Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any collectors concerned about long-term collection plastic degradation?

Any collectors concerned about long-term collection plastic degradation?

I, until just recently, had a full minty collection of loose/complete 77-85 figures. I was on the fence about selling it all off for the past few years and started noticing some of my last 17 figures starting to yellow a bit. It basically caused me to finally decide to sell. Super concerning how fragile these figures are, even when taken care of really well.

I see collectors putting huge sums of money into MOCs for clear bubbles and whatnot. I wonder what you guys, as collectors, think on this issue? There really is no surefire way to stop yellowing/degradation from happening. I feel like we're hitting a point in time where these toys are at a threshold of not being able to maintain perfection for much longer. 40 years is a loooong time for a plastic toy to exist. What will the next 20 years be like for them?

In 20 years they will be the way they will be. Some will degrade, some won't. There will probably be a premium paid for the ones that last. I get what you are saying "why pay primo bucks for a mint toy that will become un-mint with time no matter what you do". I get it. Some bubbles are going to yellow. Some figures and bubbles are going to fall off the card. That's going to happen. But a lot won't. In 20 years there is still going to be a lot of nice figures; carded, loose, you name it, and they will still be valuable, and there will still be demand. The Next 10 years is going to produce a whole new generation of Star Wars fans, and they are going to want the originals. I have seen posts on this forum on both sides of the issue. The sky is falling, all the plastic is going to degrade and melt away like the T2000 or a minority of figures are going to have issues, but most will be just fine. I worried about it for a short time and realized I don't care. I buy and have my collection to enjoy, not to profit from or leave to anyone as part of my grand estate. It's not part of my retirement plan. So, if they yellow.....so be it. I can't stop it. If you want to collect these toys, you have to pay the market value of today. No one is going to give you a deal because in 20 years it might yellow. That's just not how any of this is going to work. Maybe we all have to accept that perfection isn't possible with a collection. That's O.K. Most old things aren't perfect anyways.

I'm not too concerned. Most plastic degradation is a slow process imo. My figures have aged better than me.

Couldn’t care less , I’m degrading and falling apart and I don’t care because that’s life so why should i care about the toys

•    
    1BadMotivator has it right.

Let me ask this of the Chicken Little's of the world.

Are 1960's GI Joe, or even 1959 Barbie's still around? Are many still available in 'mint' shape? The heads and limbs on those dolls have a far weaker plastic than the ABS used in Star Wars figures. I suggest that when those aforementioned lines disappear from existence because they broke down to their base polymer state, THEN worry about the future of our toys.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    1BadMotivator has it right.

Let me ask this of the Chicken Little's of the world.

Are 1960's GI Joe, or even 1959 Barbie's still around? Are many still available in 'mint' shape? The heads and limbs on those dolls have a far weaker plastic than the ABS used in Star Wars figures. I suggest that when those aforementioned lines disappear from existence because they broke down to their base polymer state, THEN worry about the future of our toys.

Ian
    I have some mego dolls older than my 77 85 star wars figures. Still looks good to me. And no, I haven't heard any complaints about Barbie number 1. Still highly sought after and worth a ton. Same with the original joes.

Let's not forget about the older plastic bazooka. It still sells high and works fine. And yes, those have springs inside that still maintain the pressure and force of firing their bombs. Pretty sure no star wars figures do that, lol
    Last edited by toyman941; 11-03-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I think long term, it's probably on all of our minds. I'm on the same page as 1badmotivator and Ian. Some of these things will last forever. Others will probably not hold up so well. I do look at things here and there, and have noticed my Luke Stormtrooper is yellowing more, and the blue arms of my Max Rebo have faded to almost flesh color. Time will tell, I guess. I also look at some of the current values and wonder if I should start selling certain things now, before they degrade.

Quote Originally Posted by captainpiett View Post
    I, until just recently, had a full minty collection of loose/complete 77-85 figures. I was on the fence about selling it all off for the past few years and started noticing some of my last 17 figures starting to yellow a bit. It basically caused me to finally decide to sell. Super concerning how fragile these figures are, even when taken care of really well.

I see collectors putting huge sums of money into MOCs for clear bubbles and whatnot. I wonder what you guys, as collectors, think on this issue? There really is no surefire way to stop yellowing/degradation from happening. I feel like we're hitting a point in time where these toys are at a threshold of not being able to maintain perfection for much longer. 40 years is a loooong time for a plastic toy to exist. What will the next 20 years be like for them?

oh yes this is a very serious concern. I think one reason collectors dismiss this notion of the plastic degradation is that the most vocal ones are the ones with big collections who are striving hard to keep their values high on their collections. Also, when they go to sell, they dont want the individual buying from them, to be aware that these toys are akin to ticking time bombs, at any moment, at any time, they are going to fall apart into a goey mess. Imagine buying a storm trooper miscard, paying a large amount and then it starts to melt on you, or it looses its color and turns green.. and well.. there goes your 6,000 dollars.

So everything is falling apart, why pay for a Lili Ledy Bib when the cape can mold or rot on you? You are looking at some serious losses.

AGain, those with big collections are not going to want to disclose this info or talk about it. AFter all, when it comes to selling, that could ruin any deal thy might have.

Then ethical thing to do is collectors put a warning tag or label when they sell their items, stating that plastic degradation is possible, to be aware.

The end is near, the acceleration in the degradation of these toys is running high and there is no stopping it. All bubbles are going to fall off, all plastic figures are going to melt, rot and all bubbles will yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    oh yes this is a very serious concern. I think one reason collectors dismiss this notion of the plastic degradation is that the most vocal ones are the ones with big collections who are striving hard to keep their values high on their collections. Also, when they go to sell, they dont want the individual buying from them, to be aware that these toys are akin to ticking time bombs, at any moment, at any time, they are going to fall apart into a goey mess. Imagine buying a storm trooper miscard, paying a large amount and then it starts to melt on you, or it looses its color and turns green.. and well.. there goes your 6,000 dollars.

So everything is falling apart, why pay for a Lili Ledy Bib when the cape can mold or rot on you? You are looking at some serious losses.

AGain, those with big collections are not going to want to disclose this info or talk about it. AFter all, when it comes to selling, that could ruin any deal thy might have.

Then ethical thing to do is collectors put a warning tag or label when they sell their items, stating that plastic degradation is possible, to be aware.

The end is near, the acceleration in the degradation of these toys is running high and there is no stopping it. All bubbles are going to fall off, all plastic figures are going to melt, rot and all bubbles will yellow.
    What......Are......You......Talking about????

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post

Brain degradation also occurs .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast