Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lemcool's Story & Collection... Mostly From "The Wild"

Lemcool's Story & Collection... Mostly From "The Wild"

My brother and I began collecting Star Wars toys back in 1995. I was 13 and he was 11. I remember walking through Trader's World Flea Market north of Cincinnati with my parents when I came upon "Toys Plus of Cincinnati" and saw the most amazing display of vintage plastic glory I had ever seen in my life. Perusing the booth, I saw many figures that I recognized as having as a child in preschool, as many kids I went to school with had parents who worked for Kenner and would drop off boxes and boxes of overstock action figures in plastic baggies. They brought back fond memories, and the Tie Fighter Pilot stood out to me in particular, since I recall being about 9 years old at an antique show with my dad and it was the first toy I even haggled on in my life. He was complete with his gun and the dealer was asking $5... I got him for $3. Even though I was young, my parents' love for collecting antique tin toys had trickled over to my brother and me and we decided at that moment that we wanted to collect Star Wars figures. We took all of our petty savings money and bought a Darth Vader head case with full of near mint figures with weapons for about $120. We were hooked.

We several years going to toy shows, endlessly searching the local flea markets, and all the time bonding as a family. My mother even bought us our first holy grail figure the Christmas of 2000: A complete Yak Face. We continued to collect, but were swayed by the dark side into collecting the newer carded Star Wars items, which culminated in me getting my first real job at the age of 15 at the local Toys R Us. I would ask for any of the store displays that came in, where I would then drag to the flea market and trade for other new items. At that time, I couldn't understand who in their right mind would pay $300 for a 21-back Boba Fett

After years of collecting, almost exclusively consisting of items we bought from Don Gibbs at Toys Plus, I left for college, and our collection came to a stand-still. It wasn't until last year my brother and I started watching "Toy Hunter" that we had our interest piqued again. The episodes in Cincinnati struck a chord with me, because I could see all the potential for hidden treasures, items that weren't boxed, and Kenner employees that were sitting on some incredible items. With this motivation behind us, my brother and I hit the pavement and began to tenaciously and aggressively hit every avenue to find these treasures. While we each have our own place, we keep the majority of our collection still in my parents' basement where it all started. The wood paneling reminds us of a simpler time and keeps those memories alive of waking up early on a Saturday morning to go treasure hunting at the flea market. What I have pictured in this thread is 90% from the effort we've put forth over the past year. Even items from our original collection have largely been replaced with better examples we've found in Cincinnati and surrounding markets. I want to thank everyone who has contributed on this forum over the past year and for those I've gotten to know on a personal level, specifically Bill Wills. I will try my best to update this thread as I come across more items in our quest to build our collection.

Current Collection in my theater / media room:

The Big Collection:

Last edited by Lemcool; 12-28-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Feedback Thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1098457/
    Looking for a Governor Koong Coin...

Thanks for sharing Sean. Those gold Vader cases are awesome. Never seen a shipping case for the speeder bike pedal cars. Awesome stuff!!!!
    Always looking for vintage store displays, vintage shipping boxes and Jawa items.
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1077974/ My feedback Thread

Very nice collection and displayed really well.
    Some where in the Outer Rim Territories...

That's quite the collection for only being at it for a year. You've managed to get a lot of key pieces already. The proto coins are certainly a favorite of mine to to look at and I look forward to see what you uncover in 2014.
    Collection Website|U Grade FAQ|My Feedback

WTB: Luke Jedi POTF Proof

Great collection, and even cooler you managed to pluck them from the wild with your bro. It does not get much better than that!

great collection. some amazing treasures hiding in there.
    my feedback
    LAUGH IT UP FUZZBALL!

