Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been out of collecting for a while.........these prices

Been out of collecting for a while.........these prices

Been out of the collecting game for about three years and I am dipping my toe back in. I have checked in every so often just to see what's going on in the marketplace. However, I am just now really taking a good look. Wow, these prices. When did loose graded figures become so expensive? When did MOC ROTJ get so pricey? I sound like an old man, haha. Seriously though, what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by kbob25 View Post
    Been out of the collecting game for about three years and I am dipping my toe back in. I have checked in every so often just to see what's going on in the marketplace. However, I am just now really taking a good look. Wow, these prices. When did loose graded figures become so expensive? When did MOC ROTJ get so pricey? I sound like an old man, haha. Seriously though, what happened?

Yeah, prices are certainly not what they were 3 years ago and IMO Disney is the main reason for that. From what I've seen MOCs in general have actually dropped in price in the last year or so. Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by eightball View Post
    Yeah, prices are certainly not what they were 3 years ago and IMO Disney is the main reason for that. From what I've seen MOCs in general have actually dropped in price in the last year or so. Welcome back!
    Thanks! It's funny that figures/items I thought would never go for a certain price, are now way above and beyond what I ever expected. Even items not in the best condition are selling high. It's fun looking at all this again!
    Last edited by kbob25; 07-12-2017 at 05:44 PM.

I'm the same as you kbob, I sold my last collection in 2007 which included many MOC ROTJ figures and loose figures. I am stunned to see the prices have risen so high so I'm starting slowly with some nice loose figures and some graded carded, once a month a spend a few hundred dollars ( Wife has no idea, yet!) It's going to take some time to get back to where I was before with the prices so high

I can't speak too well to this matter, but for those jumping back in my impression is that the repro game has gotten much worse in the interim. Tread carefully.

Yes prices are still high, some items still climbing, depends on what you are looking at.

As an example, Revenge proof cards remain hot and depending on the character, according to my data base, prices are easily up 50-60% over last year. Some MOC's have declined slightly. Some MISB icon items, graded, are down slightly. Again it depends on what you are looking at.

I am of the opinion that there are many signs that a peak has been reached in price, from the constant barrage of new movies to new grading agencies such as CAS and some other name I cant remember at the moment. Not to mention that eventually we will economically slow down and it will put a hold on rising prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi2017 View Post
    I'm the same as you kbob, I sold my last collection in 2007 which included many MOC ROTJ figures and loose figures. I am stunned to see the prices have risen so high so I'm starting slowly with some nice loose figures and some graded carded, once a month a spend a few hundred dollars ( Wife has no idea, yet!) It's going to take some time to get back to where I was before with the prices so high
    Wow. Yes, ten years for you. You must be floored by these. I can only imagine. Awesome you get to rebuild your collection (although slowly). Yes, a few hundred a month should be enough below the radar that she won't find out. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by tapuvae View Post
    I can't speak too well to this matter, but for those jumping back in my impression is that the repro game has gotten much worse in the interim. Tread carefully.
    Thank you very much for the heads-up. Very timely as I was looking at some MOC's the other day where the bubbles just didn't look right. I will tread very lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    Yes prices are still high, some items still climbing, depends on what you are looking at.

As an example, Revenge proof cards remain hot and depending on the character, according to my data base, prices are easily up 50-60% over last year. Some MOC's have declined slightly. Some MISB icon items, graded, are down slightly. Again it depends on what you are looking at.

I am of the opinion that there are many signs that a peak has been reached in price, from the constant barrage of new movies to new grading agencies such as CAS and some other name I cant remember at the moment. Not to mention that eventually we will economically slow down and it will put a hold on rising prices.
    That brings up an interesting point. Are the proof cards the smarter choice for collecting long-term? The MOC's look great, but we all know they will eventually deteriorate. Since the proofs do not have the bubble or figure to worry about, will these proof cards be around and looking good long after we are gone? Do you continue to foresee proofs climbing in price?

Quote Originally Posted by kbob25 View Post
    That brings up an interesting point. Are the proof cards the smarter choice for collecting long-term? The MOC's look great, but we all know they will eventually deteriorate. Since the proofs do not have the bubble or figure to worry about, will these proof cards be around and looking good long after we are gone? Do you continue to foresee proofs climbing in price?
    I believe 2d will have physical longevity over the 3d material absolutely. However, the only thing that scares me about 2d is the relative ease of reproducing the stuff. I have seen some scary good reproductions of paper related collectibles and the technology to create it is only going to get better and more affordable.

Which brings me to the point of if you can buy a proof card for $10 that looks/feels exactly like the real deal, what does that do to the market of a $1500 original proof?
    Last edited by KeepFrozen; 07-17-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast