Page 99 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Bandai: Star Wars Model Kits

WOW!!! Great job!!!!!!
    My Feedbackhttp://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2526787&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#Post34439102526787[/url]

Full name: Barf-olemew ***Now Accepting Commissions***
    Check out my My 6" Astromech Customization Thread for more pics and info
    Also, check out my My Photo Album and Custom 6" Emperor's Throne
    Star Wars Bandai Model Kit Discussion Thread BARF's Feedback Thread

BANDAI: Modelkit Vehicle Model 009 Jedi Starfighter

Looks like a hell load of decals for that tiny sucker

Wicked cool!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That looks ****ing fantastic Scoob!
    If the Rebels have obtained a complete technical read-out of this station it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness. . . and exploit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Real_Scooby View Post
    Looks like a hell load of decals for that tiny sucker
    The mini Falcon had 89 stickers

Here he is at long last. Enter Lord Vader.

Assembly was easy and straightforward and took no more than an afternoon. The suit was the easiest to paint, using Tamiya's X-1 Black (90%), X-21 Flat Blase (10%) and pinch of X-3 Royal Blue.

For the mask I applied a base coat with a 1:1 mix of X-10 Gunmetal and X-1 Black. I wanted to recreate the dual tones of the movies so I then searched for reference pictures and painted over the correct parts with X-1 Black. The result is subtle, just like in the movies, and I really like how it turned out.

The lenses were given a coat of X-1 Black and then two more coats of a 70% X-26 Clear Orange and 30% X-19 Smoke. Wow, Bandai really knew what they were doing when suggesting this mix in their color guides; the effect is, once again, subtle, but it adds another extra layer of realism by making the lenses stand out from the rest of the mask and making them look like actual translucent pieces.

The tusks and nose divot were done with XF-16 Flat Aluminum.

The gold squares on the mask were done with the decals (my only use of the provided decals on this kit) and the exposed flesh on the back of the helmet was done with a mix of 80% X-2 White and 20% XF-15 Flat Flesh. Like three coats were required to fully cover the black plastic. The big scar was then filled with a very small and thinned application of X-7 Red.

The chestplate was done using the same 1:1 mix of X-10 Gunmetal and X-1 Black that was applied to the mask and the stripes were done with X-1 Black.

The belt, crotch piece, chest box, belt boxes, and boots were covered with 100% X-1 Black for that glossy finish. The greaves straps and soles were done with the earlier mix of 90% X-1 Black and 10% X-21 Flat Base.

The "belt buckle" was covered with XF-16 Flat Aluminum. All the buttons and details on the belt boxes and chest box were done with XF-16 Flat Aluminum, X-7 Red, X-5 Green, X-3 Royal Blue (with a pinch of X-2 White to make it clearer) and X-12 Gold Leaf where appropiate.

X-1 Black, XF-16 Flat Aluminum, and X-12 Gold Leaf were used for the black parts, silver parts, and knobs on the lightsaber hilt respectively.

Three coats of X-27 Clear Red gave the blade that deep blood-red look I wanted.

The helmet, pauldrons and greaves were left as they were.

Finally, an old black shirt donated part of its fabric for the cape and robe.

About a week's worth of work and I'm happy with the result. Pretty much my definitive Darth Vader. I see no need for that Black Series 40th anniversary legacy pack now.

Next in line: TIE Advanced x1. Should be interesting doing one of the vehicles now.
    Last edited by Seeker_Qyzen; 04-20-2017 at 07:09 PM.

That is one of the best Vaders I've seen. Love the use of different textures. The cape work completes the figure beautifully. Great work and great write up too.

Barf - that's high praise coming from someone with quite a few customs under his belt. I really appreciate it!

I just love looking at him on my shelf knowing I put something of myself into the final product. I feel more invested and makes me appreciate these kits more than any traditional action figure
    Last edited by Seeker_Qyzen; 04-20-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Page 99 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast