Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Star Playset Concept

Again.....incredible work! your dios look fantastic and cover all the key moments. I am becoming a huge fan of your pieces!
    continuing the vintage dream......one custom at a time!

Yes, most cool indeed! I'd be very interested in pdfs to print out to copy this!

That is a really cool play set you made Muftak.

Just found this thread. Very cool. Did you ever end up selling these?
    dude, you got dirt all over my truck...
    I'm not too worried about it!

I sure do. I put a couple on eBay the past few months to garner interest but the listings usually don't last long before they sell. I also respond to commission requests, and since this skips eBay fees the buyer can get it cheaper.

I hand-number and sign each of the playsets I do, which makes these "limited edition" collectible works of art as well. Once I close out the edition size (This one for example is 100 pieces) I will retire the design.

PM me any time if you're interested!

Amazing, incredible, and nostalgic! Modern figures would look great too on this, but it just begs for vintage displaying!
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

Loving your work! I've seen a couple on ebay so far and I'm seriously interested. Someone mentioned the Emperor's throne room in a post and it made be think of another project I would love for you to create...and then for me to buy.

Have you ever considered doing any work with the 6 inch line? I would love a throne/throne room, Jabba's palace back drop/throne, trash compactor box (like the saga 3.75). Could be a nice money making venture. I know I would send you some of mine!

I think that the tractor beam control topper is a great touch. I've been checking out a lot of Death Star dioramas recently, but so many skip the tractor beam controls. I always thought that scene was much more significant in the Death Star act of ANH than some gave it credit for. And when it came to the vintage playset, that was was one of my favorite parts since the catwalk around the controls was so precarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Daigo_Bah View Post
    Amazing, incredible, and nostalgic! Modern figures would look great too on this, but it just begs for vintage displaying!
    Thanks!! I was really learning on the job designing the walls for this one, and I felt it came across a little more vintage vibe by the time it was done, but I have grown to love it. I definitely had vintage and modern both in mind when I made it...

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Wars_Dork
    Have you ever considered doing any work with the 6 inch line? I would love a throne/throne room, Jabba's palace back drop/throne, trash compactor box (like the saga 3.75). Could be a nice money making venture. I know I would send you some of mine!

I don't collect 6" figures so I really don't have an interest, plus I am constantly bumping my head against the limits of the size I can do things in the 3.75" scale, I can imagine it would be so much worse at nearly double the size. I will be sticking with 3.75" for the time being...

...that being said, the above question got me thinking about doing a Death Star II with the same footprint as this ANH Death Star, with a throne room, a shuttle hangar, a superlaser control room, and...uh...are there any other locations shown in the ROTJ Death Star scenes?? Maybe I could get away with a Death Star II that had 3 separate, two-level scenes...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklab
    I think that the tractor beam control topper is a great touch. I've been checking out a lot of Death Star dioramas recently, but so many skip the tractor beam controls. I always thought that scene was much more significant in the Death Star act of ANH than some gave it credit for. And when it came to the vintage playset, that was was one of my favorite parts since the catwalk around the controls was so precarious.

Thanks! I remember playing with my vintage Death Star too, and those tractor beam controls were always key to whatever adventure was going on. I would have left out the briefing room before I would remove the tractor beam controls!

I struggled with it in this design, because my strict logical side kept telling me it had to go in the chasm area, but that's cramped as it is. The first prototype actually had it as a removable piece that could be placed between the bridge halves. And then I stuck it up on top for "storage" when it wasn't in the chasm scene, and...my artistic/design side realized a platform up there would allow for the four walls to lock together much more securely, and so it got moved to the top in the next design phase.

I'd pay to purchase the designs to make my own with corrugated plastic. Looks sweet!
    Paying 1999 prices for 2015 toys in Parts Unknown.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast