Thread: Frosting, and I'm not talking about the delicious kind. . .

Frosting, and I'm not talking about the delicious kind. . .

Frosting. Something I guess that's unavoidable as the plastic breaks down or whatever it's doing when the crystals form. I guess I'm not too clear on that. But, what can be done about it? I keep my figures in a dark, temperature controlled room, but I was still horrified to see frosting on some of my figures that I'd never noticed it on before, most upsettingly my 12 back Han.

I read online that you can hold the figure up to a light bulb and the heat should make the crystals go away, but I tried this, not wanting to get too close for fear of melting the bubble, and it didn't do anything. Do you have to do it for a long time?

I've also read that you can put it in the Sun light and the UV rays and all will make the crystals disappear.

Are there any recommendations on which method to try? Something other than a light bulb or Sun ray?

I've used the sunlight method on a few of my loose childhood figures and on my 12 back Leia. I left them out in the sun for about 25 minutes on a hot sunny day. It worked for me and I don't think the sun damaged my stuff.
    Last edited by Kenner76; 08-10-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

Not sure of any other methods but I have had success with putting 2 MOCs in the sunlight for 20 minutes over a year ago. Frosting went away and never came back. I was a little hesitant at first because I was concerned about the sunlight fading the card but being it was only 20 minutes it didn't fade.

Thanks to both of you! I'll definitely give that a shot then.

Defo use the Sunlight. Funny u mention Han, I did it many years ago with a Kenner 12 back large head Han and the frosting was zapped in less than 5mins in morning sunlight so certainly no sunlight damage.
    Red 5 standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by palitoyjunky View Post
    Defo use the Sunlight. Funny u mention Han, I did it many years ago with a Kenner 12 back large head Han and the frosting was zapped in less than 5mins in morning sunlight so certainly no sunlight damage.
    Wow. 5 minutes is pretty quick. Good to know. Hopefully I don't have to get up too early as I'm not a morning person.