Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New 1:1 R2 coming

That R2 on the front page looks great! However, $7,000 its a bit out of my price range. Yoda also looked cool.
    Looking for:Jedi Temple Guard X2, Rebels Thrawn Have: MU Rogue Captain America, Grim Reaper, WW Hulk. SW:Rebels Stormtroopers from 2-pks X2, IG-RM. 6" Snowtrooper, AT-AT Driver Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Jedi View Post
    Based on my limited knowledge, this is likely good advice. The question becomes how many hours are we talking to build something like this?
    Unless you're already a master builder, $7K for the Sideshow version is a lot less money.
    Star Wars collector since 1977.
    Life or Death? Star Wars collecting is much more serious than that!
    My partial collection

Building an R2 is basically a hobby unto itself. So yes, if you factor in the time spent plus the materials, you're probably spending a lot more than Sideshow is asking. But then again, building it is really half the fun for many people. In terms of just the materials, you can build an R2 for WAY less than what Sideshow is asking, but the time it takes to figure out what you're doing and then actually do it is considerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Jabba View Post
    Building an R2 is basically a hobby unto itself. So yes, if you factor in the time spent plus the materials, you're probably spending a lot more than Sideshow is asking. But then again, building it is really half the fun for many people. In terms of just the materials, you can build an R2 for WAY less than what Sideshow is asking, but the time it takes to figure out what you're doing and then actually do it is considerable.
    I agree, the cost of the materials is not the issue, the know-how and labor is the determining factor. I own the original Sideshow 1:1 R2 because I know that I have neither the skill set or time to build one myself, and the R2 builders have a code that they will not sell a finished unit.

For me this discussion is similar to building your own custom car. I know for a fact there are people who do that themselves for a hobby or business, i'm just not inclined myself, so I buy my cars ready made from the car dealers.
    Star Wars collector since 1977.
    Life or Death? Star Wars collecting is much more serious than that!
    My partial collection

I got my R2 unit today, the family went nuts they loved it. The photos don't do the base justice, I feel like I have a piece of the Millennium Falcon in my living room. R2 is bigger than you think. It is expensive but worth it. If your on the fence, you won't regret it.
    On my box it says edition 130. Wonder how many they made this run.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345