Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Value of Original Art

This is a bit off topic as its not original art and not Star Wars. But it is still an interesting type of art print and an interesting example of perceived 'value'.

Its a production made copy of Joe Johnston's original art, called a 'dyeline'. See the link in my signature for more info about dyelines. After the production of the first Star Wars movie back in 1977, the same ILM team also worked on the production of Battlestar Galactica (1978). The now obsolete dyeline process was used to create 'master copies' of original artwork for use in producing sets, models, and special effects. Other cheaper copies called cactus prints were created from those dyelines. Its not something you can just crank out on a whim and creating dyelines was an involved and expensive process.

Anyways, long story short... the other day when I was looking around at Joe Johnston related items for sale, I came across a seller offering a couple of BSG dyelines for a very inexpensive price.

Below is a link to a movie prop website that shows the same dyeline. Notice though that the person's wording refers to his as a 'replica' and says in the picture (shown below) the original artwork is hanging on the wall in the background. Frankly, that's not the case at all.

The original artwork was NEVER pinned to the wall at ILM. What you see on the wall in the background is the very same dyeline, except that because its fresh it looks purple on white. They all looked like that when new. The dyeline process uses light and special chemicals to create the print. But the prints are light sensitive and will yellow with age and continued exposure to light.

So what you see in both images is a production made dyeline copy of Joe Johnston's artwork, created back in the 1970's for the production of the movie/tv show. It is not a modern 'replica'.

The one above cost me $30 if you can believe it. I'm sure the only reason it wasn't snapped up sooner is that people didn't know what it was, and perhaps the fact that the seller listed it poorly. Someone had an 'offer' on it and I just shook my head and hit the BIN. Sorry if that was anyone here, but it was so worth $30, and much more IMO.

https://www.yourprops.com/Cylon-Raid...-YP803225.html

Last edited by Leif_G; 01-11-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)
    Star Wars Dyeline & Cactus Print Thread

The Value of Original Art

I try to get small commissions (usually all I can afford) by my most favorite artists. Here's two my wife and I have commissioned.

The first is by Tom Hodges.
    Second one is by my favorite artist, Doug Cowan.

Love everyone else's original art by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trigone; 01-11-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Nice! Great Tom Hodges Thrawn. Love that.
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery (and related SW art) (George Lucas' & Ed Summers' comic/art shop in the 1970's)

Very cool, Trigone.

I have seen some Doug Cowan originals for sale on Storeenvy.

i suppose the next question is, where is the best place to get original art?

Most of of my big successes have been made by searching "Millennium Falcon oil painting" on Google, I have had limited success with Ebay and Etsy. Occasionally I'll look through Devientart to see if any originals are available.
    Last edited by Rodders; 01-12-2017 at 01:56 AM.

Perhaps you should start a WTB thread Rodders or request a Jerry Vanderstelt commission ?

This might still be available http://www.infectedbyart.com/Gallery...asp?Piece=4731

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    i suppose the next question is, where is the best place to get original art?

Most of of my big successes have been made by searching "Millennium Falcon oil painting" on Google...
    I second Google. Its a meta search engine with a fantastic search algorithm, and gets nearly everything else. There are certain people here in RS and on eBay who are trustworthy and have great connections as well.

I have a few tricks I use as well, which I don't mind sharing. The best way to find anything at the great prices is to look for very poorly worded auctions or listings. Search on common misspellings. For instance, that Joe Johnston BSG dyeline I scored came up when I misspelled his name as Joe Johnson (no 't'). Also, listings where the seller clearly has no idea what they are selling or how to properly present it. The BSG dyeline had 'concept art' in the title and then called it a 'replica of Joes concept art' in the sales text. That will turn anyone off right away when they see you calling someone 'concept art' then revealing inside the auction in small print that you think its a 'replica'. Not to mention that the strongest selling point is that its authentic material used to produce the movie/tv show, and that wasn't even mentioned.

You'd be surprised how many things on eBay fly under the radar with auction titles such as 'DARTH VADOR', 'DARK VADER'. or a combination of the two. Fortunately for you, Millennium Falcon isn't the easiest thing to spell correctly.
    Last edited by Leif_G; 01-12-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Nice trick Leif, made me laugh, Dark Vador probably lives on the Def Star with Look Skywarker.

Quote Originally Posted by WiganWookie View Post
    Nice trick Leif, made me laugh, Dark Vador probably lives on the Def Star with Look Skywarker.
    Dark Vador is how the French are spelling Darth Vader.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

I once started a list of how all the Star Wars characters/ships/planets were named in different languages, I need to find it again. If you want to try your luck finding cheap stuff try with "Dart Fener" or "Lord Fener", though now most people are aware of how much is worth what they have, or they will look on other ebay listings before pricing their items.
    Last edited by Sturm86; 01-13-2017 at 03:09 AM.
    "Bobby U-Wing"

So that Joe Johnston Falcon artwork auction ended on eBay. Just north of 2k US. It says 'new', and that Joe will sign the piece for the winner. So I'm guessing it's a fairly recent work and not something from the old days of SW production. I know I don't recognize it.
    Last edited by Leif_G; 01-14-2017 at 02:55 PM.
    SW Collecting Since 1977
    Leif's Trade Feedback

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast