Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Captain Phasma (Gwendoline Christie)

Quote Originally Posted by Alluvialdamper View Post
    I like Gwendoline Christie but in interviews concerning the "character" Captain Phasma she really is full of shi* talking completely out of her a** concerning the characters development (corporate videos written all over it so I give her the benefit of the doubt).
    Actors do this all the time. It's not exclusive to Star Wars. They exaggerate their character's importance in interviews because what else are they really going to say? "Yeah, I play a character called Captain Phasma. I really don't do much. Thanks for watching." No, they puff it up a little bit. Especially, like you alluded to, when they're part of the promotion machine for a huge blockbuster movie produced by a giant film studio. It's just business as usual. I understand that a big part of the issue with Phasma is that some people feel like the hype didn't match what they saw onscreen. That's a fair point, but I have a hard time believing people went to see TFA because they were on the edge of their seats waiting to find out what that silver Stormtrooper was all about, and then experienced crushing disappointment after watching the movie.

Phasma is a total none-character, like unfortunately most of the new characters except of Rey and Finn and they have their problems too. As long as Star Wars under Disney isn't capable to pull it off to care for any of those characters it really doesn't make any sense to discuss this any further. RLM put it best naming her "Captain Toy". That's really all she is at the moment.
    It's a little bit unfair to blame Disney for not developing characters when you could really say the same thing about the OT. How many OT characters can you really say are well-developed? Luke, Han, Vader, MAYBE Leia, and...who else? How much do we really know about Lando by the end of ROTJ? Tarkin is essentially the main villain of ANH and we learn exactly nothing about his character. These are just examples and to be clear I'm not knocking the OT by any means. These characters serve their purposes from a dramatic standpoint and that's really all I expect from them. But I guess my point is I'm not sure why Phasma is being held to this weird standard where everyone expects her to be this complex, nuanced character and then acts like they've been cheated when it's not the case.

As for "Captain Toy," I actually think that's funny. But Phasma is hardly the first Star Wars character that was created, at least in large part, because he or she would make a cool looking action figure.

Phasma is different because she was built up to be a strong female villain in Star Wars, which was supposed to be a first. This pushed forward not just by the actress but the production and production material as well. At the time some people found it odd that gender was such an important part of this character. The production made it a point to highlight how the casting of this character was very important and the actress chosen neeeded to be a woman who embodies strength and is a force to be reckoned with.

When the movie was released it became obvious how insignificant the character turned out to be when compared to the "important female villain in Star Wars" talk.

I don't care how intellectually dishonest a person is...it's no shock that many viewers can sense what happened here. It was identity politics being shoe horned into this movie. Phasma had less of a roll than zam wessel.

The OT characters you listed became pop cultural icons.

Thats the difference.

Let’s tell it like it is…

Casting Gwendoline in the role of Phasma was purely to cash in for her huge popularity as Brienne. Nothing more. Why people are fooled into believing that Disney is doing anything progressive socially/politically is hilariously naive. Like SW never had a no-nonsense, one-of-the-boys woman at a time when all the sic-fi “princesses” were dressed as Vegas showgirls...

Gwendoline brought absolutely nothing remotely fresh to her forgettable role in, in a forgettable, obnoxiously reductive movie. She’s absolutely not to blame though; I imagine her handlers and JJ insisted she just phone in her role as Brienne for Phasma so they could easily hook in the GoT demographic. It’s all so transparent and corporate with nu-SW (thank you Cobalt for branding that title!).

(Can’t remember if she took her helmet off since I would never suffer through TFA again, but thank goodness the armor didn’t include “boobs” as any silly EU-design would likely go for— that, and likely a midriff-revealing and booty-exaggerated armour design… So there you go: My once decent praise towards TFA...)
    Last edited by farmer; 07-19-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Actors do this all the time. It's not exclusive to Star Wars. They exaggerate their character's importance in interviews because what else are they really going to say? "Yeah, I play a character called Captain Phasma. I really don't do much. Thanks for watching." No, they puff it up a little bit. Especially, like you alluded to, when they're part of the promotion machine for a huge blockbuster movie produced by a giant film studio. It's just business as usual. I understand that a big part of the issue with Phasma is that some people feel like the hype didn't match what they saw onscreen. That's a fair point, but I have a hard time believing people went to see TFA because they were on the edge of their seats waiting to find out what that silver Stormtrooper was all about, and then experienced crushing disappointment after watching the movie.

It's a little bit unfair to blame Disney for not developing characters when you could really say the same thing about the OT. How many OT characters can you really say are well-developed? Luke, Han, Vader, MAYBE Leia, and...who else? How much do we really know about Lando by the end of ROTJ? Tarkin is essentially the main villain of ANH and we learn exactly nothing about his character. These are just examples and to be clear I'm not knocking the OT by any means. These characters serve their purposes from a dramatic standpoint and that's really all I expect from them. But I guess my point is I'm not sure why Phasma is being held to this weird standard where everyone expects her to be this complex, nuanced character and then acts like they've been cheated when it's not the case.

As for "Captain Toy," I actually think that's funny. But Phasma is hardly the first Star Wars character that was created, at least in large part, because he or she would make a cool looking action figure.
    The difference in the OT is that you had characters who became cult figures after the fact. Lets take Boba Fett for example, George Lucas' intention was to model him after the villains you see in old Samurai movies. The mystical Samurai with a lot of skill you couldn't really figure out how much skill he has and how dangerous he is. He had a purpose and wasn't put in the movie simply for fan service or something similar. If you take Phasma for example, you have a clear recreation of a Boba Fett'ish Stormtrooper'ish hybrid, therefore it is a none character to me because the only purpose and really the only purpose is to appeal to people's synapses in a sense of "I've seen this before, I know this. This is Star Wars". Characters don't need a lot of explanation they need a purpose, and the OT characters ALL had a purpose in their own regard. As you pointed out, Lando is an excellent example, the arch he had from Empire to Jedi, makes him a more interesting character in ROTJ along Luke Skywalker. They really looked into it what they can do with this character.

I want to see how it turns out with Phasma, because they have a different problem here, they have a character created based upon fan service not because the character has any purpose in the story or in the movie other than being Finn's superior and being used for another corny "trash compactor! Remember this audience? Remember a new hope?". There are no characteristics to her, just a silver armor. I expect more from a writer and a director because you HAVE TO do better on that level.

Concerning Disney, I didn't say it is exclusive to Disney or Star Wars, but that doesn't mean it has to be defended?! I oppose the marketing approach to it in general because I strongly believe good quality will lead to good results, to control it on that level is a statement of bankruptcy for the Company and product they try to promote and sort of shows how insecure they are and how less confident they have in what they put out.
    Last edited by Alluvialdamper; 08-10-2017 at 02:07 AM.

First of all, I'm a big GOT fan & GC as Brienne of Tarth has always been one of my favorite characters; I have a thing for tall, blonde, Amazonian women it's worth noting that GC was a model before she became an actress.

So, I was somewhat disappointed that they didn't show Phasma without her helmet in at least one scene in TFA. It would have been a cool 'reveal'. She was definitely underused in the film....

The novel did a good job of fleshing out her character. It's predictable in spots but she certainly has the makings of a great villain.

I have to laugh when this developing characters crap keeps floating up. It was one film in a trilogy, think maybe this "development" could progress a bit more in time, and let it all, you know-develop? Oh and yeah, casting her was to "cash in " on Brienne, cuz, you know-w/o this actress, TFA woulda been a total failure, they really needed HER there to succeed. ugh, man and I didn't think I was gonna drink today.....
    Last edited by jpolli666; 09-13-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    I have to laugh when this developing characters crap keeps floating up. It was one film in a trilogy, think maybe this "development" could progress a bit more in time, and let it all, you know-develop? Oh and yeah, casting her was to "cash in " on Brienne, cuz, you know-w/o this actress, TFA woulda been a total failure, they really needed HER there to succeed. ugh, man and I didn't think I was gonna drink today.....

What you call "crap" is the basic of writing and belittling is like calling operating table instruments "crap" when doing heart surgery. Maybe you inform yourself more about writing and movie making in general before spitting the fire of an apologist trying to be cynical but really being very uncollected and uninformed.

WTF?? ...the "crap" I refer to is the whining about a certain something that has not yet run it's course, relax dude. It's film one of three, if you think it's all to be spelled out in one film then why make a trilogy?, DUH!!!!. It is you that needs to inform yourself about writing and movie making, rather than freak out here. Belittling? ...you read a different post guy? man, what a joke.
    What you call "crap" is the basic of writing and belittling is like calling operating table instruments "crap" when doing heart surgery. Maybe you inform yourself more about writing and movie making in general before spitting the fire of an apologist trying to be cynical but really being very uncollected and uninformed.
    Last edited by jpolli666; 09-14-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617