Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Star Playset Concept

Death Star Playset Concept

Hey all. It has been a long time....

Here's a Death Star Playset I built.

The concept was to make a modernized update of the cardboard Palitoy Death Star from back in the day. I wanted it to be as close to a "production piece" as I could get. It is made from my own self-designed backgrounds applied to chipboard. The whole thing slots together / comes back apart for flat storage. It's about 15 inches tall with the tower on top, and just over 20 inches in diameter.

I've always really liked those old Death Stars. This is probably the closest I will get to having one.

The plan is to find some way to produce these things for fellow collectors as a sort of third-party vendor if there is any interest out there. What do you say?

Thanks for looking!

I like it enough I was actually looking closely at the phase two prototype on ebay earlier today!

That looks pretty amazing! I think your Tractor beam generator station is much better than the original gunner station. You have all the important rooms accounted for.
    The only thing I would like changed is the Trash Compactor room. The dimensions are off. It might be nice if the room had the moving wall (and the other room extended as it closed. I would also make the trap door functional. That was a great playing feature of the original toy.

Your catwalk is also more playable than the original.

Please excuse the double post. This is pretty amazing and it got my mind racing. It reminded me of when I was a kid and designed these amazing impractical playsets (yours is very practical though.)

If this takes off, you could easily add modulars to it showing different rooms, or build a second half with more rooms.

I thought of something else I'd change. I would divide the Prison corridor into a long hall and the trap door area would also double as Leia's cell. You'd need to add the wall with (sliding) door. I'd also have a picture of the elevator/floor for your landing bay.

This is really inspiring!

Thanks DarthPete and Utinnii!

Utinnii, I hear your critique of the compactor. I intend to make the door functional at some point, so I decided to place it on the longer wall, which did flip/flop the layout of the walls. Oh, and the wall does swing in for "trash compacting" action (it leaves the muck on the floor behind though...) also the grate piece on the floor above is removable to allow for "escaping" action.

There is so much I'd like to do with this thing, but I've tried to keep it basic. I have ideas for a much more "deluxe" treatment, but that would be something else entirely.

Also thanks for the comments about the Hangar floor details...I designed some arrows and the elevator outline for that, but they feel like they point out the underscaling too much so I haven't included them (as of yet. As DarthPete pointed out I have been trying this a few times now and look to continue to make improvements with each passing generation.)

Again, thanks!

I made this picture to go along with the rest, just for the fun of it...

I have really been enjoying getting back into my "diorama therapy" lately!

Quote Originally Posted by Muftak View Post
    I made this picture to go along with the rest, just for the fun of it...

I have really been enjoying getting back into my "diorama therapy" lately!

you should make and sell these on eBay or something. I'd definitely buy one. that is awesome. I'd love to see what you can make for an Emperor's Throne Room.
    Longing for the Good Old Kenner Days where SW Figures were in great supply and everyone was able to find their favorite characters etc..... Hasbro you need to follow this example ! Twitter: @SWChamp
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1055416/

Nice work I made one too how do I post pics?

This looks amazing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast