Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Grading Company

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    Its ok to completely disagree, and I am confident that prices have peaked. This will be a slow gradual process that is already happening. It is also fact that all the pieces will be in place when all categories of the vintage hobby SW toy collecting hobby start falling in a domino effect.

The vintage toy collecting hobby is not big enough for 4-5 different grading companies. CAS will need at least 5 years to prove itself along with anyone else. My guess is CAS will end up closing up and the other late comers and it might not because their products or services are bad but rather due to unforeseen events, such as an economic down cycle that impacts their business model.
    Well that's a bummer.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNotMyFault View Post
    Well that's a bummer.

Don't read into it. Chicken Little has been proclaiming doom for certain aspects of the hobby for as long as he's been here - when he isn't telling us how great AFA is and the competition has no chance of competing.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

I agree with what's been said above, especially with what Ian said.

There is another company that should not be forgotten about, UKG, which has been an established grading company for many years now although it is more Europe based than AFA or CAS.

I completely disagree with what has been said about the vintage SW prices having peaked though, as well as with the fact that AFA would be the only established company and CAS would "end up closing". Too bad if your collection is all AFA graded stuff, you should maybe diversify

There is always room for competition. I agree that it would take time for a new grading company to gain traction, but that's how business works. Good call on UKG, I forgot about them in my original post. AFA is a market powerhouse; no doubt they have true staying power like Sears, and K-Mart, and Montgomery Ward and...oh wait.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadMotivator View Post
    AFA is a market powerhouse; no doubt they have true staying power like Sears, and K-Mart, and Montgomery Ward and...oh wait.

Not sure how it is in the US, but yesterday Sears announced they were shutting down ALL stores here in Canada. In 4 months, Sears will cease to exist - just like KMart, Target, and former Canadian
    powerhouses Consumers Distributing, Woolco, and Eaton's.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post

Not sure how it is in the US, but yesterday Sears announced they were shutting down ALL stores here in Canada. In 4 months, Sears will cease to exist - just like KMart, Target, and former Canadian
    powerhouses Consumers Distributing, Woolco, and Eaton's.

Ian
    I was being sarcastic . But you made my point. Just because AFA is King of the Mountain now, doesn't mean it will be in 10 years or even 5. We shouldn't be so quick to dismiss CAS or any other competitor that is going to enter the Market. Also....Target? They don't have Target in Canada anymore? They are still alive and well down here.

•    
    Oh, I got the sarcasm. That's why I had the smiley face. The timing of you saying that worked well, because they just announced their shutdown yesterday.

Yeah, Target lasted a whole 2 years here. Took forever to enter our country, but they bought up all the remaining outlets of another former Canadian giant, Zeller's. They moved in, but prices were not competitive with WalMart and they had crappy stock, with many empty shelves constantly. Therefore, they never gained any market share here and quickly died away.

I agree about CAS. That's why I mock Alex about his doom and gloom scenarios.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

It is also fact that all the pieces will be in place when all categories of the vintage hobby SW toy collecting hobby start falling in a domino effect.
    Can you elaborate on this sentence? It really sounds like you are referring to when collectors start dying out but to be honest I'm completely lost with this statement.

The vintage toy collecting hobby is not big enough for 4-5 different grading companies. CAS will need at least 5 years to prove itself along with anyone else. My guess is CAS will end up closing up and the other late comers and it might not because their products or services are bad but rather due to unforeseen events, such as an economic down cycle that impacts their business model.
    Ah you do realise there are more products/lines out there aside from Star Wars and these companies grade everything possible. There is definitely room for 4-5 companies if they can differentiate their service, their remit and their location. This really is a silly comment considering how many companies out there compete in different fields day-in day-out. I mean I could easily count five businesses that provide acrylic cases on top of the grading companies. One of them; Acrylic Chamber (check it out on Facebook) caters to 20-30 different toy lines with the most in-demand case currently being for the lego minis. This differs from month to month - Star Wars is easiest the most consistently strong product though.

Brody
    Last edited by Brody_Walker; 10-12-2017 at 04:31 AM.
    WANTED: Toltoys 12 backs, 20 backs, ESB with the Australian Address on the back and ROTJ 65 back Nien Nunb Offer MOCs

•    
    Brody, stop making sense.

You know that McDonald's is the king of fast food burgers. All these wannabes, like Burger King, Wendy's, In and Out, etc., are just a sign that the market for fast food burgers has reached its peak, and the crash is inevitably just around the corner.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

This conversation does raise an interesting point; what happens when one of the big boys does close? What if AFA, for whatever reason goes out of business. Would that diminish the perceived value that some attribute to graded items? Would you then take your AFA graded items and have them regraded by a company still in business?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast