Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Been out of collecting for a while.........these prices

Quote Originally Posted by KeepFrozen View Post
    I wonder if the carded Joe prices have taken a hit due to collectors being afraid of the inevitable o-ring breaking inside the bubble?

I wonder that as well. Has decay concerns hampered prices on DT Lukes and carded VCJs? Doesn't seem to be the case but maybe the o ring issue is more prevalent. I had heard this was one of the reasons that a major collection was liquidated at that PCS auction. I know I won't spend big money on a sealed Kenner alien for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tapuvae View Post
    I wonder that as well. Has decay concerns hampered prices on DT Lukes and carded VCJs? Doesn't seem to be the case but maybe the o ring issue is more prevalent. I had heard this was one of the reasons that a major collection was liquidated at that PCS auction. I know I won't spend big money on a sealed Kenner alien for this reason.
    Good question. It must be that the o-ring is a ticking time bomb that will go off. SW figs are of course subject to decay, but since there is no o-ring type item inside, they will not just fall apart one day like Joe figs?

If it happened, I'd probably just carefully open with an Xacto, superglue it back together at the waist and re-glue the card. The value would be about zero, but I really just love the carded look, and nobody in the 80's did packaging as well as G.I. Joe. I find myself buying more and more recarded figures for this reason - the nostalgia and look is more important to me than the value, so I don't mind a 30 dollar recarded Cobra Commander (as opposed to a 500 dollar one).

So many more people are collecting, and few are leaving, so demand is high and supply is lower. Many who sells end up coming back in a year or two.
    WTB: Foreign MOCs - Meccano, Harbert, PBP/Poch, Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Top Toys
    My feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1102899/

Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing. Ive been out of it for a while and only got back in a few months back.

I completed my loose, NM vintage set in late 2013 I think it was, and I am baffled at the prices these days. The whole collection would probably cost 3-4 times as much as it did then.

I am really bummed that I didn't pick up a Yakface coin back then, its the last of the last 17 coins that I need. Couldn't justify the $200-300 then, now I certainly cant justify the $700+.

I am so tired of the huge price jumps but the bubble will burst one day in my opinion. The carded stuff is a time bomb waiting to go off. Those bubbles will all let loose someday and I believe even the loose plastic will degrade. It may take a while but it will happen. I don't collect for investment so I am not worried. I am disappointed I can't get back some of my childhood toys but I have a nice collection that I am happy with.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
    -Darth Vader

I don't mind the price jumps. It just shows how few of the good quality figures remain out there and/or how those that have them, have no interest in letting them go. The higher priced pieces (Luke Farmboy and Leia) in my collection were all purchased as AFA Graded and I had no issue saving and spending more to get these. The others I have taken my time to find high quality loose pieces and will eventually get those graded by AFA as my budget allows. At this point, I have almost all of the figures that I remember buying and playing with as a kid. By the time the POTF came out, I wasn't playing with Star Wars anymore so while some of those are commanding high dollars now, they don't mean that much to me. Exception being the R2 with pop-up saber which was a must have for me as R2 was my favorite as a kid so I wanted all of the vintage R2s.

I don't see the bubble bursting on high quality loose vintage figures anytime soon but that is just my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123