Thread: What are your favorite Hasbro's 12" figures all these years later?

•    

What are your favorite Hasbro's 12" figures all these years later?

So here we are in September of 2017 and my collection is being rotated for the fall/ winter season. Out come my 12" figures from the 90's- mid 00's. I often overlook this part of my collection but it's good to reacquaint with these gems. Mine are loose and complete and are displayed with 12" figure stands on glass shelving with lighting and WOW, do they look great. Below is a list of a few of my favorites in my collection. Will add pictures this weekend. What are the 12" Hasbro's figures that you like best after 2 decades in some cases?

My (current) favorites:
    5. Scout Trooper
    4. OOM-9
    3. Emperor
    2. R2-A6
    1. Garindan ( I prefer him to nearly all of my sideshow figures as well). One of Hasbro's Crown Jewels

Honorable Mention:
    5. Count Dooku
    4. Ki Adi Mundi
    3. Tusken Raider
    2. IG-88
    1. Zuckess
    Disney- irresponsibly destroying a once proudly crafted toy line.

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t944495/?...eedback+thread

Re-posting an edited version of something I posted several years ago on this board:

I remember buying 12" Obi-wan, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader in August/September 1996 and being glad that I could even find them. Out of these first four, the Obi-wan was the best - great likeness of Alec Guiness, and the robe/hood were spot-on. The Han Solo was a close second, and after that Luke and Vader (neither of which were that great). However, I was so glad these figures were out I was willing to overlook any flaws.

Flash-forward to early '97 - The Lando Calrissian, Sandperson, & Luke Bespin all came out. All were nice figures, especially the Lando, which was a great likeness with a very impressive cloth (silk-like) cape. And, it was great to have a 12" Sandperson - this was a figure I never in my wildest dreams ever thought would be produced in this format.

In Summer '97 the 12" ANH Leia (very nice figure), Stormtrooper, & Boba Fett (too small head) were released.

The C3-PO, Admiral Ackbar, & Tie-Fighter Pilot released later in '97 were also stellar figures.

However, the high point of '97 for these figures were the Exclusives, which hit in late Summer/early Fall of that year. I was actually able to track most of them down at retail stores (all with great difficulty, of course - and, in some cases I didn't find them until they were re-released a year later in '98). The Wampa/Hoth Luke (Target), Greedo (Sears), Sandtrooper (Diamond), Luke/Han Stormtrooper (Kay-Bee), Bib Fortuna/Luke Jedi (FAO Schwarz), Grand Moff Tarkin/DS Gunner (FAO Schwarz), AT-AT Driver (Service Merchandise), 6 Cantina Band members (Wal-Mart), & of course the superb Han Solo/Tauntaun (TRU) were all great, and would probably never have been released at all if they hadn't been exclusives.

In '98, we had some great figures as well, including Yoda, R2-D2, R5-D4 (an excellent figure). And, the Emperor looked fantastic - great sculpt/mold.

And, though there didn't seem to be as many exclusives this year, what did come out was phenomenal, including the superb Han Solo w/Carbonite Block, the Emperor/Emperor's Royal Guard 2-pack (both Target), the excellent Princess Leia in Hoth Oufit - IMHO one of the best 12" Princess Leia's ever (Service Merchandise), and the Wedge/Biggs X-wing fighter pilot two-pack (FAO Schwarz). I still regret not getting more than 1 of the E/ERG two-pack.

Also in '98 were the 12" Electronic DV /removable helmet, which was the best 12" Vader up to that point. Great detail, and the helmet/robes were spot-on. Also that year was the 12" Electronic Boba Fett (Kay-Bee Exclusive), which was another excellent figure. Both of these toys featured lines from the films.

And, some of the figures that came out as exclusives in '97 were released en masse in '98 - these included: Grand Moff Tarkin, AT-AT Driver, Han Hoth, & Luke Hoth. Though the packaging and details on the figure were slightly different, they were basically the same figures that had been released before.

In '99 the 12" figures, like the rest of the SW toys, were primarily devoted to Episode 1. Among others, I liked the 12" Qui-gon & of course the 12" Darth Maul (which was very tough to find).

In late '99 they came out with the 12" Han Solo Endor, Slave Leia, & non-flocked Chewbacca. All of these figures were just alright, but the non-flocked Chewie did look better than the flocked version that had come out earlier.

2000 was an interesting year - they came out with a combination of EP1 and OT toys, including a Mace Windu (w/blue lightsaber?!), Sebulba, & a TRU Exclusive Patrol Dewback/Sandtrooper.

Also in Fall 2000, the Speeder Bike w/Scout Trooper (Target Exclusive) came out. I never saw this at all, even though I searched for it everywhere. To this day I wish I had been able to find this toy, since, based on the pictures I've seen, it's one of the best sets in the line.

Circa 2001 there was a Captain Tarpals/Kaadu Target exclusive that looked fantastic - this is another toy that I would never have expected would be made in this scale.

From around 2000-2005, we got the rest of the Bounty Hunters (IG-88, Dengar, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, & Bossk), all of which looked excellent - I liked how the IG-88 was able to become taller. Also during this time the 12" Garindan (Tattoine spy) & DS Droid were released - two other figures that were a surprise to me in this scale, but looked great. And, there was also a Superb Luke Skywalker Endor/Speeder-Bike released around 2001 - though not as cool as the Scout-trooper/Speeder-bike combo., this was still an amazing toy.

•    
    Wow thanks for that breakdown!!! I am nearly 45 years old and can remember purchasing a 12" storm trooper in 78-79 time frame. Still love it to this day and your descriptive post brought me back to the thrilling 90's 12" resurgence. I own the biker scout with speeder and it is still awesome. Many of the exclusives I no longer own. Tarpans is awesome. It it takes up a tremendous amount of shelf space, as a result the kaadu was traded away some years ago. It was a unique set. Thanks for posting

Don either of you own the B1 Battle Droid? It's one of my favorite designs in SW and have admired the 12 inch figure before.
    "May the Power be with you and may the Force protect you.....or something like that"

"Ore wa Deathryuger, so na mo D."

•    
    I own both the standard battle droid and the OOM-9 figure which I prefer. The macro binoculars are an awesome accessory.

Mine would have to be the 100th 12" figure Luke Skywalker. Simply because we probably won't get stuff like that again, at least from Hasbro. TBH, my 12" collection is one of my most treasured albeit some effort particularly obtaining the various exclusives over the timespan.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

•    
    I would agree indubitably!!!!!!! It would appear that most collectors favor the new 6" line (including me- they have awesome offerings between SH figuarts,Hasbro's, Mafex etc) and of course the basic action figure line and accompanying vehicles and accessories but there is still a small-ish group among us who adore these. They strike a great balance between collectible and toy, which is not the case with my sideshow/ hot toy figures. My hope for the future of collecting is (in part) for these 12" Hasbro's figures to continue to be appreciated.

Been having fun with displaying these on my shelves lately a few others of note are:
    -Imperial Commander with grey tunic and more posable body
    -Skiff Guard Lando
    -Watto (great sculpt)
    - OTC boba fett...... which reminds me

looking to buy or trade for the OTC boba fett with blue suit!!!!