Thread: Help with info on ebay purchase please

Help with info on ebay purchase please

I bought a frisbee off of ebay that I have never seen before (I've had a saved search for star wars frisbees for awhile).

My searches haven't turned up any info or anything that uses this graphic.

The seller advertised it as vintage and when I questioned him for more info he said: "To be honest i dont know since i couldn't find another one like it for all the years i had it... i have had it myself for years and years and i got it used at a collectable shop."

I take collectible shop to mean second hand store in ebay language, but who knows.

(larger picture at bottom of page)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/222397116669

I think it is interesting that the Death Star is "upside down" in relation to the xwing. That seems unusual.
    On the back it says: Humphrey Flyer
    and also: Made in the USA 7

I did find out that the Humphrey Flyers flying discs have been in production since the early 70's...so there is that.

The seller was selling other vintage items when I bought this. They had some other star wars items from the mid 90s and earlier so that is a good sign at least.

The graphic itself reminds me of the pine sol frisbee xwing graphic...only different. This disc is a little smaller than the pine sol discs.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. So far my searches have come up blank. Hopefully I can figure out the year this was produced.

Last edited by Hutt; 02-07-2017 at 02:26 PM.

That is a really cool frisbee- Yeah all I came across was their wiki page saying they started in the 70s and moved onto yoyos later
    IMO that is a vintage frisbee
    Perhaps however the death star is right side up and the xwing and star wars are upside down? - luke showing off perhaps w barrel roll??

Quote Originally Posted by BTD2 View Post
    That is a really cool frisbee- Yeah all I came across was their wiki page saying they started in the 70s and moved onto yoyos later
    IMO that is a vintage frisbee
    Perhaps however the death star is right side up and the xwing and star wars are upside down? - luke showing off perhaps w barrel roll??
    I appreciate you trying to help me out.

I'll update this thread if I find out any info. Until then I'm still looking.

I still haven't found any info specific to the frisbee, but I did find an older reference to the Death Star being upside down like it is on the frisbee.

This picture also has the same extra wide dividing trench line that is on the frisbee. That wide of a dividing line isn't seen on most representations of the Death Star (granted, that is not as easy to judge as it being upside down).

The DS in this gum wrapper seems to have similar details to the DS on the disc.

Do you think I'm extrapolating to much?

Even though I haven't found any hard info yet, I've learned quite a bit and I have been enjoying the search.

Edit: This lead my search in the direction of looking up more items that are pre Rogue One that shows the Death Star "upside down". They are rare but I did find a couple.

The game was released in 1977 and the action figure case I find conflicting reports that it was first released anywhere from '78-79. Either way, the examples of the "upside down" DS seem to all be from very early in the Star Wars timeline.

I read that there were early Death Star concept designs that had the superlaser placed in the southern hemisphere but I have not been able to find any pictures of that yet.

My speculation is that it is possible that some of these early Death Star concept photos are what was used as a reference for some of these "upside down" Death Star product designs. It is possible that is the reason for the "upside down" Death Star printed on my frisbee.

If anyone knows where to find images of early concept designs depicting the DS with the superlaser on the lower half I would love to see them.
    Last edited by Hutt; 02-10-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Love that frisbee! The early Death Star concepts are on page 38 of The Making of Star Wars by J W Rinzler

Quote Originally Posted by WiganWookie View Post
    Love that frisbee! The early Death Star concepts are on page 38 of The Making of Star Wars by J W Rinzler

Thank you for that.

I hadn't seen the two sketches at the top corners of the page that shows the superlaser in the southern hemisphere. Very interesting.

I think those images are to rough to support my theory that "it is possible that some of the early Death Star concept photos are what was used as a reference for some of these "upside down" Death Star product designs" but it seems like there is a connection.

I wonder if there was an image that was further along in the design process that showed the DS as "upside down" that was sent to retailers as a reference? Or what if they were simply sent a picture of the DS in space with no other frame of reference and they had to guess which side was up? I guess that is possible?

I don't think we would have gotten 4 different items (and I'm sure there are others that I missed) made by different companies all portraying the same "flaw". It had to have been based on something.

I feel like I am going down a entirely different rabbit hole wondering about retailer reference photos pre Star Wars release.

I'm really enjoying doing this research. Thank you so much for the assistance.
    Last edited by Hutt; 02-10-2017 at 12:56 PM.

I wonder if it's just artistic license. I have no idea how these images were prepared and printed but I should imagine it would have taken much longer back then than a few hours in Photoshop right now.

Looking at some of the images, the shading might be an influence. For example, the chewing gum DS might look wrong if it was rotated compared with the shading of Vader's TIE. Would they have been able to rotate and then flip the image instead? Would it have looked wierd?

In the case of the game, again would the composition look odd if the DS was the "right" way up?

Could be artistic license as far as what they thought looked best for the layout...until they actually saw the movie and saw that it was never "upside down" and then that stopped happening.

If that ^ is the case then the point is the same. These have to be from a early reference of the DS because I haven't found any instances of an "upside down" DS on later products.
    Last edited by Hutt; 02-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.

This collector of flying discs mentions "Humphrey Flyers were never really a competition disc but they sold many flyers with ads".

http://www.marvinsflyingdisccollecti...ort-discs.html

You may want to try to connect with a collector of flying discs like this to see if they have more info about the Star Wars disc.
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leif_G View Post
    This collector of flying discs mentions "Humphrey Flyers were never really a competition disc but they sold many flyers with ads".

http://www.marvinsflyingdisccollecti...ort-discs.html

You may want to try to connect with a collector of flying discs like this to see if they have more info about the Star Wars disc.
    I have been in contact with the person whose collection you linked. Unfortunately he didn't seem to know much about it.

It was recommended that I contact Humphrey directly by someone on a disc golf forum. I haven't done so yet because I found out that Humphrey was bought out by another company a few years ago. I guess it's still possible that they have old records about early Humphrey Flyers but I kind of doubt it. I will try that eventually.

I have re-questioned the ebay seller for more details. Here is exactly what he said:

"I bought the frisbee some time between 1999 and 2001 from a flea market in the North part of Portland Oregon that resided in an old Pay-and-Pack building. There was a table there that I called 'the Star Wars Booth Guy' ran by a vender who had a lot of vintage and some newer Star Wars collectibles. I remember him saying something to the effect that he had never seen that particular frisbee before but he either didn't say more about it, or at least not that I can remember. So I never really knew how old it might have been."

I do find it interesting that it was purchased in Portland Oregon. That is where Humphrey Flyers headquarters is located. It is possible it was from a small batch...or even a test run.

I can't thank those of you who have offered help enough. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I'm not giving up on the search.