Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus

Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus

Dark Horse released these only a few years ago......now it's Marvels turn.....

'Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years' Omnibus Announced | The Star Wars Underworld
    The first Star Wars publication following the return of the comics license to Marvel, will be a nostalgic one! StarWars.com announced the Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus today. The book will include issues 1-44 as well as Annual 1. And, in case your wondering, no the old Marvel series is not canon, it's Legends. It is slated for a January 2015 release.

Check out the official press release below,
    In 1977 a phenomenon dawned. Marvel Comics published the very first Star Wars comic-book series. Now, the House of Ideas is re-presenting those original adventures in its over-sized Omnibus format — Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years collecting Star Wars (1977) #1-44 and Annual #1.

It’s the return of the Jedi to Marvel in an opening volume that begins with Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope and ends with Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. In between, the Rebels face a wealth of new perils — from space pirate Crimson Jack to the bounty hunter Beilert Valance, as well as a surprisingly svelte Jabba the Hut (one “t”). Luke goes back to Tatooine, Leia battles alone, Han and Chewie play the deadly Big Game, and Darth Vader hunts for answers! Revisit all your old favorites and discover some new ones!

There’s no doubt, the Force is strong with this collection!

“With Star Wars poised to return to its comic book home, what better time to revisit the first adventures of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2, and, of course, Darth Vader?” says Marvel editor in chief, Axel Alonso. “I am extremely proud to present these original Star Wars stories, told as only Marvel can, in the first in a massive and glorious Omnibus series.”

Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years comes out of lightspeed this fall and is written by Roy Thomas, Howard Chaykin, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy, and Chris Claremont, with pencils by Howard Chaykin, Carmine Infantino, Walter Simonson, Herb Trimpe, Michael Golden, Al Williamson, and Mike Vosburg. Each copy of Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years will also be wrapped in a glorious covers by Howard Chaykin and Greg Hilderbrandt.

STAR WARS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC CHAYKIN COVER
    WRITTEN BY ROY THOMAS, HOWARD CHAYKIN, ARCHIE GOODWIN, JO DUFFY & CHRIS CLAREMONT
    PENCILED BY HOWARD CHAYKIN, CARMINE INFANTINO, WALTER SIMONSON, HERB TRIMPE,
    MICHAEL GOLDEN, AL WILLIAMSON & MIKE VOSBURG
    COVERS BY HOWARD CHAYKIN & GREG HILDEBRANDT

880 PGS./Rated T …$125.00
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9106-3
    STAR WARS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC HILDEBRANDT COVER (DM ONLY)
    880 PGS./Rated T …$125
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9318-0

Source: StarWars.com
    Visit my site (with over 130 unique interviews I've had with Star Wars cast & crew members)!
    Star Wars Interviews - 'Mem-Wars' from a galaxy far, far away...
    ...and StarWarsAwakens.nl: the Dutch Star Wars community!

jeez, double dippin' at it's most aggressive.... don't see this as very exciting, as there's been 3 other ways to acquire these tales over the years already... I get their reasoning but, meh.. already got 'em, none for me thx.

yeah...for a second time!! All they did was match the Omnibus art, and add the oddly absent ROTJ; not even close to making anyone replace that first collected run, I just got ROTJ separate, done. The original DH A Long Time Ago... collections w/ the funky color schemes were at least the proper comic book-sized layouts!-
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinWhiteDuke View Post
    Dark Horse released these only a few years ago......now it's Marvels turn.....

'Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years' Omnibus Announced | The Star Wars Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    jeez, double dippin' at it's most aggressive.... don't see this as very exciting, as there's been 3 other ways to acquire these tales over the years already... I get their reasoning but, meh.. already got 'em, none for me thx.
    Same for me.
    Even though I already had all of the original comics from the 80s I still bought the Dark Horse releases.
    That's enough for me.
    Visit my site (with over 130 unique interviews I've had with Star Wars cast & crew members)!
    Star Wars Interviews - 'Mem-Wars' from a galaxy far, far away...
    ...and StarWarsAwakens.nl: the Dutch Star Wars community!

I'm extremely excited for this. Anyone familiar with Marvel Omnibuses knows that the quality will far exceed the softcover "A Long Time Ago..." editions that Dark Horse released (not knocking on DH, but there are a lot of people complaining about the $125 MSRP price tag). This entire series will be a must-buy for me.

Amazing- Ive been wondering lately if there has ever been a good reprint of all the old SW comics - Looks like its coming....

Im in...

$125 a go and how many will there be? No thanks. Can't be bothered with "Legends" material which has been reprinted elsewhere several times. From what I've read of these comics they're not worth the money. Disappointing start from Marvel.

There's always someone who'll need/want this kinda deal, yeah but for me it's a bit overkill. I see nothing "wrong" with the quality either of the original collected releases, the first ALTA tall beauties, or the recent Omnibus shorter paged editions. But, SW licensees wickedly prey on OCD consumers, and some people will be buying these tales for a 3rd or 4th time.... money money money money, it's only money! How bout something, umm NEW? Reprint & compile the Bantha Tracks if you want rare & retro !!
    Last edited by jpolli666; 07-16-2014 at 06:00 AM.

man you can get away w/ the original 7 releases of the DH ALTA collections on ebay, for less than the one FIRST new book, they're perfect bud. While this is trending, the DH Omnibus that collected the Droids/Ewoks Star comics in mid 80s is stellar also, and a great companion piece- for those whom love that era, under $12 USD delivered new via ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
    Amazing- Ive been wondering lately if there has ever been a good reprint of all the old SW comics - Looks like its coming....

Im in...
    Last edited by jpolli666; 07-16-2014 at 06:03 AM.

For those who don't already have these classic SW Marvel comics, this will be a great release - oversized HC format (the first time these comics have been reprinted in HC), great reproduction, etc.

However, for those of us collectors who have been around for a quite a while (like me), these comics have been reprinted twice before, by DH in 2002-2003 (7 Trades), and also in the smaller DH Omnibus format in the last several years; it's worth noting that the later DH Omnibuses reprinted the excellent '83 ROTJ adaptation, which had not been included in the 2002-2003 Trades.

In both of these cases, these reprints were excellent - stellar reproduction, paper quality, and re-colored.

So, I personally can't justify getting this HC, especially at this expensive price ($125)...
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 07-16-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast