Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Trilogo.info article: Current prices, rarity & AFA

New Trilogo.info article: Current prices, rarity & AFA

Hey all,

I've just finished a bit of a lengthy article and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could check it out and let me know your thoughts (either here or on the forum thread linked at the bottom of the page).

Current prices, rarity & AFA | Trilogo.info

Hate mail is fine too but hopefully people understand the aim with this!

Thanks all!

Joe
    Happy buyers, happy sellers >> RS Feedback
    All you ever wanted to know about Trilogos >>www.trilogo.info
    Things I'm looking for >> WTB:ALL 8D8 Pre Prod!

Great write up joe, well thought out and intelligent as always.

Especially like the bit on AFA population reports. Their database is undeniably inaccurate, outdated and shouldnt have any influence on price or perceived rarity. I especially like the example of the tie fighter pilot - Im not a trilogo collector, but even I know there is nothing special about this piece.

Thanks for sharing,

Turk
    My UZAY website - http://www.uzaystarwars.com
    Those who don't step up, lemon juice in their nose -jedibabu.

Can't wait for Erik's rebuttal of his TFP auction description

*grabs popcorn*

Great piece Joe - and you're spot on about the POP reports - I would also question as to whether AFA goes 'easy' on some Trilogo figures as they seem to grade higher than their ROTJ or ESB equivalents with bubble damage

Quote Originally Posted by porkinsred6 View Post
    Can't wait for Erik's rebuttal of his TFP auction description

*grabs popcorn*
    Lol, if history is any indication the rebuttal will be crickets.
    My UZAY website - http://www.uzaystarwars.com
    Those who don't step up, lemon juice in their nose -jedibabu.

I like the population reports. As long as you remember that the report is only WHAT HAS BEEN GRADED and not EVERYTHING that exists. If you understand statistics, the report can give you a rough idea of the relative scarcity of each condition level. However, you need to have a large sample size. Low population reports can't tell you how rare something is by itself. I have a graded Action Display Stand Mailer. It's one of 8 (I think) that have been graded. It's huge, heavy and was quite expensive to get graded. We all know that Action Display Stand is super common. So why are there so few graded? Probably because most people don't want to spend that much.

Other comments:
    1. While AFA grading is subjective it is consistent. The consistency is what makes selling them so easy. I don't have to worry about the seller's personal grading scale; especially with poor or blurry pictures (or low res cameras back in the day). Even for some borderline cases where a figure is on the cusp of a grade level. Resending in something that was an 85 will comeback as an 85 or at worst an 80. It won't comeback as a 70
    2. I gladly pay a slight premium for an already graded item. My time is valuable. It's usually not worth my time to search for an ungraded version, carefully pack it up, ship it to AFA, pay for the pleasure of getting it graded and then risk it not coming back as high a grade as I wanted or getting damaged in transit. Why not pay a little extra for someone else to do that for me AND get something guaranteed to be that grade?
    Last edited by porkinsred6; 11-01-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Nice job Joe!!!! This IS going to be nice. I am still working on adding some high end Trilogo pieces to my collection now too.
    My Feedback
    WTB Lili Ledy Loose, Stormie, R2, Jawa Contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_O View Post
    Hey all,

I've just finished a bit of a lengthy article and I'd really appreciate it if you guys could check it out and let me know your thoughts (either here or on the forum thread linked at the bottom of the page).

Current prices, rarity & AFA | Trilogo.info

Hate mail is fine too but hopefully people understand the aim with this!

Thanks all!

Joe
    Oh the hate is coming!!!!lol

stop trying to depress the market,Joe!!!!

Us "full set of tris completed" club members cried out in terror when you remarked Madine isn't rare.....

he frickin is,you know!!!

it took me years to find mine!!.....don't let my vaunted T-shirt skew your data!!!

dingus!!

Darren
    Okay.Fine.You win.
    Now I'm going to enjoy my life while you are buried under a pile of plastic and cardboard.
    Big Barada

I thought it was an insightful read, that helped shed some light on the tri-logos for me... As far as AFA is concerned... where is Hoth_my_fav at????

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast