Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Han's pet monster in ANH?

Han's pet monster in ANH?

Seriously, I keep seeing this brown thing and it looks like a creature to me. What is it really?

it's the decapitated head of JarJar Binks.

-===-

p.s: hi-res screencaps for all movies can be found here:
    Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) - Star Wars Screencaps.com

-===-

p.p.s: kinda funny that the EU didn't latch onto this and create a contrived and convoluted backstory around it.

IIRC the line in this scene is "..you can forget your troubles with those imperial slugs.."

--> the EU latched onto the singular line "rebel scum" from ROTJ, and turned it into an endless ongoing catchphrase stereotype ... so ... why no catchphrase for "Imperial Slugs" then?
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

One of the only redeeming things about the Jabba scene being put in the movie in '97 (and far overshadowed by the scene's obvious redundancy) is the fact that Han calls Jabba a "wonderful human being" then turns around a couple scenes later and calls the (completely devoid of any kind of alien representation, 100% humanoid) Imperials "slugs." I chuckle about his warped view of the galaxy every time.

Back on topic, is it a wadded up pair of gloves?
    Looking for new Cardboard Playsets? Check out my Death Star, Cloud City, and Yavin IV playsets!
    Classic Fanfic By ME--"Playing by the Rules"

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    p.p.s: kinda funny that the EU didn't latch onto this and create a contrived and convoluted backstory around it.

IIRC the line in this scene is "..you can forget your troubles with those imperial slugs.."

--> the EU latched onto the singular line "rebel scum" from ROTJ, and turned it into an endless ongoing catchphrase stereotype ... so ... why no catchphrase for "Imperial Slugs" then?
    Would you be able to provide numerous examples of the usage of the phrase "rebel scum" in the EU? If it is an endless ongoing catchphrase stereotype, then to me, that suggests that it is very frequently used and is something that should be able to be recalled with some thought and effort. Considering the sheer volume and depth of the EU, for it to be endless and ongoing, there must be dozens upon dozens of examples of it.
    I have very little exposure to the original Marvel run, but have an extensive collection from the Dark Horse run, as well as all adult novels since the Thrawn Trilogy started the last EU incarnation. While I won't deal in absolutes and say that the phrase was never used, I have no specific recollection of it being used. If it was endless and ongoing, it should have registered with me. If not specific examples, then the very fact that it was a heavily repeated theme. There may have been a story line in the Dark Horse Empire title where an Imperial used the phrase. That is the extent of what I can recall.
    Even if it was used a handful of times, that still would not suggest it to be endless and ongoing, again, due to the volume and depth of material.
    The only real usage of the phrase outside of that scene that I can think of is this very site itself. When I discovered the site, I thought it was an unusual phrase to choose as a name, as it wasn't what I considered a well known Star Wars phrase, and it certainly had a negative connotation in the movie.

I don't mean to sidetrack your post Utinniii, but this comment is a slight towards the EU. Thus I am interested to see it backed up with some facts, because my personal extensive exposure to the EU doesn't particularly agree that the comment is accurate.

Utinniii, could that be a pair of tan, knuckle-less gloves, that have adjustable straps at the wrist? Maybe Han has various pairs of gloves about the ship. They could have been removed and placed atop the equipment. Perhaps there was a take of the scene where Han came into the scene removing a pair of gloves and put them there.
    (Muftak hadn't replied yet when I started composing mine, but I see we share the same train of thought; a pair of gloves)
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 02-24-2016 at 03:55 AM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

Quote Originally Posted by Muftak View Post
    One of the only redeeming things about the Jabba scene being put in the movie in '97 (and far overshadowed by the scene's obvious redundancy) is the fact that Han calls Jabba a "wonderful human being" then turns around a couple scenes later and calls the (completely devoid of any kind of alien representation, 100% humanoid) Imperials "slugs." I chuckle about his warped view of the galaxy every time.

Back on topic, is it a wadded up pair of gloves?
    There was a redeeming quality in the 1997 version? Nah...

But, yes, I do agree on the latter part. I believe they are gloves. Or a very quiet Loth-cat. Or maybe a taxidermied puffer pig (before expanding). Whatever that brown lump is, I'm sure there is a back-story lurking somewhere.
    "I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal." -Jane Austen

WTB: SSC PF Asajj Ventress (EE)

you would deny that "rebel scum" is some kind of catchphrase? really?

from wookieepedia:

re: the Rebel Alliance.

The Alliance to Restore the Republic, also known as the Alliance to Restore Freedom to the Galaxy, the Rebel Alliance or simply Alliance and, informally, as the Rebellion, was a loose alliance of planetary, system, and sector-level insurrectionist factions. Members of the Rebellion were known as "Rebels," "Rebs," or "Rebel Scum" by stormtroopers and other Imperials.
    ^^ it's in the wiki, FFS.

ok so perhaps I overspoke, by calling it "endless" or whatever ... suffice to say : "It's A Thing" -- it was "latched onto" by EU writers and fans alike. (its the name of this website)

[rhetorical] so why is "Imperial Slugs" not a thing? these are 2 comparable lines of dialog (a singular line from a singular movie). what's the difference?

[point] apparently the EU 'picks and chooses' what it wants to embellish... and Han's crumpled jacket, aka: pet monster, was not 'blown up' into "a thing" , the way so many cantina patrons were.

that was my only point. (I'm sorry if I stepped on your precious EU; my bad).

