Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Defense of Ozzel (Or: Piett Is a Spineless Yes-Man)

kinda, but that's why we're here, right? It's been documented that Piett continually undermined and was "one-upping" Ozzel for some time, and DV's emotional investment in the location of the Rebels at this point in the story was most likely why Ozzel appeared a bit off his mark or sloppy, and Piett then ran with it. If DV's Luke obsession wasn't prevalent and he hadn't intervened based on Piett's opinion, well maybe Ozzel's staff would had then followed Ozzels' call, and moved on. We all know how Piett then benefitted from this discussion.
    Last edited by jpolli666; 03-23-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Well Ozzel, did get the full Vader retirement package.

Quote Originally Posted by REBELPURGE View Post
    I've never really thought about why vader thought the way he did of ozzel, it doesn't seem like vader would have someone like that in charge of the largest ship in the fleet in the first place.
    Exactly. The way Vader seemed to feel about him goes against any reputable reason as to why Ozzel Commanded his ship. Either he "knew" someone to pull strings for him, was very good up to that point, or just blind luck?

Regardless of any undermining by Piett, if it even happened. He somehow got there in the first place. Or, maybe Ozzel was the next Fulcrum in training, and he came out early on purpose. The last mistake he would ever make.

All I know is that I would do everything in my power, to keep from getting a post anywhere near Vader. One mistake could be your last.
    Looking for:Jedi Temple Guard X2, Hera. BAD R4-X2 & Y5-X2 Have: MU Rogue Captain America, Grim Reaper, WW Hulk. SW:Rebels Stormtroopers from 2-pks X2, IG-RM. 6" Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Exactly.

All I know is that I would do everything in my power, to keep from getting a post anywhere near Vader. One mistake could be your last.
    I got the impression this was more the case after the Death Star blew up. Vader had to rebuild his reputation and became obsessed with finding young Skywalker.

I always liked the imperial tech in the background when Ozzel falls over. He looks down at Ozzel after being chocked then at the view screen then back to what he was doing. Probably thinking "oh I love my duty station, don't pay any attention to the dead guy that fell over next to me".
    Last edited by jedimasterc; 03-23-2017 at 06:54 PM.

well the character must have a great military background, and earned his position no doubt, but so what? his opinion on the Hoth matter cost him, dearly.... and again, Vader was now in "my son" mode, & move over anyone who's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Exactly. The way Vader seemed to feel about him goes against any reputable reason as to why Ozzel Commanded his ship. Either he "knew" someone to pull strings for him, was very good up to that point, or just blind luck?

Regardless of any undermining by Piett, if it even happened. He somehow got there in the first place. Or, maybe Ozzel was the next Fulcrum in training, and he came out early on purpose. The last mistake he would ever make.

Speaking of Ozzel, I found the scene where he witnesses Vader kill Tagge a little unusual. It doesn't jibe with how Ozzel talks to Vader on ESB. To explain what I mean, let's pretend, for a moment, the new canon doesn't exist, and examine Ozzel's history with Vader prior to ESB. In Legends, I'm unsure if there was ever an incident predating ESB where Ozzel had the opportunity to actually see Vader kill someone. He got command of Death Squadron because Admiral Griff screwed up, but Griff died in battle; he wasn't executed by Vader.

Now let's examine Ozzel's history with Vader in the new canon, and how it meshes (or doesn't) with the way Ozzel tries to dissuade Vader: Griff doesn't exist, and Ozzel appears to have been the admiral of Death Squadron from the beginning. When General Tagge falls out of Palpatine's favor and Vader is made supreme commander of Death Squadron, the first thing he does is kill Tagge in revenge for all the browbeating he endured under him. This occurs in full view of Ozzel. Immediately afterwards, Vader orders Ozzel to have the fleet (or at least the Executor) ready for launch ASAP. Ozzel makes some token protest that proper preparations take time, and Vader responds by telling him (in not so many words) to just look at the dead guy on the floor. Ozzel does, and then swears he'll have everything ready ahead of schedule, a chastened man.

Oviously, both versions of Ozzel's history with Vader are retcons working backwards from the movie, but only the Legends one makes any sense. In that version, I can buy that Ozzel would presume to disagree with Vader about, well, anything, because he isn't aware of how the Sith Lord deals with people who keep doing that. But in the new canon, he has actually witnessed Vader kill someone, and been told that the same thing will happen to him if he keeps telling Vader things he doesn't want to hear. And yet there he is in ESB doing exactly that, disagreeing with Vader in front of everyone and jumping the gun at Hoth, as if the incident with Tagge and the warning it came with never occurred.

And none of this affects my original assessment of Ozzel's decision-making at Hoth; my opinion that he was a very practical commanding officer remains unchanged. But in matters dealing with Lord Vader, the guy has been made such a moron in the new canon it's a miracle Vader didn't kill him sooner.
    Last edited by Kooshmeister; 03-24-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    "I mean, really, how many times will you look under Jabba's manboobs?" - bkusna

Black Series 6" Wish List: General Veers, Lieutenant Mitaka & Death Star Gunner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12