Thread: Never seen before SW poster, what to make of it???

Never seen before SW poster, what to make of it???

Hello fellow Collectors,
    Here we have something for those whom have seen it all. It's a 5 ft tall and 3 ft wide cardboard poster and it has the very rare space crawl with pointy W style logo design.

I've never seen it before and I would love to know more. Was this an official release? Any thoughts and comments are welcome.

It hurts to see it in this poor condition.

Cheers Jay
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes."

This is actually a hand-pasted piece composed of lobby cards and trimmed poster images. I've discussed this with a few others, and my best guess is this is something a theater created for a lobby display. Possibly just something a fan made from those pieces themselves, too, but I tend to think it saw actual use. I think the asking price is pretty nuts for it, although it is cool. I was second highest bidder on an earlier auction (for a fraction of what it is now) and the high bidder backed out, so there was no actual sale from that.

Todd
    Todd Chamberlain (todd@toychamber.com - e-mail preferred over private messages)
    The Star Wars Collectors Archive (www.theswca.com)
    Collecting vintage Star Wars action figure items, Lili Ledy, vintage store displays, clothing, bedding, food-related promo items, and much more!

I agree this must be hand-pasted. Most of the used photo's are the normal lobby cards. But how they got hold on this large size logo and it seems to have the right colour to?

Did you ever spoke to the seller and asked about it?

The price is indeed nuts.

Jay
    Last edited by Jay_San; 05-13-2014 at 09:49 AM.

I agree all the photos are from the first release of lobby cards and larger display lithos that were distributed to some theatres early on.

The Star Wars logo is very similar to the one that featured on the huge 24 sheet poster, but smaller:

The text at the bottom (apart from the Dolby logo I think) looks like it was printed onto the main white background piece, which makes me think that this probably was put together professionally, as a bespoke order, as a special display item for a specific theatre or something like that. Hope we find out more.
    Last edited by Dunk; 05-14-2014 at 04:54 AM.

I Just found a photo of Carrie Fisher signing this kind of board. Nice!

Cheers, Jay

"They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_San View Post

Cheers, Jay

Great pic, and I am 100% certain that there are a number of, lets call them 'bespoke', posters and display pieces from Star Wars that remain undocumented (I've seen a few tantalising glimpses in archival footage / photos).
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION...of little figures July 2016 UPDATE! Vintage Price Guide
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

Neat find I had not seen it before. GC
    Avid SCi-FI collectors, Props and Toys

http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/go...oneye.gif.html

Great looking poster! Cool picture of Carrie.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
    -Darth Vader

I think it's a British lobby insert...since their sizes(quad) were different than those found in the US. I can attest the shots are from an early lobby card set...but I don't think they look pasted at all...not being that squared.

I did a little search and found this http://becketts.tumblr.com/post/164569656270 so it was in London. The Dominion on Tottenham Court Road or Leicester Square?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_San View Post

Cheers, Jay

Last edited by Dunk; 09-20-2017 at 05:16 PM.