Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What MR Obi Wan lightsaber do you guys think is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    Maybe this?

Asking price is way too much. I think the MR version can be found for less and is equal in most ways and better looking in appearance. Being made from original found parts does not automatically make it better than a high quality replica of the same thing at a much lower cost to all collectors. It is not an original from the movie unless it came directly from the movie set (which would then justify the cost), otherwise it is just a replica also of what was used. If someone else's collecting focus is found parts replicas, then I can see this would fit their collecting focus and be good for them. We all have different priorities.
    Star Wars collector since 1977.
    Life or Death? Star Wars collecting is much more serious than that!
    My partial collection

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Asking price is way too much. I think the MR version can be found for less and is equal in most ways and better looking in appearance. Being made from original found parts does not automatically make it better than a high quality replica of the same thing at a much lower cost to all collectors. It is not an original from the movie unless it came directly from the movie set (which would then justify the cost), otherwise it is just a replica also of what was used. If someone else's collecting focus is found parts replicas, then I can see this would fit their collecting focus and be good for them. We all have different priorities.
    I agree with you that the price is way too high. A similar one was sold last year for about $2500 IIRC. A screen used prop would cost a lot more than $7000 ($70000 or even $170000), so not sure if that really belongs in this discussion. Still this is the next best thing in accuracy terms (and the OP didn't mention licensed only), not necessarily this particular expensive one, but a similar one made with genuine parts. As for better looking in appearance (meaning the prop itself, and not the extras like plaque and mirror stand, which can be custom made to MR standards too) that is debatable. Personally if I'd have to choose between a MR replica and an original found parts prop, for the same price, I'd go with the latter each time with ease. My advise for you is to try find someone who has a Graflex conversion (one of the easiest to make and also iconic original found parts prop) and ask him to let you feel it in your hands. You might change your opinion regarding this type of props.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

To be clear, my comment on the appearance of the eBay prop is based on the image of it as shown compared to the MR version I have in my own collection. The rest I have no issue with, we all have different preferences which makes us all different in what we collect. No right or wrong to it.
    Star Wars collector since 1977.
    Life or Death? Star Wars collecting is much more serious than that!
    My partial collection

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    For me:

1. ANH LE - Weathered
    2. ANH LE - AFBB
    3. TPM Elite
    4. ROTS LE
    5. TPM LE
    I assume number 5 is the ATOC LE since there was not TPM LE?
    Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi.

(and the OP didn't mention licensed only)
    But the OP's title says "What MR Obi Wan lightsaber[...]", the found parts saber doesn't fit into the Master Replicas category.
    Last edited by Scimitar; 02-17-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    The Force Awakens | The Last Jedi | From His Nap
    My Feedback Thread: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    But the OP's title says "What MR Obi Wan lightsaber[...]", the found parts saber doesn't fit into the Master Replicas category.
    My bad.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

Quote Originally Posted by MrFlavaFlave View Post
    I assume number 5 is the ATOC LE since there was not TPM LE?
    You are correct all the way! Thanks... it should have been AOTC LE.
    MTFBWY
    MA

My bad.
    It was a good post. I had seen this before. I would like a found parts Obi but not this one. His price seems very high given that his grenade is not in top shape and the booster is a replica so the pricing here makes little sense to me.

The MR ANH Limited is my favourite of theirs. In fact it's probably my favourite saber replica they did for any character.

The simple answer is they are all awesome.

• The ANH LE weathered looks like it fell off the screen into the display case from the moment Obi-Wan dropped it for that last time when Vader cut him down.
    • The AFBB LE is a beautiful take on what that very same saber would have looked like when Obi-Wan put the finishing touches to it and ignited it for the first time.
    • The ROTS LE is a wonderful sleek artistic re-imagining of that same saber design with a prequel twist.
    • The AOTC LE is a shiny gleaming gem of a saber from a different time in the Jedi mythology.
    • The TPM EE is a fantastic brush finished more workmanlike version of Obi-Wan's early saber design - surprisingly practical in the hand, but complex and interesting to look at.

So anyone deciding between them needs to stop splitting hairs and get them all

...If I had to choose though from the MR sabers it would be the ANH weathered LE every time.

All the Obi's are amongst my favourite saber designs - I have numerous fan made takes on these sabers as well as the MR versions - one day I'll post pics of my pair of JQS Obfuscators that are a simply mind-blowing artistic 'mythos' style take on the AOTC/TPM saber each taking it in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyX View Post
    All the Obi's are amongst my favourite saber designs - I have numerous fan made takes on these sabers as well as the MR versions - one day I'll post pics of my pair of JQS Obfuscators that are a simply mind-blowing artistic 'mythos' style take on the AOTC/TPM saber each taking it in a different direction.
    Can't wait to see those pics, MikeyX. Post some when you can.
    MTFBWY
    MA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast