Thread: Rebels S04 EPs 1 & 2 - Heroes of Mandalore

Rebels S04 EPs 1 & 2 - Heroes of Mandalore

So Sabine is at the front of things and it's pretty full on, even for two episodes. Sure there was an arc or two leading up from last season, where we saw the recruitment of Fenn Rau and met Sabine's mother and brother.. so now we meet her father and the rest of the warring clans on Mandalore

Spoiler:  

As it turns out, the empire has a weapon that Sabine designed as a child, that electromagnetically homes in on mandalorian armor and fries the wearer and the armor. A great and terrible weapon; if she were a traitor to her people and a prodigious electromagnetic physicist type as a child. This is all so contrived I can't even..

This episode is so far beyond what rebels was about in the first season (pretty slow moving, lame and hard to swallow in a lot of places), but now not only is Sabine a teenage Mandalorian, who was level 5 at the Academy, a trained pilot, a munitions expert, super commando and keen artist, she is also an electromagnetic physicist and revolutionary playing a key part in bringing peace to all the warring tribes on her planet, eventually annointing Bo Katan as the rightful ruler of Mandalore with the dark saber.

I can't help but think this story originally, (or un-originally) paralleled Rogue One, having Sabine's father be the designer of the weapon and held captive by the imperial loyalist mandalorians. A little too samey I guess. but it is a lot more plausible. Seems like a last minute decision to change the plot to make Sabine even more ridiculous and her father, just a lame artist.
    As much as I liked Bo Katan before, I hope it's the same dark crystal Snoke is wearing on his finger, because all this happening in two episodes is so convaluted and overwhelming, yet simplified to the point of embarrassment, it almost warrants it's own spin off movie! It's too much for a Rebels arc and it makes Sabine totally unrealistic, I'm lost for words. This isn't how I imagined Mandalore to be. To be shaped by some teenage girl in two episodes, roll credits, next arc.. Come on..
    Last edited by Nerdherfer; 10-18-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    ​N E R D ​★ ​H E R F E R

Those Tuskens walk like men, but they're vicio​us, mindless monsters. - ​CLIEGG LARS deserves a figure!

TBH, the premiere felt a bit flat for me. Nothing really attention grabbing for a kick off of a new season, almost as if they've already given up on it.
    What sticks out to me, as well as what you list, is that Ezra basically hung out on the back of a transport doing nothing between shots of Sabine and Kanan.
    If that were Anakin and Obi-Wan, they'd have ripped that thing apart recovered the prisoner and been on the next transport off planet by lunch time!

Sometimes the lack of skill/ability portrayed by Kanan and Ezra, are just enough to make me stop watching. I realize they're both non traditional, but they should be competant enough by now to deal with issues. Instead of coming off as inept.
    Looking for:Jedi Temple Guard X2, R3-H17 Have: MU Rogue Captain America, Grim Reaper, WW Hulk. SW:Rebels Stormtroopers from 2-pks X2, IG-RM. 6" Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    TBH, the premiere felt a bit flat for me. Nothing really attention grabbing for a kick off of a new season, almost as if they've already given up on it.
    What sticks out to me, as well as what you list, is that Ezra basically hung out on the back of a transport doing nothing between shots of Sabine and Kanan.
    If that were Anakin and Obi-Wan, they'd have ripped that thing apart recovered the prisoner and been on the next transport off planet by lunch time!

Sometimes the lack of skill/ability portrayed by Kanan and Ezra, are just enough to make me stop watching. I realize they're both non traditional, but they should be competant enough by now to deal with issues. Instead of coming off as inept.
    To be fair, Obi-Wan and Anakin were incredibly powerful Jedi, using the Force at the height of their power. Kanan was a surviving padawan, and Ezra is a wet hot dog compared to Anakin.

I will say that I agree this opener was very flat. Plus, Disney continues not to let the show have any mettle. Sabine's mother and brother surviving was the biggest let down of the episode. The whole hype of their "death" was pointless. I thought they'd be a galvanizing point for Sabine and the rest of Mandalore into turning against the Empire. No... it was just a pointless red herring and Mandalore's galvanization is left unanswered as a bunch of Mandos just show up out of the blue to fight for Bo Katan. I mean, really? The entire planet was made up of people semi-loyal to the Empire, and suddenly they're willing to join the Rebellion out of the blue?
    Last edited by CT1138; 10-18-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    An army of one man, but the right man for the job.

This episode is so far beyond what rebels was about in the first season (pretty slow moving, lame and hard to swallow in a lot of places), but now not only is Sabine a teenage Mandalorian, who was level 5 at the Academy, a trained pilot, a munitions expert, super commando and keen artist, she is also an electromagnetic physicist and revolutionary playing a key part in bringing peace to all the warring tribes on her planet, eventually annointing Bo Katan as the rightful ruler of Mandalore with the dark saber.
    C'mon, this is the new Disney. Grrrll Power!. Kathleen Kennedy's Force of Destiny!

If Rey can go from Destitute desert scavenger, to barely getting the Millennium Falcon off the ground while smashing into everything, to moments later being able to expertly out-fly Tie-Fighers through the hull of a downed Star Destroyer. Pull Tactical manuvers to shoot one down with a stuck gun, and then escape into space. Finally also being able to by-pass the whatever on the MF w/Han to save the day. The plausibility in the Disney writing is comical. I enjoy a strong female character, but when 105 lbs Jyn Erso takes down a group of Stormtroopers with a space baton, I just have to roll my eyes. At least the blind guy had to force assisting his implausible bolt dodging. (its in the Rogue One Book).
    Last edited by Cyclone; 10-19-2017 at 11:03 AM.

I found Jynn Erso's skills more believable to be honest, but that's not the point. Of course it's Kennedy's influence, but this went beyond the pale in my opinion. Sure we can have teen Queens, Princesses and jedi, but Sabine is now entering into ridiculous territory.

Rey is obviously tapping into her newly "awakened" force powers, so we are yet to see how that plays out and we have no clue who she really is. She could be Palpatine at this point.
    ​N E R D ​★ ​H E R F E R

Those Tuskens walk like men, but they're vicio​us, mindless monsters. - ​CLIEGG LARS deserves a figure!

Getting a bit bored with Mandalorians, it was a nice episode though. Made me thought again about how cool it could have been to have those jet-packed Stormtrooper in the 6" (or at least 3.75") figure line!
    "Bobby U-Wing"

Yes I like that jet trooper design. They seem pretty BA as well.
    ​N E R D ​★ ​H E R F E R

I liked the arc but I was also bothered by Ezra on the cliff. I don't want a Boba Fett movie but I'd totally be up for a movie about Mandalore vs The Empire because of these episodes. The Sabine stuff didn't bother me at all. Making the weapon,etc may seem above her age's pay grade but for all we know she's academically gifted. The weapon in and of itself is fairly "simple", in that it's just a compound/alloy unique to Mandalorian armor that can be exploited through high voltage electricity. If not for Mandalore's views on their armor the weapon would only be effective once or twice.