Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Cap Bib on eBay

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by StarWarriors View Post
    I would have have to disagree with your opening defense, saying it is OK to post Live auctions based on Legitimacy. That opens the door to posting any link to any live auction when a person knows the item is legit, but just wants to promote or sabotage the auction. I think if you know 100% the item is fake, then fine yes, by all means post the link, but if you are unsure, you should be able to message somebody here who could find out the answers for you.
    Heres a situation that could arise. A user posts an auction to something he knows he can’t afford, says he doesn’t know if it’s legit or not and totally screws all potential bidders knowing exactly his intent. Bad idea
    I agree with your hypothetical situations and the negative consequences that would result from them, but after 16 years here I know the rules regardless.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

Yes Ian. I agree you know the rules as well. I wasn't being a cactus, just voicing concern.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by StarWarriors View Post
    Yes Ian. I agree you know the rules as well. I wasn't being a cactus, just voicing concern.
    Understood. It can be very frustrating, when a legit auction gets outed, whether it's someone playing games, or simply not knowing any better, but as long as someone claims they are looking to authenticate an auction, it's within the rules. Annoying loophole to be sure.

It's really a moot point anyway. Any ebay auction of note gets plastered all over the Facebook groups with no regards to outing, and with that platform being busier than here these days, blocking ebay links here won't make much difference.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

So Im going to assume that the one i posted about up top ended up being legit? Could anyone shed some light on what it was that makes this one look real? To me, the cape looked splotchy, and ragged. Like it had been dyed some time ago and that the dye was slowly eating away the fabric.

Also, apologies for posting the link. I dont want to attract negative attention on here so ill just post pics of suspect sales in future - no more links.

Im new here, but not to collecting. I understand everyones concerns about outing a sale, and i dont want to be "that guy".

Cheers,

Tom

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    So Im going to assume that the one i posted about up top ended up being legit? Could anyone shed some light on what it was that makes this one look real? To me, the cape looked splotchy, and ragged. Like it had been dyed some time ago and that the dye was slowly eating away the fabric.
    Ones that are genuine tend to look, for the lack of a better term, "ragged." The stitching also matches the fabric. Dead giveaway on most fakes — the stitching is a different color. Most fakes are the green/taupe/whatever-the-heck-it-is Kenner stitching.

Just wondered if you are referring to a Lili Ledy Burgundy coat Bib Fortuna like in the 2nd link which does indeed often look quite ragged or the prototype red coat Bib Fortuna - these usually looks fairly fresh as they didn't make it to retail and were out of circulation.

The red coat Bib in the first link doesn't look genuine to me. Stitching looks wrong.
    WTB: R5-D4 Proof Cards & Cromalins
    Looking for R5-D4 ESB 48c back proof card (Admiral Ackbar offer)!!
    Looking for R5-D4 POTF Cromalin!!

Interesting. I had it all backwards. So:
    - Real Lily Ledy ones often look ragged.
    - Real ones in general have stitching the same colour as the cape.
    - Fakes have the tope kenner stiching.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The one you linked to is a Mexican Lili Ledy figure with a burgundy coat. The material is often ragged. It's partly the poorer quality fabric they used but also from wear. The Lily ledy Han Trenchcoat figure is much the same. There are so many fakes of the Lili Ledy Burgundy Coat Bib Fortuna out there that i wouldn't feel confident making a judgement on whether it's genuine or not.

The one the OP linked to is claimed to be a red coat Kenner prototype and there are only 5 known to exist. But I'm confident it is fake as the colour looks wrong, stitching looks wrong (it doesn't hold the dye) and not to mention there's no provenance. Also never heard of one bagged or carded for that matter.
    WTB: R5-D4 Proof Cards & Cromalins
    Looking for R5-D4 ESB 48c back proof card (Admiral Ackbar offer)!!
    Looking for R5-D4 POTF Cromalin!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12