Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sideshow 1:1 Stormtrooper bust

Some people will go with licensed no matter what. Idealized is what they like, no wonder Anovos receives angry messages from customers about their asymmetrical Stormie helmets on forums, Facebook page and by email, from people who have no clue how the screen used helmets looked like. I guess this is another reason why for RO Disney made perfectly symmetrical helmets.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    Some people will go with licensed no matter what. Idealized is what they like, no wonder Anovos receives angry messages from customers about their asymmetrical Stormie helmets on forums, Facebook page and by email, from people who have no clue how the screen used helmets looked like. I guess this is another reason why for RO Disney made perfectly symmetrical helmets.
    I think from just a filming perspective, it wouldn't look quite "right" for current generation to see rough and tumble TKs' we're familiar with in the OT. It's like how after they rolled out HD on TV/live broadcasts for the very first time (I remember), people realized that they had to be more "careful" about their appearance prior to going on camera, cause boy, it could be bad.

From a purely fan perspective, I can appreciate what they did for R1 to make it more "real world." I'm not as much of a die-hard TK enthusiast but the R1 version, to me, is representative of how they would more or less "really look like." The perception I have when thinking about it is figure the events of star wars being real, but the OT films are just "historical recreations" with costumes, whereas watching R1 is what it all really looked like (aesthetically speaking)

It's kinda whacky, but that's how I perceive the differences in appearance
    Last edited by TubaTS2556; 10-30-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TubaTS2556 View Post
    I think from just a filming perspective, it wouldn't look quite "right" for current generation to see rough and tumble TKs' we're familiar with in the OT. It's like how after they rolled out HD on TV/live broadcasts for the very first time (I remember), people realized that they had to be more "careful" about their appearance prior to going on camera, cause boy, it could be bad.

From a purely fan perspective, I can appreciate what they did for R1 to make it more "real world." I'm not as much of a die-hard TK enthusiast but the R1 version, to me, is representative of how they would more or less "really look like." The perception I have when thinking about it is figure the events of star wars being real, but the OT films are just "historical recreations" with costumes, whereas watching R1 is what it all really looked like (aesthetically speaking)

It's kinda whacky, but that's how I perceive the differences in appearance
    That is what I said all along on many forums including Rebelscum, the Freaks board, RPF, Statue Forum etc.: at this time and age an asymmetrical helmet with warts and dings wouldn't cut it in the high-def, 3D, 4k etc. cinematics, so it is ok what Diseny did for Rogue One.
    The problem is this bust doesn't resemble the Rogue One Stormtrooper either, it's just a bad looking symmetrical helmet, the classic inaccurate "artistic interpretation" by Sideshow
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

That is what I said all along on many forums including Rebelscum, the Freaks board, RPF, Statue Forum etc.: at this time and age an asymmetrical helmet with warts and dings wouldn't cut it in the high-def, 3D, 4k etc. cinematics, so it is ok what Diseny did for Rogue One.
    The problem is this bust doesn't resemble the Rogue One Stormtrooper either, it's just a bad looking symmetrical helmet, the classic inaccurate "artistic interpretation" by Sideshow
    Unfortunately, that's the reality of Sideshow, it seems. I can't tell you how many Snowtrooper items out there are horribly inaccurate, even mini-busts. Hell, I never bought the gentle giants snowtrooper bust when I had an opportunity because the eyes are wrong.

As I eluded to in my earlier post, perhaps Sideshow has a restriction on how "accurate" they can go before being considered a 'replica' in the terms of their license. I wouldn't perceive that any attempts for accuracy would be restricted, but just a thought. It's really my opinion that the artists just don't have the keen eye for details. I imagine these guys have to produce sculpts of various models from different franchises, so you couldn't reasonably expect them to be as learned about every feature.

IDK, at what point does this just become "fan art" w/ branding slapped onto it? I seem to get crap every now and then from die-hard collectors in regards to the costuming side of things, but the reality is that folks like myself pride ourselves in owning screen accurate replicas or pieces cast directly off of the real props. The reality is that unless you delve into that side of prop building/collecting, you're restricting yourself to the brand-names in the hopes that your $1000 investment on a 1:1 artist interpretation stormtrooper bust will be as good as a 1:1 bust some guy into costume building made on his own, for $300-400 using parts derived from screen used assets. Sure, the cheaper one is made by fan and doesn't have branding, but at the end of the day, which will look better in your living room?

Sideshow has no restrictions regarding accuracy, but they prefer not to care.
    Last edited by Sergiu; 10-31-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Sideshow has no restrictions regarding accuracy, but they prefer not to care.
    Well, there you go. These pieces are just for the people who have a lot of money that don't care about accuracy, don't know any better or just don't care at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123