Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palitoy Time Capsule Opening

Palitoy Time Capsule Opening

I'm proud to announce the opening of the Vectis Palitoy Time Capsule Lot 238 from the July 2014 auction. If anyone has any information on the contents of the scrapbooks then please post below.

Enjoy - Richard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHfbmV0JiRg
    Last edited by Richard_H; 07-18-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    1 - 0 to the Arsenal!
    member of The Vintage Rebellion Podcast
    Used to be cc4rhu but changed to avoid "confusion for no reason."

Just saw the video! Awesome. I don't have any info myself, but would be interesting to see what people post here.
    WTB: Foreign MOCs - Meccano, Harbert, PBP/Poch, Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Top Toys
    My feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1102899/

Really not that interesting, with the exception of the Vinyl Cape Jawa, plus a possibly complete loose Palitoy Death Star, mostly common stuff. No idea how much these people paid for this suitcase, not too much I hope. Palitoy time capsule is a really overstated label, I was expecting something from the Palitoy company not just some kids stuff thrown in an old suitcase. Mostly fairly common place Star Wars stuff. Shame the death star box has been cut up. Anyway, if the buyers are pleased with it, that's what matters.

That's great to see - congratulations on the win (and preserving history at the same time). A wonderful snapshot of what life was like for a Star Wars fan in the UK in 1978 to the early 1980s.

Are there specific items you are curious about in the scrapbooks? Obviously the original owner was a fan of the Marvel Star Wars weeklys as a lot of the cutouts came from there. Many of the mini posters were from images used in the presskit photos in North America. The food items (Chewbacca, X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Tusken Raider) are wrappers from Lyons Maid lollys. Some of the articles are probably from a UK magazine (House of Hammer monthly?), but they are strikingly similar to a magazine released in North America called Science Fantasy Film Classics (featuring Star Wars). I have a House of Hammer no16 that was a Star Wars special issue, so I'd wager some of the photos came from there as well. Most of the cutout stuff came from the UK Star Wars Weekly comic series though (even the Palitoy miniatures contest - very cool!).

The cardboard group shot is from the side panel of the Palitoy Death Star box. The same image was used on the box for the Sears Canada 12-pack box in 1979:

Quote Originally Posted by Cc4rhu View Post
    I'm proud to announce the opening of the Vectis Palitoy Time Capsule Lot 238 from the July 2014 auction. If anyone has any information on the contents of the scrapbooks then please post below.

Enjoy - Richard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHfbmV0JiRg
    Visit the Canadian Star Wars Gallery:
    http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/starwars.htm
    Star Wars with a Canadian focus
    WTB: a Canadian carded 4-LOM and Kenner Canada 3-Packs / Multipacks

Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    Really not that interesting, with the exception of the Vinyl Cape Jawa, plus a possibly complete loose Palitoy Death Star, mostly common stuff. No idea how much these people paid for this suitcase, not too much I hope. Palitoy time capsule is a really overstated label, I was expecting something from the Palitoy company not just some kids stuff thrown in an old suitcase. Mostly fairly common place Star Wars stuff. Shame the death star box has been cut up. Anyway, if the buyers are pleased with it, that's what matters.
    the money doesn't interest me. The VCJ is of no interest to me other than possibly helping to contribute to the palitoy vcj debate.
    the Death Star was on my wish list so I bought it for that mainly.
    the auction description came from vectis, not me.

The scrapbook, and looking at the items from an historical point of view, is something that I'll always remember. Worth every penny paid. I did the video for those interested in the content not the value.
    1 - 0 to the Arsenal!

Thank you Scott that corroborates what others are saying. The Star Warriors advert seems to be popular - any ideas where that came from?
    1 - 0 to the Arsenal!

I'm not a comic book enthusiast, but it looks like it came from a comic book. The original owner seemed to like Judge Dredd and 2000AD. Perhaps it came from one of those.

Thank you Scott that corroborates what others are saying. The Star Warriors advert seems to be popular - any ideas where that came from?

The scrapbook, and looking at the items from an historical point of view, is something that I'll always remember. Worth every penny paid. I did the video for those interested in the content not the value.
    Definitely. The advertisement for the Star Wars miniatures contest was great enough alone, but to think that you have the actual figures that the original owner won from the contest is really something! I hope you don't split up the set Richard. If you do, I think it would need to be paired with the ads, contest results and supporting letters. What a piece of history!

What is interesting to note is that only 8 figures were ready at the time of the competition.

R2, 3PO, Luke, Vader, Ben, Han, Leia and Chewie.

the Stormtrooper as a 9th figure appears in the second photo but was not ready for posting with the 8.

The Jawa, Tusken Raider and DSC were known late figures and did not appear in the second photo.
    1 - 0 to the Arsenal!

Sub-Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    Really? Really? Really?

so a contest winner for palitoy original-12 figs, a lad who entered, enchanted by the films and loved star wars entered and won this contest and recorded the process when some of the figs weren't even available...and they wrote back to him and let him know some other stuff would arrive later, imagine that disappointment, then anticipation. But also feel the joy he must have had when it did arrive, finally. He would have been the first kid to own them amongst his circle of star wars friends. How is that not interesting?

"Just some kids stuff thrown in?" what you expecting, a frozen head of a palitoy exec to recall the moment star wars came to town?

that vid bought back so many memories of entering competitions to win cool stuff we couldn't afford - that winner was so thrilled to win he recorded it in a star wars scrap book. 30+ years later we have that here to share with everyone. An encapsulation, an evocation of time and circumstance.. if that ain't a time capsule,....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast