Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: U-Wing

Went to target looking for Hera's A-Wing and saw this on clearance for less than half price and they had many. TIE Strikers were still full retail and also plentiful.

Great work on the U-Wing so far.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" SA/TBS line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

I Know it catches a lot of scale flak but this thing looks great gets the job done ... troop carrying not withstanding, and gets a TON of play at my house AND hasn't had any parts break or go AWOL so far. That is passing field qual with flying colors for a toy in my command!
    Dea wanna wanga

1:18 scale U-Wing UPDATE

Here it is. Whatís left to be done is gluing everything down, adding finishing details, and painting.

As promised, I put together the templates I made into a package of PDFs and photos. I wanted to release these to the public before Rogue One officially comes out on disc and online later this month. You can download this package as a single zip from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n6j4s6jvabvrpl2/

As a bonus, this package includes a PDF to make an Imperial data drive (AKA the Death Star plans) for Jyn to carry.

To be honest, Iím so sick of looking at this ship -- because I spent a lot more time on this than I expected. LOL. I donít know when Iíll get to gluing everything. So I look forward to seeing if others will try to build this 1:18 scale U-Wing. All put together, the ship is large: about 55 inches long (with the wings folded in), and its wingspan is 6 feet when the wings are swung back.

May the Force be with us!

README.TXT that is included with 1:18 template ZIP

U-Wing 1:18 scale templates, version 1.0

* -- Initial credit should go to the creator of these paper models. I scaled up the major parts of the larger version to create most of these templates.

http://www.papierschnitzel.com/u-wing-transport/
    info@papierschitzel.com

I made several tweaks for cardboard thickness and redesigned many of the parts, like engineering the wings to swing open. The wings of the original paper models don't move.

* -- This isn't a step-by-step. It's assumed you're familiar with using templates to cut cardboard to make models.

* -- All the templates are formatted to print on regular 8.5 x 11" paper. Any large templates that can be printed on a single sheet, or lesser number of sheets, is also provided in legal (8.5 x 14") or tabloid (11 x 17") sizes.

* -- Look through the build photos album to see how the parts that are cut from the templates are put together. This album also shows what the engine sections are made of (basically: salt container, yogurt cups, plastic mini shot glass). The photos also show how the engines and wings are bolted to the ship's main body, and changes I made to the wings' undersides to lighten their weight.

* -- The tips of the wings bow down, and much more so when the wings are swung back, unfortunately. Hasbro's designers made the wings of their U-Wing for 3.75" figures lighter by completely thinning out the wings' undersides, and shortening their lengths (by about 40%). My 1:18 scale version stays with the original paper model's wing lengths, which appear to be the original spec of the U-Wing.

TO DO:

* -- Glue everything together. Add detailing, and paint. I plan to release an update/add-on to this that shows the basic detailing pieces to add, and simple paint color scheme (it'll just be white, gray, black, blue and yellow, like Hasbro's version).

By releasing these templates, I hope this will inspire other Star Wars toy fans to build their own U-Wings properly scaled for their 3.75" figures. If you have questions or suggestions (which I may add to the update), you can email me directly.

And I'd love to see whatever things or improvements others add. For example: realistic detailing, finished out interior, play features, lights, sound (perhaps using the soundbox from the Revell model?), and, especially, strengthening the swing-wing mechanism and making the wings lighter.

Email: howardhwen@outlook.com (AKA Whills_Scholar @Rebel.com forums)

Thanks for sharing! You put a lot of work into this and it looks fantastic!

DO NOT DOWNLOAD. The downloader will set up a bunch of little programs on your computer. You'll have to find another way to get the PDF out there.
    Hasbro, if you're listening, REBEL PILOT MULTIPACK! Rogue One: Antoc Merrick, Blue Leader. A New Hope: Theron Nett, Red 10. Empire Strikes Back: Rogue 4, Hobbie Klivian Snowspeeder. Return of the Jedi: Horten Salm, Gray Leader. All easy kitbashes, all unique, a guaranteed best seller.

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeswingman View Post
    DO NOT DOWNLOAD. The downloader will set up a bunch of little programs on your computer. You'll have to find another way to get the PDF out there.

Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeswingman View Post
    What downloader? The link he posted has a .zip file on it that contains the PDFs. I didn't found anything weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Spassvogel View Post
    What downloader? The link he posted has a .zip file on it that contains the PDFs. I didn't found anything weird.
    That's not what I was getting. It told me my "software was out of date" and needed updates. Ended up putting a lot of junk pop up type apps on my computer which took me some time to get rid of. And probably some kind of virus.
    Hasbro, if you're listening, REBEL PILOT MULTIPACK! Rogue One: Antoc Merrick, Blue Leader. A New Hope: Theron Nett, Red 10. Empire Strikes Back: Rogue 4, Hobbie Klivian Snowspeeder. Return of the Jedi: Horten Salm, Gray Leader. All easy kitbashes, all unique, a guaranteed best seller.

Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast