Thread: RotJ Storybook Blue Lightsaber Variant

RotJ Storybook Blue Lightsaber Variant

Growing up, my school library had a copy of the RotJ Storybook, and I swore to this day that Luke's lightsaber was blue (which confused 7yo me because the lightsaber in the movie was green). I've been searching for the version with the blue lightsaber for YEARS and I've finally found proof that I'm not crazy...

An army of one man, but the right man for the job.

is it obvious, or could it be the result of sun exposure, etc. The fact it was green in the film makes you wonder how blue even could be an option in production, like why unless it was an intentional variant, . Interesting, never heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    is it obvious, or could it be the result of sun exposure, etc. The fact it was green in the film makes you wonder how blue even could be an option in production, like why unless it was an intentional variant, . Interesting, never heard of this.
    Well, we do know that in production it was planned for the lightsaber to have been blue, but it was changed in post production to green because the blue didn't show up well against the bright blue desert sky. It's possible RandomHouse was sent the blue lightsaber imagery prior to Lucas making the change, because we know that Lucas had already put out a trailer using the old "Revenge of the Jedi" title which included the blue lightsaber effect.
    Last edited by CT1138; 02-19-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    An army of one man, but the right man for the job.

The original action figure originally came with a blue saber too
    This ones a repro but don't tell anyone;-)

cool info guys, pretty interesting

Fascinating - I never knew this variant existing. However, the blue lightsaber color does look legitimate in the pic., and not just a case of sun damage.

Seeing/reading this thread is an interesting coincidence, since just a couple of months ago I round the old ROTJ Storybook HC (in fairly good shape) at my folks, whom I was visiting. I now have this again, and it's very nostalgic to flip through this. This had the green lightsaber cover, which is the only one I've ever seen - before this thread.
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 02-18-2017 at 10:43 PM.