Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 The Vintage Collection Fans' Choice Poll

I think you mean Ben Skywalker.

What bothers me is that over the last few years, fan sites and Hasbro have talked about what fans want. I can't remember any fan site in the last five years saying, the fans want a Ben Skywalker figure. Now, all of a sudden, he's the favorite to win the poll. That's too odd for me.

The collecting community may be divided in what it wants, which makes it difficult for Hasbro, but I hope Hasbro and SW.com as well as LFL have the common sense to not let this get out of hand. I think LFL needs to step in and say that ben Skywalker no longer exists, so they won't allow him in the poll.

I was sceptical about Jaina, but I'm impressed with what Hasbro came up with. I'll buy her in the 6" range and if they make her as a 3.75" figure I'll buy her too. I won't buy her because she's Jaina, but I will buy her because she's a cool looking figure that can be used as a pilot or a smuggler or something else.

I also agree that if Hasbro makes Ben Skywalker instead of Sim Aloo or Yakface, I'd be pretty disappointed.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" SA/TBS line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Different strokes I guess, but Yak Face holds no appeal to me. And same too for the Tonnkia sisters. I can't imagine the market for these characters being that great, as the designs are hardly interesting enough to appeal to those who aren't familiar with them.

I'm not a huge fan of these open voting things, Hasbro should just have a list of 12 of their own pre-selected figures and have the community choose one of them. At least that way, we'd avoid all of these accusations.
    Last edited by redxavier; 04-21-2017 at 04:19 AM.

I think Hasbro may have made a huge mistake by starting things this way. I can see them trying to get a feel of the terrain and see what characters were requested the most. I don't think it was about just one single character but rather seeing a top 10 list probably. They have to check things out and compare it to the lists. See if they have sculpts or see what they could kitbash top make decent figures and that takes times. I think that the people that provided longer lists did a bigger service to all than just the people who voted for one figure like Ben. That way Hasbro can see what are the common figures coming up. Hasbro will learn from this semi fiasco and adjust for next times.

My big worry to be honest is to see a decent amount of figures being produced. We all know that Hasbro's promises and what they finally deliver is not always aligned. I want quality and quantity and on time. 3 factors that Hasbro has a lot of hard time making happen.
    Last edited by MrPhantomMenace; 04-21-2017 at 04:35 AM.

I think that the establishment collecting community is likely to get behind two OT candidates: Sim Aloo and Yakface, provided the two of them make the finals. I think Pong Krell stands a chance, and I've been surprised to see ARC Trooper Fives in the mix, too. If those characters wind up splitting the votes, then there's the possibility that the spamming campaign may succeed.

The Ben Skywalker situation seems very much like some very ardent NJO fans have gamed the polls and spammed the sites taking part in the process. Whether or not Hasbro or StarWars.com does anything about it is up to them.

As for the Tonnika's? I know people want them made into figures. I was at an event where one of the Tonnika sisters actresses said that she would have been on board regarding the issue of likeness rights (she has since passed away). When officials at Hasbro have been asked about the Tonnikas, they have expressly stated that the Tonnikas are on a list of characters that CANNOT/WILL NOT be made, and the reasons why are not up for discussion.

The issue with the Tonnika's seems to be the salacious nature of the characters backstory, and their associated nickname amongst the production as "star wh***s". You think that Lucasfilm Licensing wasn't going to approve Tonnika Sisters action figures during George Lucas's ownership of the franchise? Well, Disney is DEFINITELY not going there. Will they ever publicly acknowledge that? No. Because they do not even want to have that discussion in the open.

I've seen people argue how the character stories got retconned into something else, where they were spies or some sort of thieves. Outside of Star Wars fandom, nobody is going to care about that. And if word got out to the general public that there were going to be action figures of characters that had been described as "star wh***s", there would be a giant s***storm of bad PR for Hasbro and potentially the entire Star Wars franchise. Whether or not fans can see beyond their own desire for a figure, and how there is significant potential that the backstory of these figures/characters could damage the Star Wars brand is up to them.

Personally, I don't think that the Tonnikas will even be listed as candidates in the poll when it's posted on The Official Site. I think Lucasfilm will head this off and not even make them an option.

I just want a VC Yakface.

I was gutted when I didn't get one in the 1980s.
    I was disappointed when one did not materialise in the VC run a few years ago.

Just make Yakface Hasbro.
    Love Everton, hate corrupt football.
    my feedback

Quote Originally Posted by b8design View Post
    I just want a VC Yakface.

I was gutted when I didn't get one in the 1980s.
    I was disappointed when one did not materialise in the VC run a few years ago.

Just make Yakface Hasbro.
    Now THIS is a great post!
    Most wanted figures: Vedain, Luke Bespin (Beatup version), Fozec, Taym Dren Garen, Sim Aloo

How about a Blue Snaggletooth and a Yakface

Quote Originally Posted by R2OSCAR View Post
    Yes! A Blue Snaggletooth on a Vintage Card would be fantastic. A great nod to the early Kenner days but still something new since he was never actually carded back then.

Yeah Id get a few of that, One for Cantina, one for Jabbas Palace ( I always used him there as well as a kid) possibly a AOTC Bar scene filler, Maz castle patron, Pod race scene filler, and I have a crew of thugs made up of good versions of SA background Aliens I keep in a bag to just throw into any old adventure, this guy would fit the bill for all of the above. I might even keep on eof those carded for a little while to look at.
    Dea wanna wanga

Quote Originally Posted by R2OSCAR View Post
    ooh that's a brilliant idea, a vintage carded blue snaggletooth would be amazing.
    Most wanted figures: Vedain, Luke Bespin (Beatup version), Fozec, Taym Dren Garen, Sim Aloo

Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast