Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: These Are The 6" Droids You're Looking For...And Other Custom Bandai Kits

Quote Originally Posted by BARF View Post
    Two more 3.75" customs.
    They look awesome! Love the white and blue domed especially.

They may have taken you out of your comfort zone, but one would never know that looking at the end result. Even if they did
    you obviously met that challenge while advancing your skills.

Questions- Not sure if you mentioned it previously.

Seeing you used an older B.A.D or droid factory astro, which ones were used?
    and
    Did you remove the factory paint jobs or just prime & work over them?
    "May the Funk be with You!"

Quote Originally Posted by Strobeeone View Post
    They look awesome! Love the white and blue domed especially.

They may have taken you out of your comfort zone, but one would never know that looking at the end result. Even if they did
    you obviously met that challenge while advancing your skills.

Questions- Not sure if you mentioned it previously.

Seeing you used an older B.A.D or droid factory astro, which ones were used?
    and
    Did you remove the factory paint jobs or just prime & work over them?
    Thanks, strobe. Yah, this was definitely outside my comfort zone. I hated every minute of it. Not because of the scale, but because the mold has so many inconsistencies. It was very frustrating. The surface is uneven, parts are rubbery and warped, lack of molded details, etc. I couldn't even mask anything so it was all painted free hand. Just an all around different experience compared to the perfection of a Bandai kit. I have much respect for the 3.75" customizers out there after this experience. I think they turned out well considering.

I have no idea which molds these were as I'm not a 3.75" collector. My client mailed me them and they were all the same droid, R2-N3. I believe it is a B.A.D. Stripping the paint is dangerous with this type of material. I opted to paint over the underlying paint with multiple coats of primer first.
    Full name: Barf-olemew ***Now Accepting Commissions***
    Check out my My 6" Astromech Customization Thread for more pics and info
    Also, check out my My Photo Album and Custom 6" Emperor's Throne
    Star Wars Bandai Model Kit Discussion Thread BARF's Feedback Thread

Finally got around to completing my custom Bandai 1/12 bartender R2 unit. This guy can be seen on Jabba’s Sail Barge in ROTJ. Of all the Astromech customs I have done, this is near the top for my favourites. The deep red and white contrast well together. And the dome accessories just make this guy stand out among the rest. I especially like the two tone LED processor status indicators on the front and back too.

The bartender dome accessory is partially modded to retrofit onto the Bandai dome and came from the Mafex R2-D2/C-3P0 set. The drink tray was coated in a wash to bring out the details and to give it a more screen accurate brass tone.

Jabba’s droid can also be posed without the bartender accessory by replacing the small circular dome panel near the top. This is possible since I drilled a tiny hole which can allow the owner to easily slip a secret key (a paper clip with one end bent lol) in there and lift out the panel whenever they want. This allows the modded central fluid dispenser to sit in its place. It can turn 360 degrees to ensure every alien has a full glass

Thanks to those that provided me reference pics and input on the design. Let me know what you think.

Full name: Barf-olemew ***Now Accepting Commissions***
    Check out my My 6" Astromech Customization Thread for more pics and info
    Also, check out my My Photo Album and Custom 6" Emperor's Throne
    Star Wars Bandai Model Kit Discussion Thread BARF's Feedback Thread

Outstanding job Barf, that looks great! You have really taken this guy to another level, and the drink tray setup is the icing on the cake!
    TK-114
    Imperial Stormcustomizer
    Alias: Net-Viper X
    Check out my website to see more Star Wars customs. My Rebel Scum Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BARF View Post
    Finally got around to completing my custom Bandai 1/12 bartender R2 unit. This guy can be seen on Jabba’s Sail Barge in ROTJ. Of all the Astromech customs I have done, this is near the top for my favourites. The deep red and white contrast well together. And the dome accessories just make this guy stand out among the rest. I especially like the two tone LED processor status indicators on the front and back too.

The bartender dome accessory is partially modded to retrofit onto the Bandai dome and came from the Mafex R2-D2/C-3P0 set. The drink tray was coated in a wash to bring out the details and to give it a more screen accurate brass tone.

Jabba’s droid can also be posed without the bartender accessory by replacing the small circular dome panel near the top. This is possible since I drilled a tiny hole which can allow the owner to easily slip a secret key (a paper clip with one end bent lol) in there and lift out the panel whenever they want. This allows the modded central fluid dispenser to sit in its place. It can turn 360 degrees to ensure every alien has a full glass

Thanks to those that provided me reference pics and input on the design. Let me know what you think.

BARF wooooow. Amazing work! I'm getting a little tipsy just looking at this!

Awesome work Barf,love it.
    I wonder where that green liquid comes from??

Well I received the most amazing custom of all time in the mail today. THANK YOU BARF!!!!

Figuarts R2 and BB-9E in there for fun.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223