Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what is the most magical/emotional moment you have had collecting?

Quote Originally Posted by amanamanman View Post
    As a kid one memory that sticks out the most... Jedi toys were just coming out and walked into the local Kmart to a front full isle of Jedi toys. An amazing sight to see! Rows and rows of figures. Stacks of vehicles. Awesome!

As an adult... About 3 months into collecting, in 1994. At that point the only carded figure I found was a POTF b-wing pilot. $15 bucks at a local flea market. Looking through Lees action figure and toy review I found an add for a toy shop only an hour away from my house! Old tyme toy shop in Fairmount Indiana. My first trip was never matched again. As I walked in the owner had just completed a deal with a lady selling a set of 12backs to help fund her kids college tuition. Me stilling living at home at the age of 19 had a wad of cash so I was looking to buy! He asked me are you a collector or dealer? I chuckled and said collector. I then walked out the door with 5 12backs for $600. All eventually graded 85 years later. I was on top of the world! Never matched that again.

Mike
    Scoooooooooore!

i wish i could remember what that was like with the vintage stuff. i still remember the late 90s though walking into walmart (my primary hunting ground) and seeing all those greencarded figures and vehicles.
    and the purple sote cards and stuff. those were the days...before the dark times. before the mouse empire.
    (hums cloud city music) doo do doot do, do dooo do doot do, doo do do do

For me, it was when i was 10 visiting the FAO Schwartz in New York (im from Canada) in 1995 and seeing racks and racks of american card-back, long lightsaber poft2 farmboys, bens, vaders, and pilots. They were going for about $25 to $30 each in Canada at the time.

I was trying to communicate the urgency of buying these things to my parents and i was so excited about it i couldnt get the words out straight.

"Guys! Long luke... lightlong luke saber... s#!t... luke skysaber ... long american! $5 for lukesaber skycard"

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Probably the first POTF2 figures hitting shelves in the 90's. The first few weren't great, but I knew what was coming. That was my favorite time for Star Wars collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_rising View Post
    Probably the first POTF2 figures hitting shelves in the 90's. The first few weren't great, but I knew what was coming. That was my favorite time for Star Wars collecting.
    me too. those early years of reading toyfair magazine and hunting down variants and upcoming figures was the best! i still remember the hunt for slave leia (i think anyone from the 90s does)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesfire133336b View Post
    i wish i could remember what that was like with the vintage stuff. i still remember the late 90s though walking into walmart (my primary hunting ground) and seeing all those greencarded figures and vehicles.
    and the purple sote cards and stuff. those were the days...before the dark times. before the mouse empire.
    I do not remember ANH/Star Wars, but I was around for ESB. An entire row of nothing but Star Wars stuff! On both sides! I wish I had better photos than just my fuzzy memories . . .
    Last edited by comicalUser; 02-16-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    I do not remember ANH/Star Wars, but I was around for ESB. An entire row of nothing but Star Wars stuff! On both sides! I wish I had better photos than just my fuzzy memories . . .
    same here. i was born when empire was released by the time i was old enough the last stuff from jedi was no doubt on clearance by then. i dont have any memories other than the ones i shared earlier.
    i do remember the b wing commercial on tv once, and wanting one. 30 year gap there but i did finally get one. i also remember watching droids a little on tv but it was probably off tv by then. (cancelled not long after no doubt)
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 02-16-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    That Yoda with the orange snake got my full attention as well. Loved that figure.
    I remember laying on the floor with a phone and a phonebook calling every toy store in Los Angeles trying to find that little, green bugger. Finally found him six miles away. My Mom said "I'm not spending $4 in gas to buy a $3 action figure" but of course she did anyway.

He's still one of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by bmarz1000 View Post
    I remember laying on the floor with a phone and a phonebook calling every toy store in Los Angeles trying to find that little, green bugger. Finally found him six miles away. My Mom said "I'm not spending $4 in gas to buy a $3 action figure" but of course she did anyway.

He's still one of my favorites!

Hahahah, sounds like my mom... I wasnt spoiled by any means, but she knew when something was important.

my mom helped me hunt down other toys. i remember having that sort of problem with certain toxic crusader and biker mice toys. as with many toys some figures were harder to find so we would call around various stores and find them

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234