Thread: So, is this the real thing?

So, is this the real thing?

I can't make up my mind on this one. The fuzziness of the photos doesn't help.

Vintage 1977 Star Wars 12 Back Double Telescoping DT Luke | eBay

This guy had a bunch of great things for sale this month including an AFA 85 VCJ a U85 early bird display stand with all the stickers and forms present and unused, a sealed early bird certificate and this.
    What confused me is some of his stuff is AFA graded and some isn't. I know there are a lot of AFA detractors here, but they would be able to spot a fake carded DT luke and/or a reseal. So the fact that this wasn't graded but some of his other stuff was was a red flag for me.
    Last edited by porkinsred6; 10-19-2014 at 04:30 PM.

For such a high value piece you would have expected it to have been better marketed. As you say most of the photos are out of focus, the main photo is on its side, the photo of the DT which any potential buyer would be particularly interested in is not only out of focus but was taken at a particular angle which clashes with the bubble corner so you can't see it properly.

When I first saw that auction (bearing in mind the poor images) it looked legit to me but I did wonder how many people would pull the trigger on something as rare as that (from eBay) unless it was AFA graded. Also, when you consider the fact that there appears to be a definite crease in the bottom left corner and a ding to the card just to the right of the bubble stem, yet in the description it states "there are no bends or creases in the card" plus the owner thinks it would grade 85 (a tough call with such creasing), those are certainly red flags.

Banned

•    
    Well, I'm certainly no AFA fan, but the guy says he was 'going to' send it to AFA but decided to list it on ebay first. To me, that's REALLY suspicious. Everyone knows AFA is a golden ticket for a seller, so he's hiding something. If not authenticity, then something about condition, but it's hard to see what that could be.

As for the figure itself, most of the red flags seem to be okay. Fonts look good, as do colors. I'm concerned I can't see the bubble clearly enough to be able to tell if it has a cross-hatch pattern, double sided tape, or anything else in between. However, and I say this acknowledging I'm no carded DT Luke expert, I'm most concerned that he says this is on a 12b card. Again, I may be wrong, but I think all carded DT figures are on 12a cards.

Ian

According to this website, there is actually a C-back DT luke:

Luke skywalker 12 Back A Double Telescoping Lightsaber Sells for $13,000!

So, it could be legit (assuming the site's info is correct.)

If it's fake, it's a good one, and that's pretty scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    According to this website, there is actually a C-back DT luke:

Luke skywalker 12 Back A Double Telescoping Lightsaber Sells for $13,000!

So, it could be legit (assuming the site's info is correct.)

If it's fake, it's a good one, and that's pretty scary.
    Iv owned an AFA'd legit 12-C carded Luke DT in the past.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...