Thread: Star Wars & Disney History

Star Wars & Disney History

Recently I acquired a painting that was published by Lucasbooks, and painted by a former Disney artist, back in 1999. This got me thinking more about the relationship between Disney & Star Wars over the years. Obviously, Disney has licensed the use of Star Wars for years before acquiring it themselves back in 2012.

Can any long time Disney - Star Wars collectors comment on the changes, and any interesting Disney - Star Wars connections or history that pre-date Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilms in 2012?

In terms of Star Wars themed artwork, created by a Disney artist, predating 2012... what's out there? Any ideas? I imagine some must have existed, at least related to the park and advertising... posters, etc?
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leif_G View Post
    Recently I acquired a painting that was published by Lucasbooks, and painted by a former Disney artist, back in 1999. This got me thinking more about the relationship between Disney & Star Wars over the years. Obviously, Disney has licensed the use of Star Wars for years before acquiring it themselves back in 2012.

Can any long time Disney - Star Wars collectors comment on the changes, and any interesting Disney - Star Wars connections or history that pre-date Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilms in 2012?

In terms of Star Wars themed artwork, created by a Disney artist, predating 2012... what's out there? Any ideas? I imagine some must have existed, at least related to the park and advertising... posters, etc?

Disney used to have Star Wars Weekends which started in '97. I know every year they had exclusive posters, shirts, prints, etc.
    "He's no good to me dead."-Boba Fett

Emperor's Hand

•    
    I was in high school when MGM Studios was opened and I loved getting a lot of the SW planet posters they had back then. I still have them, I think. There's been lots of works over the years. Not sure if there's a definitive source for all of them. I personally loved the mash-up Disney/SW figures from a few years back.

The MGM/Hollywood Studios Star Wars Weekends were good times- they had shows and autograph sessions and I collected the pins from the weekends that I had attended over the years.

I believe that the very first SWW was actually in 2000 for which I have the pin and as luck would have it I attended the very last one in 2015 and 2007 before then.

Luke Skywalker's cousin "Mark Hamill" predicted it on the Muppet show back in 1980.
    The answer to every Star Wars question ever:
      Spoiler:  
    Its just a movie!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback BST
    I love this Bar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3_zzZQzx0

Thanks for the responses guys. The paintings (actually two of them) that I acquired were done around 1999 by Paul Wenzel who managed the Disney marketing art dept, and personally created thousands of Disney works of art for marketing & merchandise. He was know particularly for his movie poster art.

I think they have a very 'Disney' look & feel to them.

I framed one up.

SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Disney and Star Wars have a relationship that goes back before 1987, when the original Star Tours was being developed. Most merchandise up until the mid-90s was basically just T-shirts, hats, generic postcards with stock movie stills, and other small trinkets like keychains with the Star Tours logo. They also sold common Star Wars toys that you could get anywhere. I don't even know if they even offered the attraction poster for sale. Maybe the Disney Gallery had some concept art, but it wasn't until the Hasbro Star Tours droids started coming out that they finally started exploiting the possibilities with exclusives and park-specific items.