Nerd Alert: Star Wars Rebel Scum Fan Film & Why Trailers Suck

Rebel Scum t-shirt - Somethinggeeky

You Rebel Scum! - TV Tropes

^^ (( it's listed as a trope on TVtropes.com FFS -- you can't deny the ongoing pop-culture catchphrase here -- so where's the 'trope' for "Imperial Slug"? )) [/rhetorical] [/point]
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 02-24-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

"Imperial slugs" was in reference to the Star Destroyers, and Han didn't really consider them very slug-like in ESB (perhaps especially not after encountering an actual space slug)...so that might explain why it never "caught on" as much as "Rebel scum".

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    you would deny that "rebel scum" is some kind of catchphrase? really?

from wookieepedia:

re: the Rebel Alliance.

^^ it's in the wiki, FFS.

ok so perhaps I overspoke, by calling it "endless" or whatever ... suffice to say : "It's A Thing" -- it was "latched onto" by EU writers and fans alike. (its the name of this website)

[rhetorical] so why is "Imperial Slugs" not a thing? these are 2 comparable lines of dialog (a singular line from a singular movie). what's the difference?

[point] apparently the EU 'picks and chooses' what it wants to embellish... and Han's crumpled jacket, aka: pet monster, was not 'blown up' into "a thing" , the way so many cantina patrons were.

that was my only point. (I'm sorry if I stepped on your precious EU; my bad).

Nerd Alert: Star Wars Rebel Scum Fan Film & Why Trailers Suck

Rebel Scum t-shirt - Somethinggeeky

You Rebel Scum! - TV Tropes

^^ (( it's listed as a trope on TVtropes.com FFS -- you can't deny the ongoing pop-culture catchphrase here -- so where's the 'trope' for "Imperial Slug"? )) [/rhetorical] [/point]
    No, I do not deny that "rebel scum" is some kind of catchphrase. 'Some kind of' is a far cry from 'endless and ongoing,' which is the usage I was questioning.

You refer to wookieepedia, but basically all you have is that you said the EU latched onto it and it was used endlessly and ongoing, and that somebody wrote on wookieepedia that stormtroopers used it. Lots of people 'say' lots of things, I merely questioned what you said and asked if you could provide proof to back up your claim. You have not done this. You did state that maybe you overspoke, which is essentially what I was addressing, but you are still trying to support your claim in general. You reassert that your point is that the EU 'picks and chooses' what it wants to embellish. The problem is that you have not referred to the EU as I and I might assume most people would understand it to be; the written word in novel, comic, or some sort of reference book form. You have expanded your claim to now include EU writers AND fans alike. This was not your original statement. I would not necessarily argue that there are fans that use the phrase, and in the world of fans, it is a catchphrase. But someone selling t-shirts is not the EU. A fan film using the phrase is not the EU. It being a trope and an ongoing pop-culture catchphrase is not the EU.

Perhaps your personal opinion had led your definition of the EU to include fan work such as t-shirts, news articles, and websites, but I don't believe that most who refer to the EU would include those. I even declared my exposure to the EU so you know very well what my base of reference was from. You could simply have said you may have been thinking more so of fan generated whatnot using the catchphrase endlessly and ongoing, and not necessarily the EU, which is the written and illustrated word. You would have clarified your comment to more accurately reflect what you meant, and I would have seen to the EU not being maligned, and that could have been it. Or you might very well have provided the proof that I questioned, and you could have proven your point AS WELL AS further demonstrated the catchphrase's prominence by presenting all of your references to the world of fans.

Yes I do enjoy the EU, but calling it "your precious EU" is further belittling of the EU, and an attempt to be derogatory towards me, through the inclusion of . And to use 'FFS' not once but twice, in your first rebuttal to what was a questioning post from me, one that was not in any way derogatory towards you, reflects poorly on your ability to address or debate the details of a point or topic. Provide your evidence when questioned, not an emotional exclamation at what I can only assume is you not believing that I don't know what you feel you know. Using 'FFS' is essentially saying that you can't believe I don't know this... wouldn't providing proof be the most effective way to address me questioning your assertion? Showing me that I'm wrong, rather than telling me?

You can dislike the EU all you want, I have no opinion on your preferences, tastes, and right to have them. But if you are going to make derogatory commentary towards a topic that someone else may enjoy, you must be aware that someone may very well question and ask you to support those comments and claims, if they feel they are erroneous. I don't deny your right to your opinions and their expression, but I certainly have the right to question their validity.

Aside from the fact that I disagreed with your comment and thus asked if you could back it up, perhaps I posted because Utinniii asked a question, and your reply essentially was, "I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm going to take this opportunity to belittle the EU" and it just seemed unnecessary. I can say that Utinniii is a member who endeavors to stay upbeat in discussions, and even when discussing likes and dislikes, chooses his words carefully so as not to be blatantly derogatory. He respects that others may dislike something but tries to keep discussions constructive. And, to me, this was a post where he asked an innocent question about a visual detail, and you used your reply to promulgate negative opinions about a topic that really wasn't connected to his question.

I apologize, Utinniii, if you or anyone feel like I'm sidetracking the original topic. It's not something I normally do, and I don't intend to drag it out further. I just felt like Cobalt60's comment was erroneous and not related to the topic in the first place, and so I questioned it.

I still think the original item in question is a pair of gloves of some sort.
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 02-24-2016 at 07:44 PM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

No worries,
    That's a lot of fabric to be a pair of gloves. Compare the mass to Han's head (not making a dig on Ford's ego there!).
    Possibly a vest (the one he took from a young Greedo?) or just rags.
    I was hoping someone with a better computer (or source) could blow it up or something (or someone had a backstage photo from a different angle).
    I didn't ask it, but I'm curious if anyone else sees a monster there?
    I might be just because I owned a Boglin and it looks similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast