Thread: Getting Mondo Posters Signed

Getting Mondo Posters Signed

Does anybody have any experience with getting Mondo posters signed? I'm referring more to the larger 24x36 size prints and how manageable they are to take to conventions etc. I'm assuming that unlike regular poster paper, the card stock used for Mondo prints can't be restored so how likely is it that they'll get creased/damaged even if great care is taken over multiple signing? This would obviously apply for the smaller prints too. Lastly, has anyone tried framing them and, if so, whats the best method to ensure they stay flat? Dry-mounted since I don't think linen backing is an option? Thanks!

I have a lot of Mondo posters, most I have taken to get signed by at least the artist. First point: NEVER dry mount your screenprint. It renders it completely worthless, at least in the poster community.

My recommendation for portability and flattening: two acid free foam core boards, kept together with 10-12 large binder clips. Keep craft paper or glassine on either side of the poster. This could also be used as short term storage. To prevent waviness, etc., definitely invest in some poster weights (I got mine from: http://flatterposter.com/) or just use a bunch of Blu Rays or books in the meantime.

There are a lot of people who use flat files, etc. as well for storage. I don't worry TOO much about small nicks on the sides, especially if I am getting them signed and framed. Some people are a lot more particular, though.

Which print were you thinking of getting signed?

Thanks for the advice. I'm not intending to get a Mondo poster signed exactly, but the print I have is 27x40 and on 300gsm paper which I figured was similar to the style Mondo posters use. My main concern was creasing through the middle etc and not being able to get it repaired, but due to the thickness of the paper hopefully that won't be an issue.

I’m planning on trying to do something similar this year with a Halloween Mondo print. It’s 24x36 and was wondering about the creases in constantly having to roll it since I’m wanting to add some of the cast to it this year.
    Check out my Feedback Page: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1112645/

Quote Originally Posted by blueside30 View Post
    I’m planning on trying to do something similar this year with a Halloween Mondo print. It’s 24x36 and was wondering about the creases in constantly having to roll it since I’m wanting to add some of the cast to it this year.
    My concerns exactly, and then finding a way to display it afterwards in a way that will ensure it stays flat in the frame. Let me know if you hear of anything.

Duplicate thread.
    Last edited by HanHutt; 01-24-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HanHutt View Post
    Does anybody have any experience with getting Mondo posters signed? I'm referring more to the larger 24x36 size prints and how manageable they are to take to conventions etc. I'm assuming that unlike regular poster paper, the card stock used for Mondo prints can't be restored so how likely is it that they'll get creased/damaged even if great care is taken over multiple signing? This would obviously apply for the smaller prints too. Lastly, has anyone tried framing them and, if so, whats the best method to ensure they stay flat? Dry-mounted since I don't think linen backing is an option? Thanks!
    Hi HanHutt,
    I think a lot will depend on when you actually get the signatures. Meaning, it's one thing if you keep unrolling it over the course of a Saturday afternoon at a convention or something, it's another however if you keep going from flat to rolled once a month over the course of a year or something. The latter example can definitely cause creasing.

And like Thenerdinator stated, do NOT dry mount any of your posters. Ever.
    Also, slight creasing doesn't warrant linenbacking.
    Lastly, flattening is easy. For rudimentary flattening, my version is slightly different- First, go on Amazon and get yourself a roll of Acid-Free Paper. (When dealing with posters, acid-free everything). Second, have a clean, dry, smooth/flat surface. Then cut the paper so that you now have a "sheet". Now lay a sheet or two on the table. Carefully roll out your poster (with someone else's help if you can), and flip it over so it's now facing down. Now use some weights on the edges to hold it down temporarily. (I prefer putting my posters facing down because I don't want to accidentally make a mistake in the process and scuff up the front of the poster. If I do happen to get careless by accident, it's the backside that gets damaged and not the front). Now, put another sheet (or two), on top of your poster while carefully removing your weights and readjusting them back to the top of the paper. You should now have your poster sandwiched in-between acid free paper.
    Larger, heavier books work best. They don't have a dull bottom that could cause creases, and they spread the weight.
    Good luck!
    Of course I love Star Wars! Anything Star Wars. Especially talking Star Wars.....
    I collect original theatrical posters. But original, theatrical Star Wars posters are my niche; I love movies! Especially older movies! (Not a fan of horror though); I also enjoy playing and watching sports, books, and whatever.....