Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Find and My New Friends.

My Find and My New Friends.

What's Up Scummers,

I wanted to share the story of my recent purchase of a lot of toys from a former Kenner employee with everyone here on RS. It was a two month long saga that culminated this past Sunday when I drove out to Ohio and purchased a large lot of vintage that had been boxed up in a basement for the past 30+ years in rural Ohio.

Many of you may remember a few weeks back when I posted about a purchase of a lot of figures that contained (unbeknownst to me until I received them) six first shot cantina aliens. After learning that a few of the figures I had received were first shots, l reached out to the guy that I had purchase them from and learned that he had received them during the Christmas of 1980 from his uncle, who was an employee at Kenner at the time. I learned his uncle's name and started to do some research. I want to thank Chris Georgoulias for his assistance and guidance early on in verifying names and giving suggestions on how to proceed from his years of experience in tracking down Kenner treasure. Thanks Chris.

With just a name and some very limited info, I began the research process and was able to locate an e-mail address for the former employee. I sent an e-mail describing the purchase I made from his nephew and my interest in learning about the Star Wars times at Kenner. I then crossed my fingers and waited.... I figured one of three things would happen: 1. I would get no response, 2. I would get a response telling me to beat it and don't contact me again or 3. I'd get a response and it would go well and I'd learn some stuff about Kenner and that'd be cool......(or could there be a 4??)

A few days go by (with me checking my e-mail every 20 minutes) and then.....there it was....a response e-mail....holy S! I open it. It was short. I read. It was a number 3 response...basically stating, sorry I didn't respond right away, my wife has been in the hospital, I'd be happy to talk to you about Kenner, I'll write more soon. I respond, thanking him for taking the time to respond...etc. The next day my #3 response turned into a #4....I receive a bunch more e-mails from him all in a row, back to back...what the...could these be? Wait they all have attachments. First e-mail explained that he worked for Kenner in the Product Integrity Deparment for a few years (78' to 80') and that he used to test toys for safety and reliability. But what about all these attachments??.... Pictures. All of vintage Star Wars toys that he had saved. I thought you might like to see these, he wrote, I hope you enjoy them. MOCs, ESB 3-packs, baggies, Vader case with white cardboard wrap and insert, figure cases, unpainted die cast ships, electronic games, loose figures.....No way. The closer I looked the more excited I became. Several of the loose figures had writing on them.

Over te next few weeks, we e-mailed back and forth. Talking about all kinds of things including Kenner. Most of the time he was writing me from his wife's hospital bed-side. A recipient of a pair of new lungs, his wife was fighting the fight of her life with a variety of complications. We continue to correspond and he told me how nice it was to have someone to talk with....someone to take his mind off of the crap his wife was going through. I enjoyed being able to do that or him.

Someone I want to thank for being there for me and providing his encouragement, support and knowledge is Steve (the_dark_artist). Steve and I talked all the way through the process leading up to what I think will be the highlight of my collecting and was instrumental in pushing me along. Thanks Steve.

Flash forward a few weeks as his wife is home and doing much better. We had discussed me purchasing his toys on and off over the weeks that we wrote back and forth and a week ago we came to a deal! The next thing I know...I'm making plans to drive to OHIO. Arrangemnts were made for this past Sunday (3/16/2014). My dad had asked to drive with me, as company.....on a side note this turned out to be awesome. With my job, wife, kids and 1000 other obligations, I don't get the time to spend with my dad that I'd like. It was fitting too since my dad was the person that had introduced me to Star Wars a long time ago in a childhood far far away.... The 8 hour ride from Philadelphia to Ohio gave us a lot of time to just spend together. Prior to leaving my Kenner friend insisted that my dad and I stay with him and his wife for the night instead of turning around and driving back home! He said, that way we could talk more about "Kenner's" (that's how he would say it). Unreal!

Sunday morning, dad and I are on the way....and[IMG][/IMG]
    -Gary

Looking for ESB era First Shots - I have great trade items.

We arrive in rural Ohio and are greeted with a steak dinner at the kitchen table and a spread of Kenner history on the dining room table!![IMG][/IMG]
    -Gary

We talk about Kenner and everything else over Guinness and games of pool at his house late into the evening. Truly amazing! My dad and I had made a new friend and had an awesome time.[IMG][/IMG]
    This is me and my new friend and the purchase that I made. It ended up containing 10 first shots and some marked test samples from the Product Integrity lab. Also two die cast prototypes that were used in testing prior to production (technically First Shots for lack of a better term).
    -Gary

The whole lot was accompanied by a letter that was appropriately entitled "KENNER'S" describing the work that he did at Kenner and the story behind the pieces that I had purchased. The experience was amazing. I hope you all enjoyed hearing about it. I'm still going through everything and will be offering up a lot of my find (doubles..etc) here on RS in the near future. Thanks for reading.
    -Gary

Incredibly awesome find and story! Very cool that your persistence paid off and you made a friend to boot (not to mention a road trip with Dad!). Looking forward to more pics. Congrats!
    WTB unpainted micro white Bespin Guard
    Feedback Thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1062118/

This is a great story on so many levels. Hope you got a good deal for the stuff and it sounds like you gave him some good friendship as well. I am in Ohio and while I hesitate to ask where it was for fear that it was in my backyard, I might as well ask......

Oh, and put me down for some first shots!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on this epic find.

Ross

Fantastic story! What made it even better was that you were able to share it with your Dad. Thanks for sharing.
    Visit the Canadian Star Wars Gallery:
    http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/starwars.htm
    Star Wars with a Canadian focus
    WTB: a Canadian carded 4-LOM and Kenner Canada 3-Packs / Multipacks

Wow, must have taken some deep pockets to buy the whole lot... 3 packs in there too! Congratulations!

What is the Vader case with the plain white sleeve?
    BONSAI'S BIG COLLECTION...of little figures July 2016 UPDATE! Vintage Price Guide
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1086230/

Very cool story and an amazing find! It's a major bonus that you were able to share it with your dad. Thanks for sharing your story and score with us.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai_Tree_Ent View Post
    Wow, must have taken some deep pockets to buy the whole lot... 3 packs in there too! Congratulations!

What is the Vader case with the plain white sleeve?
    Basically it's an EP I guess. Was a sample prior to printing graphics on it. The interior insert that was produce with pictures of figures is also white in this example.
    -Gary

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast