Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original One Sheets

Original One Sheets

I haven't been in the market for a while (going back to the prequels), but I've been checking eBay lately for the more recent films. What should I be looking for or asking about to ensure I'm getting an "original" poster (not someone else's reprint)? In the past, if you had "Version A" in the corner, you were usually ok. Is that still present? Do they still label the reprints as such? Is double sided safe? While I'm not totally picky about getting perfect edges and mint quality, I do want to know that I'm not over paying for work not done by Lucasfilm/Disney.

Check out www.emovieposter.com. It's an original movie poster auction site. They auction hundreds of original vintage and modern movie posters each week. You can find many Star Wars posters. I've used them a few times and have been very happy. I am lucky to have purchased most of my vintage Star Wars posters back in the early 80's.

...as a vintage collector, I also sell original posters on eBay under jonthejedi.

I'm not sure if there is NSS info on today's posters, and forgers can certainly do double-sided repros now. I would try to find out as much info as possible. Cinemasterpieces sells originals but expect to pay top-end. They have an article on SW fakes but it is for the vintage posters.

movieposter.com is also a reputable seller of originals.

The National Screen Service stopped distributing theatrical material, like 1-sheet posters, in the 1980’s...and the company itself hasn’t been around since 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Matt View Post
    I haven't been in the market for a while (going back to the prequels), but I've been checking eBay lately for the more recent films. What should I be looking for or asking about to ensure I'm getting an "original" poster (not someone else's reprint)? In the past, if you had "Version A" in the corner, you were usually ok. Is that still present? Do they still label the reprints as such? Is double sided safe? While I'm not totally picky about getting perfect edges and mint quality, I do want to know that I'm not over paying for work not done by Lucasfilm/Disney.
    Indeed...in the case of SW, you have to be careful. Even NSS codes can be duplicated. Often, printing with off-colors can be a tell. Most posters in the 70’s came from the NSS folded. I have a Rolled cardstock Style A(Tom Jung) that was used in the early 80’s for the home video market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Matt View Post
    Hey Jedi_Matt,
    With maybe the exception of the early 80's, just looking for "Version A" was never safe. (The most popular repo's started mid-late 80's).
    Unfortunately, there's no easy to answer to what to look for. It varies from poster to poster, (size, paper type, image quality, etc). And jedisquared's poster is a perfect example. The video store poster looks completely identical to a Style A poster with the exception of a couple small differences. If you don't what to look for, you could be fooled for sure.

If you have an idea of what specific poster you are interested in, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help you.
    Of course I love Star Wars! Anything Star Wars. Especially talking Star Wars.....
    I collect original theatrical posters. But original, theatrical Star Wars posters are my niche; I love movies! Especially older movies! (Not a fan of horror though); I also enjoy playing and watching sports, books, and whatever.....

Are you talking about ep 7 and 8 posters? Those won't have NSS numbers on them.

I also recommend emovieposter I've bought several posters from them.

At one time, there was a number in the back side of the double sided posters in the bottom left corner.

I have been getting mine for the newer movies through the disney movie rewards web site. Currently, they have the final theatrical versions of TLJ and TFA; and the teaser for R1.

They are are all double sided and come straight from Disney. One could argue they aren't original since they were not used in theaters, but I am willing to bet they came from the print facility as the ones sent to the theaters.
    Last edited by astroeric; 02-15-2018 at 11:13 PM.

I have a TLJ double sided teaser poster that is from a local theater; it had several scattered creases from being actually used. I think getting one directly from Disney would be better since it's mint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast