Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: EV-9D9 mint or beta

  1. #1

    EV-9D9 mint or beta

    I paid top dollar for an EV9D9 from a seller who claimed the figure had been removed from a beta for display only and was still in fresh off the card condition.

    When I received the figure the head is loose ( turns very easily ) and the legs move freely ( not loose but also not tight) the arms are tight and there doesn't appear to be any noticeable play ware.

    So, my question is , for those that own an EV 9D9 is this normal for a mint figure ? Or have I paid for mint and received beta.

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    no . should be tight all around . do yourself a favor though , never move a vintage ev9d9's arms as they break very easily as they were attached to the torso differently
    thanon all oher figures .google it I you dont believe me
    a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

  3. #3
    Yeah, it should be pretty tight. If it's all loosey goosey then it can't be considered "mint."

    And EV should definitely be treated with extreme care, he is a very​ brittle figure.
    Salt-licker guy from Crait deserves a figure.
    He made the ultimate sacrifice, licking that dirt to find out what it was. We should respect and honor him with an action figure.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoFighter View Post
    And EV should definitely be treated with extreme care, he is a very​ brittle figure.
    . . . *she . . . ;-)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    . . . *she . . . ;-)
    You're right, I forgot EV was a female droid
    Salt-licker guy from Crait deserves a figure.
    He made the ultimate sacrifice, licking that dirt to find out what it was. We should respect and honor him with an action figure.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoFighter
    Yeah, it should be pretty tight. If it's all loosey goosey then it can't be considered "mint."
    I don't agree with this statement. I think "mint" is often confused with "unhandled" or "unplayed with", or a host of other very vague terms. In a similar manner, there are also countless examples of carded examples where the figure was untouched since it was packaged that are far from mint.

    To the OP - if you are dissatisfied with your purchase, send it back to the seller. If the figure in question was truly just removed from a beater card (not really sure what a 'beta' is...) and put on display only, I would expect it to have very tight joints. If you expect your figures to have fresh from the package joints, and are paying a premium for it, then you should get what you paid for.

    Sounds like a simple disagreement and likely easy to correct.
    Member of the 62 POTF coin club!!
    My Trade Feedback has links to want and have trade lists.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I don't agree with this statement. I think "mint" is often confused with "unhandled" or "unplayed with", or a host of other very vague terms. In a similar manner, there are also countless examples of carded examples where the figure was untouched since it was packaged that are far from mint.

    To the OP - if you are dissatisfied with your purchase, send it back to the seller. If the figure in question was truly just removed from a beater card (not really sure what a 'beta' is...) and put on display only, I would expect it to have very tight joints. If you expect your figures to have fresh from the package joints, and are paying a premium for it, then you should get what you paid for.

    Sounds like a simple disagreement and likely easy to correct.
    When I hear mint I hear "still on card" or "sat on a shelf for the last 30 years," which to me includes tightness of the joints.

    I see what you're saying though and I think we ought to try to set a definition for the collecting community of the word "mint."
    Salt-licker guy from Crait deserves a figure.
    He made the ultimate sacrifice, licking that dirt to find out what it was. We should respect and honor him with an action figure.

  8. #8
    I have opened figures and right off the card the joints were loose.And I'm talking when they were new.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoFighter View Post
    When I hear mint I hear "still on card" or "sat on a shelf for the last 30 years," which to me includes tightness of the joints.

    I see what you're saying though and I think we ought to try to set a definition for the collecting community of the word "mint."
    That'd be great if it could actually be established, but the terms "Mint" and "Near Mint" are used incorrectly by a large number of people. Mint means there are no flaws to be found, when looking at an item by normal means, i.e. close inspection (no microscopes, etc.). Flaws even include issues that originated in manufacturing — misaligned paint apps, overspray, issues with the mold (short pours, flashing, etc.) and as stated in previous posts here, loose joints. An on-card figure, that is typically called 'MOC', may very well not be mint. Then, there is general cosmetic damage that is caused after the bubble is opened (i.e., 'play wear'). Near Mint means that an object looks Mint upon first glance, but there a few minor detractors, after closer inspection.

  10. #10
    I realize im more of a casual than some of y'all, but in my understanding, the term "mint" derives from coin collecting. When a coin collector wanted a pristine example for their collection, they would get coins straight from the mint. Mints have crazy high quality control standards, so getting something straight from the mint was a wsy to ensure you were obtaining an ideal collectors piece, with no signs of use and free from defects of any kind... Hence the term "mint condition".

    I get that unlike currency, toys come from the factory in a range of conditions, but if the limbs are loose - thats a defect that was missed because of shoddy QC at the factory. Same for if the paint was applied wrong at the factory - its a defect.

    Would we refer to a figure that came out of the factory with arms-for-legs and legs-for-arms as mint condition? I sure wouldnt.

    If it wouldnt pass quality control at the mint, its not mint condition.

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •