Thread: DT Luke, Yep, that just happened! Any other awesome scores out there?

DT Luke, Yep, that just happened! Any other awesome scores out there?

So a dream of mine (and I'm sure of pretty much everyone on here) just happened today. I bought a Luke Farmboy with a 'broken tip' on ebay for 15.00 plus 2.00 shipping. When I opened the package and the tip wasn't there I got excited. Flipped to the back, three line coo, and it's a DT (tip pushed in)! Needless to say I was pumped. I've been collecting since I was 18 (way back in 95), and for this to happen it's killer. It's hard to believe that after all of these years people are still pulling their childhood collections out without researching them and selling them. Thankfully they still are. A few questions I have about this though...

1. How long should the inner tip be? My guess is that the tip has been broken off by (maybe 2-5mm tops) but i'm not entirely sure if it is. It hits the floor when extened.
    2. I really don't want to take it out of the arm to measure it, but if i had to, what's the best way to do it without damage? I've taken out regular non DT's before but you have to bend them quite a bit and I don't want to do this to this guy. The saber is in amazing shape. There is no way it's ever been taken out of the arm.
    3. Would AFA grade a broken tip one? Is it worth even doing it? I'm not a fan of AFA graded items, but I am actually considering it.

I know the pictures aren't very big so sorry about that, can't figure out how to make it bigger.

Speaking about other scores, one time I saw a guy list the original 12 figures for 100 dollars with a vinyl Jawa. By the time I hit buy it now, it had already been sold. Missed it by that much! I seriously contemplated emailing the seller and offering him quite a bit more, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. I wanted someone else to have their score. And think about how you would feel if someone did that to you! OUCH!

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by awookieawookie View Post

1. How long should the inner tip be? My guess is that the tip has been broken off by (maybe 2-5mm tops) but i'm not entirely sure if it is. It hits the floor when extened.
    2. I really don't want to take it out of the arm to measure it, but if i had to, what's the best way to do it without damage? I've taken out regular non DT's before but you have to bend them quite a bit and I don't want to do this to this guy. The saber is in amazing shape. There is no way it's ever been taken out of the arm.
    3. Would AFA grade a broken tip one? Is it worth even doing it? I'm not a fan of AFA graded items, but I am actually considering it.
    1. I can't give you an actual measurement, but here's a good hint. If the inner is pushed all the way in, there will be a small section that will protrude through the back end. If you get it almost all the way in, and no protrusion, then it's broken.

2. As far as Luke goes (and Vader), I have never had a problem just carefully bending and pulling. Bend only as far as you need to clear the channel in the arm. I have neevr had an Obi-Wan, but that one is notorious for being more fragile, so I would not do that with that figure.

3. Can't help you on AFA. They'll case it, if you just want to protect it, but don't know about grading.

Quote Originally Posted by awookieawookie View Post
    Speaking about other scores, one time I saw a guy list the original 12 figures for 100 dollars with a vinyl Jawa. By the time I hit buy it now, it had already been sold. Missed it by that much! I seriously contemplated emailing the seller and offering him quite a bit more, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. I wanted someone else to have their score. And think about how you would feel if someone did that to you! OUCH!
    Good move. Back dooring deals are heavily looked down upon in this community. No one would appreciate it if you did that, and some would openly criticize you for it. Better to just live without it and keep your reputation intact.

BTW, congrats on the score! $15 for a DT Luke beats my personal best of $24 for a similar score.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

incredible score . congrats . ive heard the afa doesnt grade brokem items but i really dont know .
    a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work