Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genres and characters for future Anthology films???

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    But I'm not saying to reveal his Race, Planet or origins of any kind. Just an adventure that isn't too connected to the PT or OT, but yet he is. That's where it ends though. Also, his apprentice at the time will die at the end. So there will be the danger and loss, since Yoda obviously lives. The thing about him, is that he's got so much wisdom and life experiences. That it would be interesting to see a different take on him. IMO, he has more to offer in terms of options than Fett or Obi-Wan. We've already seen much of Obi-Wan's life already, so there's not much of a window for him. He dies in ANH, so nothing can be done after that. Between ROTS and ANH is a popular time among many, but I just see more problems arising. I'm not saying there isn't a story in that time frame, just not about him. That only leaves his time as a Youngling/Padawan. Which most people don't want, because they want Ewan to return. And if they wait long enough, maybe he'll be old enough to loo the part. But IMO, Rebels handled it just fine. The End.
    I didn't mean just origin, etc. - learn too much of how he became the wise master, how he thinks, etc is also peeling away the mystery. We already got look at more of Yoda in the PT and the last season of TCW.

As for any others, who else would offer something interesting? We obviously can't have anything new, so it leaves us stuck with original characters...
    And I'm just not into it. Now, if we were allowed to have stories about EU characters. I could name a few.
    We can't?

I still think the possibility of a Rogue Squadron type of story is out there - I was never invested in that side of the galaxy as a kid, so this is out of no nostalgia for it, but I find these characters much more fascinating today - officers and pilots. The possibilities for space battles have never been stronger, and I don't really think anyone would be too up in arms to see some of these minor characters recast, if the story is set before or after the OT instead of during. I think it would add a lot to the existing films in a way, to see these pilots in ANH/ESB/ROTJ, sort of missable characters in a sense, but know how much they've done elsewhere. I think Biggs would be a perfect choice, because even though the EU squadron stories took place later, I think it'd strengthen the scene of Biggs and Luke meeting each other, make him a little more than Luke's best friend. I'm not married to that idea.

The thing I loved about the old expanded universe was seeing those characters on screen for ten seconds and knowing they had a huge story, too, and I want the films to be able to explore that. There's a lot of talk of expanding on existing characters, origin stories for Han Solo and Boba Fett, or Obi-Wan Kenobi between ROTS, or Yoda young here, but what I really want is to take a blank canvas and invest in that in a way that makes the original films feel a little richer.

Here's another idea - a Bail Organa film, set sometime after ROTS. Leia's still a small child, and she can appear, but she's not the focus. We can bring back the droids, and I know this is just a character I'm fond of, but I'd love to see a young Captain Antilles do something, make the moment Vader chokes him something a little more special. Make the destruction of Alderaan feel bigger. Jimmy Smits is still around and still looks the part, and we have Anthony Daniels as well. Leia can be recast in this situation. I know Bail's not an easily marketable character, but he's probably one of the most crucial ways to connect the prequels to the originals, plus his role in Rebels, and he has that politician-slash-hero vibe that Star Wars has trademarked.

A radical and unlikely one - I think a film about a younger Count Dooku would be a great way to explore the background of the prequel era. He's already a Sith Lord when we meet him, but he's an older man who obviously has quite a background. He's a political idealist, trained by Yoda, a former Jedi who became disillusioned with them, and in Legends canon at least, he'd trained Qui-Gon Jinn. It would be interesting to use him as a vessel to show the decay of the Republic and the Jedi, and if it worked out well, it would shed light on AOTC and strengthen it, maybe the prequels as a whole. You can see a wise old Jedi Master seeing the early signs of darkness the others are ignoring, seeing his maverick tendencies carry on to Qui-Gon, carried from Yoda, but know Dooku's taking a different path. He can still be the hero of the film but a vilain in the next. I'm not thinking his fall to the dark side as much as his disillusionment. Can even bring back Jango Fett, ala the Mandalorian story in Legends.

I'm not opposed to stories with all-new characters, but I can't think of a story that would present itself to that off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by JVM View Post
    I still think the possibility of a Rogue Squadron type of story is out there - I was never invested in that side of the galaxy as a kid, so this is out of no nostalgia for it, but I find these characters much more fascinating today - officers and pilots. The possibilities for space battles have never been stronger, and I don't really think anyone would be too up in arms to see some of these minor characters recast, if the story is set before or after the OT instead of during. I think it would add a lot to the existing films in a way, to see these pilots in ANH/ESB/ROTJ, sort of missable characters in a sense, but know how much they've done elsewhere. I think Biggs would be a perfect choice, because even though the EU squadron stories took place later, I think it'd strengthen the scene of Biggs and Luke meeting each other, make him a little more than Luke's best friend. I'm not married to that idea.
    A fighter pilot movie is a good one.

Rebels and Rogue One are covering the pre-ANH years, though, and it features the defection of pilots like Wedge. A post-ANH animated series about the Big Three would be a good way to Rogue Squadron.

For Rogue Squadron movie I think it would be best to set it post-RotJ. No re-casting would be necessary - Wedge is the only character who is known and he could be promoted or re-assigned to explain his absence.

Another possibility is a Black Squadron movie - give Poe his own stand alone film. If there is any time gap between TLJ and Episode IX that would be an ideal time for it. They'd have the supporting characters like Snap, Connix, etc. and they could have cameos from Finn and Rey.

I was thinking a story like the Dambusters or maybe Poe and his squad go up against a First Order squad of ace pilots?

The thing I loved about the old expanded universe was seeing those characters on screen for ten seconds and knowing they had a huge story, too, and I want the films to be able to explore that. There's a lot of talk of expanding on existing characters, origin stories for Han Solo and Boba Fett, or Obi-Wan Kenobi between ROTS, or Yoda young here, but what I really want is to take a blank canvas and invest in that in a way that makes the original films feel a little richer.
    They did this with Rogue One and although the next Anthology film is using tree main characters it seems to be that they going at the franchise from a new angle.

It is big galaxy though and there is plenty of opportunity for something unconnected.

Here's another idea - a Bail Organa film, set sometime after ROTS. Leia's still a small child, and she can appear, but she's not the focus. We can bring back the droids, and I know this is just a character I'm fond of, but I'd love to see a young Captain Antilles do something, make the moment Vader chokes him something a little more special. Make the destruction of Alderaan feel bigger. Jimmy Smits is still around and still looks the part, and we have Anthony Daniels as well. Leia can be recast in this situation. I know Bail's not an easily marketable character, but he's probably one of the most crucial ways to connect the prequels to the originals, plus his role in Rebels, and he has that politician-slash-hero vibe that Star Wars has trademarked.
    What could be the story though?

Organa isn't an action hero, but would make make a could lead in a political thriller. Working against the Empire in secret, building the Rebellion with Mon Mothma and with spies everywhere and Vader only a breath away.

I don't know if it would work as movie - a live action TV mini series set over the course of the Dark Times might give it the scope it needed.

A radical and unlikely one - I think a film about a younger Count Dooku would be a great way to explore the background of the prequel era. He's already a Sith Lord when we meet him, but he's an older man who obviously has quite a background. He's a political idealist, trained by Yoda, a former Jedi who became disillusioned with them, and in Legends canon at least, he'd trained Qui-Gon Jinn. It would be interesting to use him as a vessel to show the decay of the Republic and the Jedi, and if it worked out well, it would shed light on AOTC and strengthen it, maybe the prequels as a whole. You can see a wise old Jedi Master seeing the early signs of darkness the others are ignoring, seeing his maverick tendencies carry on to Qui-Gon, carried from Yoda, but know Dooku's taking a different path. He can still be the hero of the film but a vilain in the next. I'm not thinking his fall to the dark side as much as his disillusionment. Can even bring back Jango Fett, ala the Mandalorian story in Legends.
    Pre-PT is not a good idea at this time as they are already spending a lot of time on the OT era with Rebels, Rogue One and young Han Solo but I think the Sequel era is where they ar going with future projects. I have no doubt though that Lucasfilm is hoping young Han Solo becomes a series.

Young Yoda, young Dooku, young Qui-Gon, etc. - I really don't want to learn too much about some characters as it lessens the mystery. To be honest, I thought the rumours of a young Han Solo film were crazy because we don't need to know where he comes from, why he was a smuggler, etc. - nothing wrong with just saying he has a shady past and leaving it at that. I'm not against the project - surprised, but in Kennedy I trust.

Yoda and the Jedi are different though. The PT and TCW peeled enough layers back. I don't want too much to be set in canon - it is fun to wonder and speculate.

There is plenty to be done in the Sequel era, but after that there is time to go into the history of the galaxy. I'd be more interested in going way back though and seeing how Lucasfilm and ILM design and create ancient spacecraft, costumes and weapons from hundreds of years ago. The Old Republic games just re-used the same elements like droids and armour and it wasn't very interesting. I don't know what kind of a story they could tell though.

I'm not opposed to stories with all-new characters, but I can't think of a story that would present itself to that off the bat.
    Bounty hunters who bring in the guilty alive and help the innocent prey would seem the most likely to use in a movie, but this seems too much like Firefly and Cowboy Bebop.

Although I have no plot for this next one, I do have an idea for a fairly unique set of characters. How about a film or TV show were the central characters are a family? Mother, father, two or three kids.

Yes, I'm suggesting a full, biological familial unit with both parents living and not divorced. Sons not estranged from fathers, etc.

I know it is a pretty radical for an American movie or TV show though so it may blow people's minds...
    Last edited by Jaxxon; 04-23-2017 at 04:27 AM.

I realize it's only been a few years since the takeover, but have you seen anything new yet? With something totally new, comes risks. Risks I think Disney doesn't quite want to take yet. So they'll mine existing favorites, like Han Solo, Fett, the ST's. Even if they took a favorite character from old EU, and reimagined him/her. There would be outcry be a select few, that they're ruining the character. Then you'd have all the anti-EU fans crying why? EU is trash. So they are left with pretending to make new characters base them off an EU character, and hope for the best no one notices. And most the fans today probably wont. But it's still a risk.

Also, the stories always deal with Galactic consequences. Like the Death Star. 3 times even. So do all Hollywood movies. I'd like to see a more lower key take on it. While the excitement of impending doom may not be there. It could be a nice break from total destruction all the time, make it about the characters not the events. Rogue One came very close to that.
    Looking for:Jedi Temple Guard X2, Hera. BAD R4-X2 & Y5-X2 Have: MU Rogue Captain America, Grim Reaper, WW Hulk. SW:Rebels Stormtroopers from 2-pks X2, IG-RM. 6" Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

I realize it's only been a few years since the takeover, but have you seen anything new yet? With something totally new, comes risks. Risks I think Disney doesn't quite want to take yet. So they'll mine existing favorites, like Han Solo, Fett, the ST's. Even if they took a favorite character from old EU, and reimagined him/her. There would be outcry be a select few, that they're ruining the character. Then you'd have all the anti-EU fans crying why? EU is trash. So they are left with pretending to make new characters base them off an EU character, and hope for the best no one notices. And most the fans today probably wont. But it's still a risk.

Also, the stories always deal with Galactic consequences. Like the Death Star. 3 times even. So do all Hollywood movies. I'd like to see a more lower key take on it. While the excitement of impending doom may not be there. It could be a nice break from total destruction all the time, make it about the characters not the events. Rogue One came very close to that.
    Kylo Rey's lightsabre

Rogue One was new. Yes, it used elements from the other movies but it was a different kind of story with different types of characters.

Kathleen Kennedy called it a "risk" but I don't recall exactly what she said. I don't know much about the business side of things or a how person in her position has to view things, but she knows what she is talking about so it must have been.

The Saga movies by their nature involve galaxy altering events. And they've done just fine in developing characters. No, the standalone films don't all need to be about saving the universe, but they do need to be about adventure and spectacular events. I don't what more you wanted in regards to the characters of Rogue One. They only had two hours and I think they did a fine job of balancing character develop, action and spectacle.

The Han Solo movie will be high flying adventure, I'm sure, but prior to ANH, Solo and Chewbacca were not saving the galaxy. However, twenty minutes of Solo pondering the morality of his life of crime? N thanks.

I know that isn't what you mean, I'm just being a smart ***

well yes, I meant that w/ death troopers, but the multiple tales film, not necessarily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12