Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucasfilm Story Group to Ensure Star Wars Continuity Across All Platforms

Hopefully anyone making side material will still retain to level of freedom they do right now by simply accepting a non-canon label in this new two tier system, which effectively means nothing would really change. There would still be canon and EU material.

This just seems more like a continuation of what we saw with TCW; an effort to canonize any side material they consider their pet projects.

Trying to stay optimistic about this as is does have potential benefits and it would be cool to see the main canon expand beyond its current boundaries, even though it does also have the potential drawbacks of stiffling creativity, watering down side projects and scaring away/preventing third parties from contributing to Star Wars lore. Leeland Chee and Lucas have always been pretty good in the past about letting leaving us EU fans alone and letting us have our fun, so I'm not too worried in that respect. It's just an overzealous Disney that may pose a problem. As long as they don't start being ***** and refusing to grant licenses we should be fine.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-07-2014 at 06:05 PM.

So all the EU is now non-canon. This should please the EU-haters... until they realize Disney is basically rebooting the whole thing and creating their own EU.

Let's add this to the already long list of bad news we've received since Disney has taken over. I'm seriously about to quit now. I think I'll just enjoy the existing movies and selected EU material I like and pretend the new Di$n€ projects never happened.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

I truly don't understand why this matters. The material is all out there. I own it. I've consumed and enjoyed it, well most of it. Whether or not they say it is canon, it doesn't affect my experience of it or my enjoyment. I fully realize that some things didn't happen (I can't imagine Han and Chewie really fought zombies). But, I've always accepted it all as possible adventures of my favorite characters. This doesn't mean a thing to me.

Am I alone in simply not caring what someone defines as canon or non-canon? I appreciate the stories and characters for what they are - no one can erase or devalue a segment of the SW universe in my eyes. Even the Holiday Special will always exist...

I have my own preferences on what is part of the SW mythos and that's fine by me. I can just leave out the parts that I have no interest in and enjoy whatever's coming down the Disney pipeline.

Literally the only thing that even gives me some pause is the comic switch back to Marvel. I was simply not a fan of the stories Marvel put out long ago (and even some of their superhero arcs have been questionable in recent years). I know some do not like Dark Horse, but I always found most of what they put out to be of good quality and engaging...
    *Most Wanted: Hasbro to 'wise up'!

Marvel had excellent internal consistency throughout the whole run, which was something way ahead of it's time.
    Star Wars collector 1978-2012

From what I read on Yahoo and Hollywood Reporter, they are reporting old/non-news to the fandom. It appears to me that they are explaining to the general, "What was the name of that black guy that Han Solo punched?" public that there is such a thing as an EU and continuity.
    "The truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Ben Kenobi
    If Disney truly wants "Rebels" to succeed, it will put the show on basic cable. I will not pay extra on an already high monthly cable bill to watch one show on one network.

The Holiday Special: Special Edition coming to DVD for Life Day '14? Disney - we'll sell anything if it'll make a buck.
    If Disney truly wants "Rebels" to succeed, it will put the show on basic cable. I will not pay extra on an already high monthly cable bill to watch one show on one network.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    Marvel had excellent internal consistency throughout the whole run, which was something way ahead of it's time.
    The Goodwin/Williamson era was some of the finest scripting and art I have ever seen in comics. And the whole run between Empire and Jedi had some great stories.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast