Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries 3D Printed 1/6 Scale Gonk Droid

Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries 3D Printed 1/6 Scale Gonk Droid

There's no good 1/6 scale Gonk Droid available besides the vintage styled GG one, so I decided to make my own. The whole figure (basides the wires on the feet) is 3D printed ABS plastic, including the ball jointed hips and ankles. I wrote up a whole thing about the process on my site, but I'll post some highlights below:

Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries 3D Printed Gonk Droid on Prometheus Rising Studios

Last edited by Prometheum5; 09-28-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Wow this is excellent ! really detailed work . You dont see the gonk droid come up often, i like these guys. this is well done !!

That is really damn cool! I know that some people are complaining about the scoring from 3D printed items, but I don't think you even notice at this scale.
    The paint apps you applied hide the imperfections from the printing process: this little droid looks fantastic!

Now we'll have to see how well the scoring shows up at a 3.75" scale...
    *Most Wanted: Hasbro to 'wise up'!

Quote Originally Posted by JediMerc View Post
    That is really damn cool! I know that some people are complaining about the scoring from 3D printed items, but I don't think you even notice at this scale.
    The paint apps you applied hide the imperfections from the printing process: this little droid looks fantastic!

Now we'll have to see how well the scoring shows up at a 3.75" scale...

Thanks! I actually have a process for smoothing over the surfaces on my 3D printed parts that works pretty well. The only problem I ran into here is that the Gonk did not fit in the jar I use, so once I buy a few supplies any more Gonks I make will be just as smooth as my other printed figures. Plus, you are right, all the weathering and abuse helps hide that last little bit of surface imperfection I did not clean up. I'm thinking about making a second body with the multiple tiers like seen in the Prequels to get some more variety, and then maybe I'll pick up GG's jumbo vintage Power Droid to start a whole family

AWESOME!!

I want one, how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Spookymufu View Post
    AWESOME!!

I want one, how much?
    yes i second that!
    astromech god www.youtube.com/rasputin37
    "courtesy is the glue which holds society together"

Man that is pretty damn cool alright. I'll third it. $?
    You will never be forgotten, For though we are apart
    You are always and forever, Alive within my heart.
    In Loving Memory "Wiener" 1972 - 2010 My wife, my best friend, my soul mate.

Incredibly cool. Love me some power droids, and this is the king of them.
    "...cross me, and you'll soon discover that under this playful, boyish exterior beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic maniac."
    -Lord Edmund Blackadder II

Really cool, 3d will set a new paradigm to the custom world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast