Thread: The Mouse says There is no Truth

It's not anything new- Darth Vader went from a murderous apprentice in one movie to Luke's dad in another. I doubt the story group will do anything that drastic and if they do, they'll have to cover it up with something better than nonsense about point of view.

I don't get that article at all. What are they trying to express, and why these examples...?

4-LOM is not a robot - no, that was a simple mislabeling on Kenner's part.

Han shoots first - no, in the current continuity the special editions reign supreme, and Greedo shoots first. (Besides, in the original Greedo doesn't shoot at all.)

Difficult to establish a canonical truth? Heck, that's why there is a story group at all! It's their job to create something an author can rely upon.

Anything is malleable? No it isn't. In any story, once you establish a fact, then it has to remain a fact. You don't get to change things afterwards, except with a very good explanation, and the usual superhero comic book explanations are not good ones. (In the next issue someone will die! Oh no, the hero is dead! Oh wait, now someone else plays that role! Oh no, the original character is not dead after all! Was just in a coma / a clone / a robot duplicate / resurrected by an angel / this was not the real timeline / it's all a dream and the hero still is under the shower) And "just a point of view" is also not good.

The more arbitrary changes a "universe" incorporates, the less believable it becomes. Readers cannot get involved in a storyline where nothing is true / sacred / unchangeable. Every discontinuity is a blow against the suspension of disbelief.

Disney's move against the old EU was in a way understandable to get rid of the load of contradicting "pseudofacts" that had been established; however, if they now weasel out of the obligation to create a coherent universe again, that was a pointless move, and it will make Star Wars less valuable in the end.

They really should get a good author who can worldbuild and acts with authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Caas_Sandhri View Post
    I don't get that article at all. What are they trying to express, and why these examples...?

4-LOM is not a robot - no, that was a simple mislabeling on Kenner's part.

Han shoots first - no, in the current continuity the special editions reign supreme, and Greedo shoots first. (Besides, in the original Greedo doesn't shoot at all.)

Difficult to establish a canonical truth? Heck, that's why there is a story group at all! It's their job to create something an author can rely upon.

Anything is malleable? No it isn't. In any story, once you establish a fact, then it has to remain a fact. You don't get to change things afterwards, except with a very good explanation, and the usual superhero comic book explanations are not good ones. (In the next issue someone will die! Oh no, the hero is dead! Oh wait, now someone else plays that role! Oh no, the original character is not dead after all! Was just in a coma / a clone / a robot duplicate / resurrected by an angel / this was not the real timeline / it's all a dream and the hero still is under the shower) And "just a point of view" is also not good.

The more arbitrary changes a "universe" incorporates, the less believable it becomes. Readers cannot get involved in a storyline where nothing is true / sacred / unchangeable. Every discontinuity is a blow against the suspension of disbelief.

Disney's move against the old EU was in a way understandable to get rid of the load of contradicting "pseudofacts" that had been established; however, if they now weasel out of the obligation to create a coherent universe again, that was a pointless move, and it will make Star Wars less valuable in the end.

They really should get a good author who can worldbuild and acts with authority.
    They don't care man, they are printing money no matter what.

I think that article says nothing, is just clickbait and isn't anything to worry about. If something is established in the new continuity and a seemingly contradicting fact can't be reasonably explained, they won't do it. It's not like Darth Vader is going to suddenly be alive after Return Of The Jedi.

Yeah, that is a very poorly written article.
    Star Wars, to me, represents the ultimate form of escapism. Why would I so critically evaluate that which brings me such joy?

I have to agree with Mulder and Darth. I think they have learned from previous mistakes and will try to avoid them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JediMac03 View Post
    I have to agree with Mulder and Darth. I think they have learned from previous mistakes and will try to avoid them of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As long as it seems profitable.