multiple reasons and a good story is only one factor in that attraction to a work.

I find the film intriguing on many levels now, I find it resonates with me in a variety of ways and the fact there are minority and women in major roles is probably lower on the list of those factors than are other things that I know float my boat such as the interesting dynamic between Kylo and Rey, the unexpected arc of Luke Skywalker, the unexpected reimagining of the Force, the almost complete obliteration of both the Republic and resistance...things in the film that matter to the characters in the SW universe.

Abrams bringing it up again may have been less a Disney ploy than simply being asked questions in an interview. Do we know the context of why this came up again? Regardless, if Disney is trying to "sell" their product with that angle that's their right. It may work, it may backfire, it may just fizzle, maybe the only people taking notice are this small group of fans, some paranoid-weaned-on-shock-jock infowars types and a handful of zealous college students.

And I'm sorry Masterfett but if you think "it's over" that people out there care that women were in SW, you're dreaming. It keeps coming up here and this place is tame compared to what's going on outside these forum walls.
    By reimagination of the Force you mean streamlinnng it with their superhero IP. That is just...