Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hurricane Irma: A good wish to those in Florida

Mom's in Clearwater, her power came back on just yesterday.

Nice ! Time for me to get to the beach !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, it just happened, and I'm happy! Eleven days after Irma and I get my lights back, cable and Internet. Wow!

I want to thank everyone that asked how I was doing, and also my good friend Ben for his Lightsword updates. I appreciate the sense of community you all bring; I know it might sound cheesy, but you're my online family. I'm very glad to know the folks posting here from Florida did fine through Irma's wrath without major issues. I guess we can all say we've been very lucky this time around.

I got very little damage to my property other than, as Ben mentioned, a couple of down trees, and a messed up pool motor. Being without power was the worst of it all. With temperatures inside our house reaching as high as 98 + degrees (day and night), we all got a new spin on what is like to sweat just by sitting down, under the dimmed lights of lanterns and candles. Starbucks and Barnes & Noble became daily visits for my family for some AC heaven. Overall damage to our community can be narrowed down to a ton of uprooted trees, some flooding and lack of power. Roof damage was minimal. The folks down in the Florida Keys, merely a 40 minute drive time from my home however, had it much worse. More than 25% homes there are a total loss, 65% of them have major damage and even some lives were taken away. The Florida Keys have changed radically with the pass of this hurricane; even the laid back lifestyle of Key West suffered incredibly; the famous Sloppy Joe's Bar closing down which was a first. But, as it's happen before, and as it will happen again with hurricane hits, we'll rebuild and move forward.

Here are some pictures I took of my property, my parents' property, and some views of my community after Irma ...

Our property (BEFORE)

Our property (AFTER)

Our property ( fallen down trees in our backyard/patio)

My parents's coconut trees hit the ground, and their fence. First picture was taken while the hurricane has hitting ...

Several pictures of damage caused by high winds to our community and some streets around it. First picture is of road leading to our house in "Country Walk", which became impossible to drive on ...

I packed up my entire collection back in their boxes prior to the hurricane's arrival. I figured I had to do something to protect it the best I could. Around 270-300 different pieces were placed back in their boxes. Others were placed inside linen closets ...

* With hurricane Maria now following the same path as Irma and approaching (although it is expected to make a northeastern turn and not hitting the U.S.), my collection will remain in boxes, and hurricane panels covering windows and doors will be kept on. I'll wait until hurricane season is over this year before getting things back to normal.
    Last edited by LightSword; 09-20-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Iím not sure about the universe"- Albert Einstein

My Feedback , Movie Realization Visual Reviews

LS-Good to hear that Irma didn't impact you too much. Best of luck with the rest of hurricane season.
    king_marvel on gentle giant collectors forum

My feedback http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1072337/

Incredible pictures. Glad to hear you made it through alright.

Thanks, folks. I appreciate your kind comments.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Iím not sure about the universe"- Albert Einstein

Glad to see you back on here & to hear that the damage was minimal.

Good thinking on packing up the collection. It entered my mind , and then I thought " hell no ! ". If it's Ackbar's time to return to the sea , it's just gonna have to be his time !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking in to let us know you're ok. By the way that's a beautiful home you have.

Quote Originally Posted by ATATDRIVER View Post
    Good thinking on packing up the collection. It entered my mind , and then I thought " hell no ! ". If it's Ackbar's time to return to the sea , it's just gonna have to be his time !
    Haha! Very true, but I just wanted my collection to 'float" when going to the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb View Post
    Thanks for checking in to let us know you're ok. By the way that's a beautiful home you have.
    Thank you for your kind words, Herb. I'm happy to be back.

Now we are all waiting for the county, working with contractors/crews, to remove the tons of storm debris every house has piled up by the curb. But, it is going to take a while before that happens. These crews will first tackle heavily traveled roads (schools, hospitals, etc). Suburbs/residential areas will follow. It will take anywhere from 4 to 6 months before all the debris gets picked up. Miami-Dade (the county where I live) is expecting to pick up 3 million cubic yards of debris in unincorporated areas and cities alone. It's all pretty much a fire hazard area right now, and looking like a prehistoric wasteland.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345