Very nice!
    -Rich
    Feedback Thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1100288/
    My Collection: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1107391/
    "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

What a GREAT story Sean. Thanks for sharing my friend : )
    I have a couple questions... What are your favorite items you've found and what are the most valuable pieces you found? I absolutely love the first shots pictured here...
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogall...3/DSC_0954.JPG
    I think because you and your brother do this together, that's pretty special. Really enjoyed reading and looking at your collection photos. Thanks, -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JediMarty View Post
    Thanks for sharing Sean. Those gold Vader cases are awesome. Never seen a shipping case for the speeder bike pedal cars. Awesome stuff!!!!
    The shipping case came from one of the truck drivers who would carry all the toys out of the factory. He told me that their were several pedal cars left over after all the deliveries to the stores and I think he said that he was able to buy as many was he wanted for $15 a piece. He wanted to buy all of them, but his wife wouldn't let him because of the size of it. It was never used and sat out in a storage shed all these years until I met with him this summer. My brother and I got to put it together on our driveway when we brought it home.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_K View Post
    That's quite the collection for only being at it for a year. You've managed to get a lot of key pieces already. The proto coins are certainly a favorite of mine to to look at and I look forward to see what you uncover in 2014.
    Thanks- my ultimate goal is a rocket firing Boba Fett prototype. It was the one toy that got away from me all those years ago... I actually met one guy who has two of them, but he has them in a safety deposit box and I think it would take an act of God to pry them from his grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Artist View Post
    What a GREAT story Sean. Thanks for sharing my friend : )
    I have a couple questions... What are your favorite items you've found and what are the most valuable pieces you found? I absolutely love the first shots pictured here...
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogall...3/DSC_0954.JPG
    I think because you and your brother do this together, that's pretty special. Really enjoyed reading and looking at your collection photos. Thanks, -Steve
    Thanks Steve! I would say the most valuable would be the prototype coin find that I was involved with. I'm sure everyone here is familiar with that story, and it was my first introduction into that part of the niche collecting. As for the value of the other items, it's hard to say since I don't have any historical sales to base it off of.

As for my favorites, here are a few:

* Pedal Car Speeder Bike- Our first child, a son, is due next month and he will get to ride on it
    * X-Wing Aces Target Game- This thing is incredible. You can plug it in, and blow up TIE Fighters. Pretty much the coolest electronic gizmo ever made for Star Wars. Came from the same source as the pedal car.
    * Blue Snaggletooth First Shot- I was coming home from traveling out of town and saw a Craigslist ad for $50 for a really rough Blue Snaggletooth. I called the guy and he told me it was a first shot, and $50 was a firm price. I met up with him and it was indeed legit. Another guy had called before me and offered the guy $40.
    * 12" Obi-Wan Kenobi First Shot w/ sample unproduced cloak and tunic. Just really cool and his cape has a good red tint to it.
    * Dengar First Shot- My brother's friend gave this to us for a few figures to complete his loose collection. He knew what it was and thought it had a better home in our collection since we appreciated it.
    * Hammerhead First Shot- We were going through a bunch of figures we had bought in an auction lot of rough figures for $30 and pulled him out. He almost slipped past and made it into our $2 beater pile at our first toy show.
    * VC Jawa still in the bubble- We have acquired probably close to 1,200 loose figures this year and one of the only US production variants we have never found in the wild is a VC Jawa. We traded some VERY good stuff for this at a toy show.
    * The business card from Toys Plus that has Don's handwriting on it to my mom that says, "I have a Yak Face coming in tomorrow. I will hold it for you." He handed it to her when we weren't looking
    * A homemade book that features what I believe to be every Star Wars newspaper comic. Each one of hand-cut using an Exacto knife and meticulously glued into a homemade book. Incredible and I'm sure it took someone a very long time to create.

My favorite thing of all is the time I've been able to spend with my brother. We don't have much in common, but the thrill of the hunt and never knowing what you're going to find has really helped us to form a strong bond. He's become one of my best friends because of our love for collecting Star Wars items. I wouldn't trade the time with him for all the Rocket Firing Boba Fett's in the world.
    Feedback Thread: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1098457/
    Looking for a Governor Koong Coin...

love the set up . I really like the simple X-wing unboxed. It makes me remember my childhood playing with one will it was worn. great story and collection.

-James

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast