Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yavin IV Temple Playset Concept

Yavin IV Temple Playset Concept

I wanted another playset template, building on the experience I had gained on the last two, but wanted something different. So I decided to tackle the secret Rebel Base on Yavin IV.

Once again this is built from chipboard, with pieces that slot together and come back apart for easy flatpacking. The graphics printed on the board are my own design, drawn up in Photoshop.

Features this time around include five environments for play (Tactical Room, Throne Room (with pop-up stage,) Hangar Bay, Ops Center, and Rooftop) and a Guard Tower. The Ops Center features movable tactical plot screens and a big holotank table. There are doors between the rooms on the bottom level.

This one was a lot of fun to design and create. The Death Star and Cloud City I had floorplans for dating back probably ten years, they were just a matter of doing it finally. This one was all-new, except for the graphics for the holotank and the big video screen (those I had made in '08 for my Rebellion shelf display.) I definitely wanted to do a 180 from the others at every possible opportunity. Thus, tall profile, hard angles instead of curves, only 3 walls, large open second level...and I really enjoyed being able to pull off the guard tower as a part of the set.

As always, comments are appreciated very much. Thanks for looking!
    Looking for new Cardboard Playsets? Check out my Death Star, Cloud City, and Yavin IV playsets!
    Classic Fanfic By ME--"Playing by the Rules"

I think it is kind of neat and that most people would be interested in if for the Ops centre.

My biggest concern is that the areas themselves are not visually interesting (not your fault at all - you rendered them just fine! the set itself was just brick walls.). The hanger might be improved if at least one side was an illusion of a deeper hanger filled with vehicles. If possible, I'd extend the floor so an X Wing could actually fit in it.

Another concern is that the areas themselves are not as "playable" as your other two amazing creations. This would be a great piece for displaying figures (Ceremony chamber or Briefing room) but most of the rooms don't have much action or were not exciting in the movie.

Could the shape be changed to be more ziggurate-like?
    Are there details that could be added (floor lights and wires in the hanger)?

Perhaps I don't remember how I played with my toys as a child and that Pilots never interested me so I'm not the demographic you are looking for. Your first two got me really excited and I actually wanted to build them. This one doesn't do much for me (except the Op Center).

Sorry I couldn't be as enthused about this one.

No problem, Utinniii. I will take a "less enthused" lengthy review any day of the week.

Not exciting? We saw people talking here! We saw plans made, ships loaded, friends reunited...no bad guys whatsoever...

I absolutely get what you're saying. Had the Imperials invaded the base or had there been some kind of battle, this would certainly lend itself more to play-time. As it is, it works as a display for the many Rebel figures, and play would depend on imaginary situations. Still, as a kid I loved "bases."

Could definitely be made more "ziggurat"--I chose "pyramidal" because I was looking for a triangular/three-side silhouette. Even just chunking out the actual sides of the stone blocks on the existing three walls would get it closer to that look (The "real" temple has five sides, I believe.)

As for the hangar, I guess I just envision parking X-Wings and Y-Wings just off the playset's base.

I went all-out on stuff for the Ops-Center, I really wanted to make those tactical screens work, and I think they do, especially giving the background to the big holotank.

Thanks!
    Looking for new Cardboard Playsets? Check out my Death Star, Cloud City, and Yavin IV playsets!

Here are some pictures with figures to give a better sense of the scale of it all. These are the bottom floor scenes...

Thanks for checking it out!

And here are the upper levels...

I enjoyed the tactical screen challenge. I hadn't done printing for clear sheets before, and it was a bit of mental gymnastics figuring out how to get printout skins, cardboard bones, and acetate to all function together. Should make the Echo Base tactical screens easier to figure out when the time comes.

And the exterior pieces...I had fun throwing in a tropical background on these...

The temple rooftop was never used in the movie, but it's a great place to let the New Jedi Order hang out...

Thanks!

That last pic needs the bunny jedi!

The playset looks better with the figures.

I had the idea of extending the docking bay floor and adding a freestanding hanger door, something that could be defended. If you get into the modular idea it could be a separate playset.

Love the design and concept. It works for me.....I can imagine as a kid readying the rebel fleet as I then load the x and y-wing for attack on the death star (play set) and trying to convince Han to help. The two sets go hand in hand..... Well done!
    continuing the vintage dream......one custom at a time!

Loving all the custom displays you are making. The designs, layouts, etc. the only thing is to me is they appear more like playsets from the 90s, and not the hand drawn, often goofy sets of the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by bp1978 View Post
    Loving all the custom displays you are making. The designs, layouts, etc. the only thing is to me is they appear more like playsets from the 90s, and not the hand drawn, often goofy sets of the 80s.
    Guilty as charged! A Yavin IV playset made in the vintage style would probably be more like Land of the Jawas/Creature Cantina--vacformed base with cardboard backdrop. And there aren't any vintages figures except X-Wing Luke to hang out there.

In my mind these are all an extension of the Cantina and Jabba's Palace "Pop-Up Diorama" display line from 97-98. That line should have been a successful add-on to the figure line, but the timing was off and the introduction was bungled. They basically sold Cantinas for a year through mail order and the Fan Club before introducing Jabba's Palace, but then didn't make the second one available the same way. And due to the glut of '98 they never found a spot on retailer's shelves. A third was designed--Echo Base Hangar--but got held back from the initial wave (because they wanted to redesign it--it was just a two-foot wide empty room with a colorful backdrop) and then the line was scrapped before more could be done.

My drive is to make these available to anyone who wants them, if you feel that gap is there in your collection then I think it is high time to fill it! The last straw for me was no playsets/dioramas/environments at all in the TFA line. Hasbro doesn't want to do it, but I do! So drop me a line if you're interested in purchasing any of these! I hope to be able to keep doing this for a long, long time. [/sales pitch]

I hope you get lots of orders. A lot of collectors need good display areas or places to play. These seem much sturdier than the cardboard ones of the 70's and 80's.
    They are also great for people that want a diorama but don't have the confidence/skills to do it.

I mentioned in a different thread that you should make paper boxes and other accessories. While I still think you should do that (only like the 3D puzzles) your pic of the docking bay gave me another idea. You could make that transport yourself. It would be boxy but still fun. You could also make the fueling tanks. They could be could separately.

This is what I was thinking one hanger wall could look like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast