Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: These Are The 6" Droids You're Looking For...And Other Custom Bandai Kits

Wow its like two different paint jobs, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by BARF View Post
    Thanks, kk1.

Here are some outdoor pics which really show the duality of the aqua colour. Sometimes it's bluish, sometimes greenish

Wow dude. WOW. Ok, I'm gonna need one of these lol. Amazing job!

Thanks, kk1.

Here are some outdoor pics which really show the duality of the aqua colour. Sometimes it's bluish, sometimes greenish

Very nice! That coloring has a subtle vibrancy that gives it an animated appearance.
    "May the Funk be with You!"

Thanks, guys!

I was asked by a fellow scummer (and client) if I can repaint some 3.75" Droids. Hasbro action figures are not my normal canvas. Many of you know I work my magic using the Bandai Astromech model kit but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

My first thought was yikes! These things are tiny. This is going to require a ton of hand detailing. Kudos to all you 3.75" customizers. I have a new appreciation for what you do. I really don't know what is considered a good custom in this scale as I've never done up a custom droid before this small so I just went with what I know and stuck to my principles of painting.

I will say that IMO the mold at this scale is not as highly detailed as I'd hoped and a little rubbery feeling so it did present new challenges with accuracy and paint/masking technique. I'm very OCD when it comes to my customs so this challenge took me outside my comfort zone.

Anyways, here is the one I did up recently in 6" form that I translated into 3.75" scale. Let me know what you think. I've also got an R2-A5 and Unnamed Blue R2 Unit from Episode IV in the works.

Deleted Scene R2 Units from Episode IV

Full name: Barf-olemew ***Now Accepting Commissions***
    Check out my My 6" Astromech Customization Thread for more pics and info
    Also, check out my My Photo Album and Custom 6" Emperor's Throne
    Star Wars Bandai Model Kit Discussion Thread BARF's Feedback Thread

Cool, how did you do the dome for these BARF, just a wash of blue (or aqua?) over the the normal silver? Seeing your results it makes me think that's what they did to the actual prop too.

Quote Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
    Cool, how did you do the dome for these BARF, just a wash of blue (or aqua?) over the the normal silver?
    No it's a lot more complex than that. These particular domes involved multiple layers of paint and washes using different application techniques until it reached my expected outcome. The little dome took literally three hours alone, no joke. There is no recipe. I just keep adding layers until I'm satisfied. To me droid customization is an art, not a science. That's why all my droids are unique, even all the duplicates I've made for others.
    Last edited by BARF; 07-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    Full name: Barf-olemew ***Now Accepting Commissions***
    Check out my My 6" Astromech Customization Thread for more pics and info
    Also, check out my My Photo Album and Custom 6" Emperor's Throne
    Star Wars Bandai Model Kit Discussion Thread BARF's Feedback Thread

No it's a lot more complex than that. These particular domes involved multiple layers of paint and washes using different application techniques until it reached my expected outcome. The little dome took literally three hours alone, no joke. There is no recipe. I just keep adding layers until I'm satisfied. To me droid customization is an art, not a science. That's why all my droids are unique, even all the duplicates I've made for others.
    Welcome to the world of 3.75! I love your work and to see this little guy is exciting. Well done for a fantastic Job!
    These ARE the droids we're looking for!

Koth's feedback Koth's Trading

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122