Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thrawn: Alliances by Timothy Zahn

Quote Originally Posted by thorskywalker View Post
    While both are written by Zahn, does anyone else think that the Thrawn book was way inferior to the original Thrawn Trilogy?
    Yeah. It felt like Disney got to him and asked him to write in a powerful/strong woman JUST to throw "equality" or whatever you want to call it into the SW universe yet again.
    Pryce was created by Disney. They have her in the Rebels show and they forced him to give a back story.
    I thought that that book was supposed to be about Thrawn. He felt like a secondary character in his own book.

The original Thrawn trilogy is gold, but that other one was lackluster.
    MOC? We don't need no steenkin' cards!
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by HappyNoodleBoy View Post
    Yeah. It felt like Disney got to him and asked him to write in a powerful/strong woman JUST to throw "equality" or whatever you want to call it into the SW universe yet again.
    Pryce was created by Disney. They have her in the Rebels show and they forced him to give a back story.
    I thought that that book was supposed to be about Thrawn. He felt like a secondary character in his own book.
    Do you have any evidence here, or are you just spitballing Disney conspiracy theories?

By and large, Lucasfilm operates as an autonomous unit within the Walt Disney Company. There may have been some loose input from the Story Group on the general direction of the story (simply to ensure it aligns with the rest of the canon), but to assume Disney itself was hand-holding Zahn is a bit naive.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Chosen_1 View Post
    Do you have any evidence here, or are you just spitballing Disney conspiracy theories?

By and large, Lucasfilm operates as an autonomous unit within the Walt Disney Company. There may have been some loose input from the Story Group on the general direction of the story (simply to ensure it aligns with the rest of the canon), but to assume Disney itself was hand-holding Zahn is a bit naive.

Well you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
    But if you've read more than this book and/or the Thrawn trilogy, you can immediately spot the differences in the writing he produced then as far as characters, development, etc.
    That's evidence enough for many people.
    Disney conspiracy theories? Any other real arguments besides dismissive catch phrases?
    And while Lucasfilm is "autonomous," they still have control of the vast SW universe. They approve whatever movies or characters, products, etc. are allowed to be made. But one cannot also say that they don't stick their opinions in as well.
    Even in other books of his, like Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future there didn't seem to be an "agenda" as there is now.
    As with every industry (music, TV, movies, toys books) there is a definite turn to appealing more to girls/women and making women the main characters/heroes, etc.
    Evidence? Rey from TFA and her all-knowing, all powerful skills without having any idea how she did stuff. Other books such as The Legends of Luke Skywalker which had many more female characters just thrown in (like the female flea and the female robot, female Hutt, etc.)
    To think that there is not an agenda, either motivated my "social justice" or the tried and true dollar sign, is what is naive.
    You can even find Kathleen Kennedy's spiel about not caring about people's about the "new" turn of Lucasfilm
    In the original Thrawn books it always seemed Zahn had a bit more freedom. While it's obvious that there would be "input from the story group on the general direction of the story," there didn't seem to be a push to insert a character such as Pryce.
    Back then Zahn did very well developing Leia and creating an outstanding character such as Mara Jade. He showed their intelligence, strength, hard knocks will, as well as their "emotions," just as he did with Luke in the same way.

That being said, I have no problem with strong, intelligent, charismatic female leads/heroes/whatever.
    It's when they feel forced and are made into "super" characters that diminishes the movies, writing, and whatnot.
    I feel the same about "super" male character that are created in the same way. I want nothing to do with them.
    MOC? We don't need no steenkin' cards!
    My Feedback

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12